Secondary Market "Do's and Dont's"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hey gang

I'm posting this here because I am particularly interested in the views of high-end collectors on this subject.

On the next episode of the Action Figure Blues Podcast, our discussion topic is "The Secondary Market: eBay and other necessary eVils"

We are keen to get as many views as we can on the best ways to go about selling and buying on the secondary market - eBay and other outlets including message board trades and transactions.

If you have any tips, things to avoid or great stories about your experiences with this, we'd love to hear them, and they may well be read out on the show!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Scott (Andy)

Don't pay the stupid price. Nuff said..

Indeed - but for someone new to the game, how would you recommend they do their research to avoid this?

I know that when I first started collecting I paid some silly eBay prices because I wasn't "in the know". We want to try to create that sort of resource for collectors, so all thoughts are helpful!

Go out in the wild and study dolphins because you'll have to pay Flipper.

I'm about 3 weeks into collecting and I've so far learned to order the EX if I like something because you can always sell it later if you tire of it. Once its gone, the 2ndary price hurts.

Well this is my plan.

As you can see, I'm definitely late. I collect by characters. As long as quality and the interpretation of the character is good, I'll buy the statue. I don't go by "the best statue" for the character. Scales does not limit me as well. I have low standards honestly when it comes to liking a statue, but I don't blame folks for having a high one.

Example: Dr. Doom. Sideshow's PF is definitely the best statue of the character and probably the best statue Sideshow has ever done so far. Would I like to own it? Of course. Would I pay $2k for it? Hell no. I would settle for the Koto or Bowen version. However I would make an exception for characters I "truly" love. The Spidey Comi and Venom Comi are a very few I would weakly pay the price.

This is just me. I see many collectors limited by scale and quality. Frankly, I am not one of them.

I know, I follow a weird code...

That's all good advice.

I definitely agree, wanderlai - order at the time if you can as I have so often regretted it and paid more later.

WM - I agree about Dr Doom - sometimes you just have to say "I would love it, but I love eating and having a house more." ;)

I bought the Koto version but have recently swapped it for the Bowen as I prefer it.

Don't pay the stupid price. Nuff said..

Well this is my plan.

As you can see, I'm definitely late. I collect by characters. As long as quality and the interpretation of the character is good, I'll buy the statue. I don't go by "the best statue" for the character. Scales does not limit me as well. I have low standards honestly when it comes to liking a statue, but I don't blame folks for having a high one.

Example: Dr. Doom. Sideshow's PF is definitely the best statue of the character and probably the best statue Sideshow has ever done so far. Would I like to own it? Of course. Would I pay $2k for it? Hell no. I would settle for the Koto or Bowen version. However I would make an exception for characters I "truly" love. The Spidey Comi and Venom Comi are a very few I would weakly pay the price.

This is just me. I see many collectors limited by scale and quality. Frankly, I am not one of them.

I know, I follow a weird code...

Yah don't pay stupid prices like Doom or the Grey Hulk PFs.......

.......I paid $3725 for the 2.:gah:

However, if you really want it, then unfortunately you will have to pay the piper. :monkey2

I dont pay over retail....or maybe very little over retail for a statue. Sideshow statues are always being made and there will be plenty made now and in the future that i will enjoy... i know people like to make money off this hobby but they just cant make it off of me :)

That's why you're a fool sensei!!!!!!!!
:lol Hey if you want that bad, go for it. I don't blame ya.

BTW I got my Hulk PF....

Spoiler Spoiler:

:eek: :peace

Also, think about trades or purchases from fellow message board members - tips for that too would be helpful!

Trade is a different story. I can agree with most trades people do. Like a Spidey Comi + a bit of $ = Dr Doom PF. Pretty acceptable. It all depends how bad you want it.

Ain't that right sensei?

Also, think about trades or purchases from fellow message board members - tips for that too would be helpful!

Beware of trading because there are a lot of scams going on. Insure your products at full value; get the guys phone number & verify the address and always get tracking number (signature even better). Personally I would never trade a high end collectible unless the person is local.

I'd say that you should search every online retailer (or comic book shop if that's an option) before going to eBay. Sometimes you can find even difficult-to-find items at retailers such as BBTS for much lower prices than those on eBay.
If the product you're looking for is long sold-out, chances are the price it's going for in the secondary market won't fluctuate much, so it's advisable to have patience and look for deals in boards like this one and others.
For some types of products eBay might also offer the added risk of buying unauthentic pieces. While seasoned collectors can spot unauthorized reproductions with some ease in most cases, newcomers might not and might be seduced by the lower price the bootlegs usually go for (usually must be stressed).
If you need to buy things in the secondary market, then patience is always a virtue.
Do your research by looking at recently-finished auctions on eBay as well as on message boards to have a clear picture of the current price of what you're looking for. Read discussion threads about the product you want. Oh, and ask around if you're unsure. Just be polite and people will usually be polite towards you as well, even if you're a complete newbie.
That's it for me I guess.

Beware of trading because there are a lot of scams going on. Insure your products at full value; get the guys phone number & verify the address and always get tracking number (signature even better). Personally I would never trade a high end collectible unless the person is local.

Definitely true. Trade locally or ____ could get nasty

Back