Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jessica,

1. When I make my mold I cut a channel into the rubber mold to allow the resin to enter the rubber mold. You have to pick the area that best meets your needs. i.e. That channel will need to be in the best possible spot. Example: Putting it over the face would be very bad.

2. I actually build a box about 1/2" bigger than the head using Legos. Once the box is built, I pour about 1/2" of rubber into the box and let it harden. Once the rubber is hard, I then lay the head into the Lego box with the face looking to the sky. At that point, I'll pour rubber into the box so that it passes the ears, but not quite to the face. I let the rubber harden overnight.

The next day, I cut little triangles (or cones) into the rubber within each corner of the mold. Later on, this will allow me to match up both halves of the molds, ensuring correct alignment. After the little triangles (or cones) are cut into the rubber, I treat the dry rubbers surface with something called "rubber to rubber mold release". The purpose of this is to avoid the new rubber from adhering to itself. [More on this in a moment.] Next, I pour some more rubber into the Lego box and now I can no longer see the face of the head that was starring up at the sky. I let this new rubber harden overnight.

The next day the rubber has cured. I unsnap the Lego box and I’m holding a square chunk of rubber in my hands. The mold will separate because of the coating of "rubber to rubber mold release" which I sandwiched between the pouring of the 2 mold pieces.

From there it’s matter of just removing the head and then cutting slots into the molds so the resin can enter through these channels. You probably need pictures. I’ll take pictures next time I cast a head so you can see the process.

3. No

Angel, I really liked your explanation. It makes a lot of sense to me. This is where I got the info for how to make a mold, and I didn't like the part where you had to cut the head out of the mold and pluck it out.

https://www.geocities.com/brothaj311/megohowto_moldmaking01.html

Westbatman, that was a very helpful how-to as well. This is a lot of info to start with, and I like both very much better than the how-to at Mego.

Just checking in real quick to see what's going on Central City. The party is now over for me, so cleanup tonight and finding space for all the leftovers. We had flank steak, tandoori chicken, rice pilau, kale for vegetables, scratch baked cake, shanghai lumpia, some kind of lentil dish and chapati. Some of the folks couldn't make it tonight, so tomorrow we are expecting company again. Grrr....I just wanted to do some crafting. It's been 4 days straight that I have not done anything. That's kind of unusual for me and it's making me go APE!!

Last night I went to bed early (at 11 PM)...and I woke up with a start at 2AM and couldn't sleep. Too many ideas running in my head again...

Jess.

Boy was I ever wrong. I just found the old Ursus helmet and compared it to the newly made Ursus helmet. (This is a sign I'm getting old.) I actually forgot just how wrong the Sideshow helmet really was. The old Sideshow helmet looks like something Darth Vader should be wearing. :vader

The force is no longer with General Ursus!

Angel, your General Ursus hat ROCKS! It is sooooooo much frickin' better than the original one. I really hate that original hat. It is just so wrong. I also like how your hat is not very big--the size is appropriate. If you are not careful, you can actually make the hat too big but yours is just perfect. I really like the way it looks! :monkey5 Awesome!!!!

Jess.

Boy was I ever wrong. I just found the old Ursus helmet and compared it to the newly made Ursus helmet. (This is a sign I'm getting old.) I actually forgot just how wrong the Sideshow helmet really was. The old Sideshow helmet looks like something Darth Vader should be wearing. :vader

The force is no longer with General Ursus!

Nice! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Hello! Here are the two sculpts Angel wanted me to post. I also added a Lone Ranger figure dressed as a Civil War Bugler to depict the scale that we could use for a chimp teenager.:monkey1

Hi Jess! Angel really outdid himself on these sculpts. He is truly an artist and I can't thank him enough for the time that he put into these and other items displayed here. Marks the Man! :monkey3

Last edited:
Hello! Here are the two sculpts Angel wanted me to post. I also added a Lone Ranger figure dressed as a Civil War Bugler to depict the scale that we could use for a chimp teenager.:monkey1

Yes - I like the scale of this other figure as a chimp teenager. Were did that figure come from KFog?

Two more!:monkey5

I'm confused KFog. I don't like all that glossy stuff on that one gorilla. If you look at page 469 that wasn't there before I shipped it. (Sticks does your gorilla head look all glossy as well?) KFog this needs some serious fixing, I don't understand why that one head looks so glossy in parts.

Angel, I was able to pop off Zira's head last night, in preparation for making a mold. I noticed that her vinyl head is hollow. Should I plug up the hole before laying her down for the mold? And do you need to spray some kind of release onto the lego box before pouring the rubber for the mold?

Jess.

Last edited:
I'm confused KFog. I don't like all that glossy stuff on that one gorilla. If you look at page 469 that wasn't there before I shipped it. (Sticks does your gorilla head look all glossy as well?) KFog this needs some serious fixing, I don't understand why that one head looks so glossy in parts.

You're right Angel. I didn't notice that before.

Jess. :monkey1

Angel, I was able to pop off Zira's head last night, in preparation for making a mold. I noticed that her vinyl head is hollow. Should I plug up the hole before laying her down for the mold? And do you need to spray some kind of release onto the lego box before pouring the rubber for the mold?

I would certainly plug up that hole in Ziras head. I spray a release agent on the items I cast so that they stick less. I used to spray the lego box but I've learned that the rubber doen't really stick to the Legos so I recently stopped doing that.

Back