SDCC 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phenix

Super Freak
Reaction score
Alright, I'm going to go ahead and start this now. I got a message recently that they will soon be getting the pre-registered people up and ready to finish registration for next year.

So, who's already planning on going? I'm sure once they announce general public registration, things will go crazy again. Hopefully this time the system will work the first time.

Once that's done we'll have the craziness of hotel registration, which usually opens up around March.

I pre-registered for next year (yes I waited in those ridiculously long lines) so I know my wife and I will be going.

Freaks Attending:

Phenix
GrueSam
Wetanut
The Josh
LaMelnik
Jen
IrishJedi
316what

Last edited:
metoo.gif

This year was my first year at SDCC. Loved it, would love to go next year. As soon as public release is available, I'll be at my computer hitting F5 a million times :lol

I wish I could go so bad. But I know it's just too much for me to go. The only thing my wife would be interested in is the Twilight crap. If there ever was a year to go next year would be it. With the end of the world coming and all.:panic:

For people that fly into San Diego from the east coast, how much would you say you spent after it's all said and done.

Well, I'm in AZ and I drive there. However an airline ticket for me to get to the east coast and back is usually about $300-$400. I usually stay at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel (which is right next to the convention center) and that usually costs around $1600 for the whole event (however we usually split the cost with another couple). The tickets are going to be $175 for the full event this year.

I know you can coordinate with some of the freaks here to share a room, so you can probably do the trip on $1,000 minimum, but that won't get you any exclusives and very cheap meals. Well maybe you'll be able to fit in an exclusive, it just depends on how many people you room with.

For people that fly into San Diego from the east coast, how much would you say you spent after it's all said and done.

Flying into LA is generally about $70-$100 cheaper in my experience, so if you have any friends up there, I'd definitely recommend doing that instead of flying right into SD - It's only like a 2 hour drive between the two and it's gorgeous (right along the ocean if you go a certain way).

Flying right into SD a couple years ago was like...$350 or so, from Ohio for me, but that was booking a bit closer to the convention than I would have liked.

I'm stressed out about registration for next year! I had these grand plans to register at-con this year but it was a total chaotic mess and I ended up not having time ): Online registration was such a nightmare for this year, I'm not looking forward to it at ALL.

Good god, already people have to start thinking about this? Maybe I don't really ever want to go to one. The more I read about how insane making the plans to go are the more I'm not interested in one day going.

Good god, already people have to start thinking about this? Maybe I don't really ever want to go to one. The more I read about how insane making the plans to go are the more I'm not interested in one day going.

Yup too crazy for me... i would rather put that money towards a nice statue or somthing but it does look fun.

Flying into LA is generally about $70-$100 cheaper in my experience, so if you have any friends up there, I'd definitely recommend doing that instead of flying right into SD - It's only like a 2 hour drive between the two and it's gorgeous (right along the ocean if you go a certain way).

Flying right into SD a couple years ago was like...$350 or so, from Ohio for me, but that was booking a bit closer to the convention than I would have liked.

I'm stressed out about registration for next year! I had these grand plans to register at-con this year but it was a total chaotic mess and I ended up not having time ): Online registration was such a nightmare for this year, I'm not looking forward to it at ALL.
You would be lucky to drive from LAX to SD in two hours taking the freeway let alone the coastal route.

You would be lucky to drive from LAX to SD in two hours taking the freeway let alone the coastal route.

Oh, I've never driven direct from LAX to SD - but three years running leaving from North Hollywood and stopping off for breakfast in Riverside (friend's mom always cooks for us, it's so sweet) it's never taken more than like 2 and a half - not including our breakfast break, of course.

Though, leaving from SD in the heart of rush hour on Sunday caused the trip to push like 4 hours, easily. That was a terrible plan on our part for sure.

that's why I'm not. if you have to fight over just getting the passes, it's not worth it

I've been to the last three '09, '10 & '11 don't think I'm going to another on for a good while. Maybe the luster of statue collecting is wearing off and don't feel the need to go down to SD just to see the Sideshow booth. Considering that what you might see in not necessarily what you might get (e.g. Rogue PF) for the finished product. I'll save a good deal of money considering I was taking myself, the wifey & my four teenaged kids on Fri & Sat.

Lets see what I'll save...

12 tickets (Fri & Sat)
6 round trip Amtrak tickets from OX to SD
1 night, 2 rooms hotel stay at the Hilton

Money SAVED...:yess:

I flew into SD from Tampa and after flight and hotel with friends and eating and the few things I bought...Id say I spent almost a grand.

Is it really around $400 per night at that hotel?

During SDCC, yes. Especially when you make your reservation for 4 people. This year I'll only make the reservation for 2. I think the SDCC rate for the hotel is around $300 per night. They don't have last years rates up anymore, so I can't compare. Unfortunately the prices at all those hotels increase for that week, and it's very difficult to make reservations at any of them for the event without going through the convention site.

Ahhhhhhhh, but it obviously is to those of us who go year after year. :lecture

You are correct. This year will be my 4th year, and hopefully many more to come.

Although, my wife did mention that if we didn't hit up Disneyland beforehand she might want to leave the con early to go. If that happens I may just tell her to leave me at the con......

Back