Schweinsteiger take legal action after toymaker releases Nazi soldiers resembling him

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIBBY1957DOG

Super Freak
Reaction score
not sure if this is of interest to many on here or this is the right place to post it ,but it highlights the "looke likee "nature of some of these figures and sculpts were seeing lately

German Manchester United star Bastian Schweinsteiger takes legal action after toymaker releases Nazi soldiers resembling him... named Bastian

Manchester United footballer Bastian Schweinsteiger has launched legal proceedings against a toymaker marketing Second World War Nazi soldier dolls named after him and looking like him.

The 'Bastian' range of toy soldiers has a figure looking like the 31-year-old German midfielder - dressed as a Wehrmacht veteran complete with swastika-bearing eagle on his uniform.

Marketing photographs of the Bastian figure show him posing in his uniform, decorated with the Nazi eagle.

1F925B2E00000578-3284326-image-a-31_1445505938073.jpg

2DA8D11700000578-3284326-image-m-30_1445505927797.jpg

Others show him accessorised and dressed for winter fighting operations, carrying canteens, a backpack and other items.

In one image, he wears the medal ribbon given to soldiers who took part in the first winter offensive in Russia in 1941.

The Chinese company marketing 'Bastian', named DiD and based in Hong Kong, described his appearance to the football superstar as 'purely coincidental'.

It added: 'The figure is a member of a Wehrmacht supply unit, a so-called "kitchen boy".'

A Dutch firm was contracted to begin selling the figures in Europe for £65 each but that looks doubtful now lawyers for Schweinsteiger are involved.

Records show that Japanese businessman Takuya Umezawa is the director of the firm which also produces James Bond dolls and First World War soldier figures.

German newspaper Bild spoke with DiD representative Patrick Chan in Hong Kong, who told the newspaper: 'We offer no figures based on the footballer. The resemblance is purely coincidental.'

He added: 'The figure is based on a typical German. We believe most Germans look like this. Bastian is a common name in Germany.'

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Media lawyer Ulrich Amelung said it was a clear violation of the rights of Schweinsteiger, and the portrayal of him wearing a swastika uniform was a 'clear case of defamation and insult'.

A spokesperson for Schweinsteiger's management team confirmed to MailOnline it had taken legal action regarding the dolls, adding they were doing 'everything in our power' to prevent their sale.

MailOnline has requested comment from DiD.

The DiD company website states it is based in Hong Kong, with its own factories operating in south China. It was established in 2003.

Although it produces its own figurines, it claims to also manufacture products for other companies, including Hasbro and Bandai.

The company's website stated: 'DID produce over 50 different items a year that no one in the industry can match.

'Thus, realistic, lifelike and accuracy are what you can find in all the DID products such as the widely accepted WWII series action figures.'

I know I shouldn't laugh but :lolI hope he shows up in Toy Story 4 My favourite bit is:

The figure is based on a typical German. We believe most Germans look like this.:lol

I think Dragon had made a WWII American soldier with Raul's face once. It's common practice for DiD to use celebrities for their head sculpts.

1/6 is getting more mainstream. Although Dragon and, to a lesser extent, DiD have been doing it for years, it can't fly under the radar. For a studio it's probably not worth it to go after the bootleggers, but this is an individual who objects to being portrayed as a Nazi.

1/6 is getting more mainstream. Although Dragon and, to a lesser extent, DiD have been doing it for years, it can't fly under the radar. For a studio it's probably not worth it to go after the bootleggers, but this is an individual who objects to being portrayed as a Nazi.

Who can blame him? I think it is pretty low from DiD to have used his sculpt , considering he is German , or any public figures for that matter.

They've used the likenesses of James Coburn, George C. Scott and Thomas Kretschmann in recent figures with no legal action right? I don't know how much this is really down to the German National Football Team Captain being portrayed as a lowly cookhouse boy.

I don't really see a resemblance there. I remember Robert Knepper's likeness was used for a DiD Nazi figure, too... but, he didn't go nuts over it.

"We believe most Germans look like this"

Wellll... maybe had things turned out differently in 1945, but I don't think you're on the money there Mr. Chan.

Not sure that "We think all Germans look like that" is the best thing to be saying in defense of the product :lol

If DiD wanted to do a Man Utd tribute with less potential controversy they could release the following,

A fat English soldier called "Wayne".

"Eric", a member of the French Resistance.

"Alex", a purple faced, highly decorated Scottish general.

"We believe most Germans look like this"

Wellll... maybe had things turned out differently in 1945, but I don't think you're on the money there Mr. Chan.
He doesnt have blond hair :lol

Just called my friend who told me he is 100% German, however, he looks nothing like this guy.

He's no longer my friend for being a liar.

Yeah I guess if Germany could re-write history they would blot out 1933-45. What gets me is DID called the fig ' Bastian ' :slap because according to DID Bastian is a typical German name? Why not call it Wolfgang or Fritz.
Looks a nice fig anyway, DID do some great Army figs especially WW2.

Back