Second Chance - Movies you once hated and now like

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a movie you absolutely hated, and then by whatever chance, watched the film again and liked it?

One that comes to mind for me was Dumb and Dumber, I hated this movie when I saw it in the theater, but ended up watching it again on TV only to make a complete 180 degree turn of opinion on it. To be fair I think it had more to do with the audience I saw this with being complete idiots (loud talking, laser pointers on the screen etc) and ruining whatever chance I had to enjoy it.

So, in the interest of encouraging others to give a movie a second chance, I thought I'd start this thread.

Would be curious to see if this thread also managed to change some opinions by getting people to watch a movie again.

Anchorman- went to the theaters and left early cause I couldn't stand it, now I love it

Iron man 2- hated it in theaters, now it's one of my favorite marvel movies, I've probably watched it the most

Cap: First Avenger- thought it was pretty weak in theaters, now one of my favorites

On the other hand, loved Thor 2 in theaters, did not enjoy it on DVD

Alien 3

Though I can't remember if I outright hated it. I was just upset that they wrote out Hicks and Newt. And I guess I kinda missed the guns.

Its funny I can think of movies I used to love but now don't like but not a single one that I first hated and then changed my mind about later.

Batman Returns. Hated it, saw it again a couple of years ago and dug it. Lots of things went over my head. I was too harsh on it, but still weird though.

Die Hard 2. Thought it sucked, especially compared to the 1st and Vengeance. Now I like it.

Back to the Future 3. Hated it when I was a kid, I didn't get that they were going for a western. Really like it now.

Robocop 2. Hated it, thought it sucked balls. Now, I really sort of dig it even though it doesn't touch the original.

Temple of Doom. Sort of like Batman Returns. First time I saw it, the experience was just jarring and whacky. Now, I think it's my favorite Indiana Jones movie.

Alien 3
dark knight rises
rob zombie's halloween
the Simpsons movie
resident evil 3

i hated these when they came out but like them now.
I think it had more to do with being really disappointed in the theater but appreciating them at home

Its funny I can think of movies I used to love but now don't like but not a single one that I first hated and then changed my mind about later.

yeah that how I felt about it right now. it was much easier to think of movies that i dont like know that i used to love

I can't remember any movies that if I hated them at first that I liked them any better later.

I will confess on not liking Fellowship of the Ring very much at first, but when I seen it at the theater, I had just broken up with a long time boyfriend and I wasn't in the mood for much of anything. I thought seeing a movie I waited a long time to see would cheer me up, but it just ruined the experience. :(

I totally love it now.

AVP – WTF is this? In the theatres. Guilty pleasure now
Aliens 3 – WTF is this? In the theatres. Enjoyed the Assembled Cut version (Sometimes even better than Aliens)

Any movie I dislike on first viewing rarely get a second chance. However I very much disliked Dark of the Moon in the theaters but watched a bit of it on cable recently and it's not SO bad now. I guess that's something.

I don't usually re-watch movies I "hate," but one I initially wasn't blown away with but learned to love was the Big Lebowski, which I first saw in the theaters.

Any movie I dislike on first viewing rarely get a second chance. However I very much disliked Dark of the Moon in the theaters but watched a bit of it on cable recently and it's not SO bad now. I guess that's something.

I agree but I think some movies just stay with you even if you hated them. Sometimes they stay with me because it makes me wonder why I hated it so much to begin with.
sometimes I repeat viewings of a movie just to see what was so bad about it and because of repeating it I end up liking it, so it is kind of a vicious circle

I just didn't get Austin Powers when I first saw it. Thought it was possibly the dumbest movie I'd ever seen. Now, it's not so bad.

Most Cohen Brothers movies are an acquired taste for me ... but I've gotten to the point that No Country and Fargo are among my favorites. I'm still not sure I entirely get Lebowski, though.

SnakeDoc

Anchorman was mine. I remember sitting in the theater wondering what the **** I was watching. Now I love it and can quote it religiously.

The first Austin Powers was like that too. I watched it a 2nd time while drunk and for some reason that was the key. Now I enjoy it.

i just remembered another one.

Superbad. No one in the theater was laughing, I really didn't get what was the hype about, it felt so random and not funny. But then when I saw it again I guess it just clicked for me the second time

I just didn't get Austin Powers when I first saw it. Thought it was possibly the dumbest movie I'd ever seen. Now, it's not so bad.

Most Cohen Brothers movies are an acquired taste for me ... but I've gotten to the point that No Country and Fargo are among my favorites. I'm still not sure I entirely get Lebowski, though.

SnakeDoc

Yeah, I just can't get into Lebowski at all.

SnakeDoc
I'm the same way, in that Coen films take multiple watches to fully get. But I can usually understand and appreciate that they are great films on first watch.

Yeah, I just can't get into Lebowski at all.
Really? That's too bad. One of the top 3 comedies made over the last 25 years or so IMO.

Most recently after getting the Blu Ray sets:

Rocky V: Yes, its kinda lame. But again.. watching the entire series in sequence, it wasen't that bad. It kinda made sense. That said.. Rocky Balboa still kicks its ass to outer space.

Superman Returns: Blasphemous to say... but.. after rewatching Superman the movie as an adult.. i thought it was kinda slow. Its charming, but i find it... kinda boring. When re-watching Returns... its also kinda slow and nothing much really happens, kinda like Superman the movie. Its not great, but since it follows the spirit of the first movie... i find it ok~ kinda like it too.

Pulp Fiction - embarassed to admit, but the first time i saw it, i didn't get the hype and cult status of the movie. I was like... these greaseballs are all unlikable, they talk about nothing, and who cares what happens to them... "uck'em. Then i went to the theater and saw Kill Bill vol.1, and it blew me away. I rented Reservoir Dogs for the first time.. loved it, and went back to Pulp Fiction and got it. Became one of my favorites. Jackie Brown not so much.

I can't think of any movie that I didn't like initially, but like now. But if I could veer into another entertainment area... as a kid I couldn't stand the TV show MASH. Hated it... but now, in my 'old' age, I really like it. I've watched it in syndication all the way through the series several times.

Back