Scared of Sideshow's policies sometimes....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand this....

....but in the same vein, I would think that a PF Creature from the Black lagoon would probably sell better than any of the rest. It has been my experience that Creature from the Black Lagoon is a really popular Uni-monster. Also, on the 1:1 Universal front, I submit this. Clearly Frankenstein would sell better than Ardeth Bey. He is a more "recognized" horror icon. I bought the Ardeth, but if Sideshow chose to stop with Bela, I would be really disappointed. My absolute die hard wants if they eke a few more out would be:

1/4 scale Monsters:

a toss up between either Creature or Bride.

1:1 busts of Monsters:

I would like to have the fab four covered at elast. We have a Mummy with Ardeth's release. Dracula is coming. But I really want to see Wolfman and Frankenstein.

If we get nothing else, I will be happy and grateful for what I have already gotten outta SSC. I realize it takes money to keepo a business afloat. That's why I am all for them securing the Satr Wars and Marvel Comics's rights. Even though I will never buy any Star Wars or Marvel products from them because I have tons of that crap already.:D

I get the funny feeling that you people think a 1/4 PF Anna Valerious wouldn't be popular. :monkey5

Also, I'm not sure if I like the tone of some of these posts. I always thought Sideshow's responsibility was to make us happy not produce product that generate profit. :wacky :D

1/4 Creature would rock... no doubt, seems almost silly that it hasn't been done yet. And I submit, I have no 1/4 figures, and don't really care about them... but a 1/4 Creature could easily change that!

I would definitely buy a 1/4 Creature. Still can't believe the edition size on the pf Mummy, especially considering it has a 2 piece limit. Hope the low es on that doesn't spell doom for more pf monsters.

Last edited:
Yes, I think people forget sometimes...

While all of us here on the board, are (mostly) in it for the collecting, Sideshow are in it for the $$$$$$$, Baby!

Call it what you want, but, anyone who runs/owns a company would say the same thing...Some of us are lucky enough though, to get paid for what we love doing....The others, like most on this board, have to pay for what we love!...and, no, that doesn't mean hookers!:lol

No one brought up the Buffy/Angel line... do you, non-Buffy collectors, think that the line is dying from what you can observe? :confused:

olvidadero said:
No one brought up the Buffy/Angel line... do you, non-Buffy collectors, think that the line is dying from what you can observe? :confused:

Yes, and no.

I think that you will see SSC exclusives of 500 pieces for any further figures from the Buffy line. Same with Angel

Monk said:
Makes perfect sense to me. The company's gotta make money. They're not gonna invest in a figure if it's not gonna sell. And their responsibility to the collector (if such even exists, really) only goes so far.

Well said. :clap

olvidadero said:

Yes it is.

The fact that SS can't sell the "SS Exclusive" figures like Lorne, Giles, and Cordellia is not a good sign.

I think that you will see SSC exclusives of 500 pieces for any further figures from the Buffy line. Same with Angel

I don't think so.

SS doesn't make hardly any money on a figure with an edition size of 500. The only reason SS would ever make a figure with an edition size of 500 is due to the fact that the figure was already designed and in production. The reason the X-Files figures had an edition size of 500 is that SS couldn't sell any more. It took months for Skinner and Krychek to sell out. SS just can't cancel a figure that it's already invested time and money in. They've already paid the artist and their own people in designing the figure.

Gday Anton. I don't think Sideshow is suffering from bad habits. They are a business first and foremost, and reasons along those lines have already been stated. What I do see are trends.

Over the transition of time, when Sideshow was in it's infancy, they had to bend to the big corporates. Then they chose to break away. They set a nervous pace in the industry. They shook foundations. The Universal line was their lifes blood, to my eyes anyways. And to my eyes I see no reason the 8inch line has not been replicated in 1/6th scale, or why we have not been afforded the courtesy of an Ygor.

You mentioned the PF line of Uni monsters, but neglected the illustrious Mummy has the wonderous sarcophagus, and therfore it's price point may be reflected by the edition size.

They are still basically able to break new ground, as they have always done, even though times are becoming tougher, what with all the competition an all. That they are able to maintain a relatively low price point, for a licenced figure, is to my eyes astounding. The recent boom of highly priced Hot Toys, Medicom and the like, being able to command such huge prices. They too could be grabbing the higher profit margin of a price hike. I am confounded as to why this, as yet, hasn't occured. Time will tell.

I wont comment on the Star Trek licence as I haven't collected any. I do have four X-Files figs but don't care to comment on them either, as I am not a huge fan. The PotA figs could do with some more figs but it's unlikely. Sideshow tried something new, and I think, found that flooding didn't really work. Buffy nearly collapsed, and rebounded. It isn't sufficient to buy figures in hope that support will breathe life anymore. Buffy has a huge collector base, but timing is everything. Collectors on a whole collect more than one line. Budgets become restricted and competition ensues between lines and licences. Buffy is becoming old. Not so much to enthusiasts. Just over time. The exclusive has and is exclusive mostly to State siders, with the exception of the ones split into two. A limit for Statesiders and the rest going to various overseas distributors e.g. Jaws, Q. Ultimate Hellboy and the like.

As far as a PF Creature is concerned, the only thing I have heard is that it will see the light of day, when they decide what is right for it in terms of pose and design.

Sideshow do try new strategies, and incorporate experimentation in production, edition sizes, exclusivity, and issue of product. I don't care for some of it, because it affects me as an overseas buyer. I would dearly love a D'Hoffryn or the exclusive Terminator figures, but I cannot abide by the Stateside only exclusive because of affordability, due to shipping costs, and wont buy the regular, in the case of the Terminator figs and other such exclusives, because without the added accessories I don't want them. Yeah spewin, but I can't justify the cost. I have severley reduced my 12 inch purchases to afford the Uni PF's, and have a list of 50 1/6th figs I would dearly love to purchase, but something has to give. Sideshow has it's strategies and I have a budget. Sometimes they defeat each other or themselves in the bargain. Enuff said for now from me.

Back