Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you back my old friend! Buy the way, the gorilla in the first pic, did you cast his head? I would like one but if I got him, I more than likely would have to have you put him on a body for me. I am still too afraid to pull their heads off. Email me on the price and stuff and lets see what we can work out. Great net buy the way. Where did you get it at?

Hi Dr. Zaius, it's so good to hear from you once again! That’s actually an Ursus head that now has hair on it. I haven't made a cast of that one. He's one of a kind at the moment.

You don't be afraid to pull their heads off. The apes’ heads come off real easy as long as you warm them up using a hair dryer. Once the "rubber" ape head heats up using a hair dryer, it becomes more pliable and flexible. Just grab the neck post in one hand and the warmed head in the other and pull. She’ll come off very easy.

The heads that I’ve made will easily slide right on the lengthy neck poll of the SS apes. I know you could handle it, just ask KFog, Jessica, PZ, Sticks or Ironman. I sold all them resin heads.

That round net was something that I made about a year ago. I drew a circle on a block of wood. I put nails along the circumference of the circle about 1/4" apart and all the way around the entire circle. I then wove the net to resemble a net that was thrown at Taylor during the 1st movie. It really took a long time to make. I do have some netting that I bought after making this one that I could send you. How big of a net are you wanting? I have plenty of netting.

Last edited:
Hi Dr. Zaius, it's so good to hear from you once again! That’s actually an Ursus head that I put hair on. I haven't made a cast of it that one. He's one of a kind at the moment.

Don't be afraid to pull their heads off! The apes’ heads come off easily as long as you warm them up using a hair dryer. Once the "rubber" ape head heats up using a hair dryer, it becomes more pliable and flexible. Just grab the neck post in one hand and the warmed head in the other and pull. She’ll come off very easy.

The heads I’ve made will slide right on the lengthy neck poll of the SS apes.

That round net was something that I made about a year ago. I drew a circle on a block of wood. I put nails along the circumference of the circle about 1/4" apart and all the way around the entire circle. I then wove the net to resemble a net that was thrown at Taylor during the 1st movie. It really took a long time to make. I do have some netting that I bought after making this one that I could send you. How big of a net are you wanting? I have plenty of netting.

Angel, to hear that you have gone through such lengths to perfect a gorilla netting--you are a mad mad genius!!! :bow

Jess.

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Angel, I just wanted to let you know that the gorilla head was probably languishing in the mailbox yesterday, but he's here in my paws now. He's absolutely gorgeous. I hope I can paint him up nicely.

You will have to show me how to make a cast or point me in the right direction because a lot of people have been asking for Zira's head and I don't know where to start. :monkey1
Jess.

Jess: I'm not sure I'd call him gorgeous, but I'm glad to hear your gorilla head finally arrived - and that you approve of him.

I'll teach you guys how to cast. It's easy, but it's time consuming and costly.
Let me know, when you you're ready to commit yourself and I'll tell you what I know. :anya2

I breath a sigh of relief with the return of my ape friend, Angel.

I missed you pal! I'm glad you didn't leave us... "behind with no regrets... but tell me though........"

Sorry I'm starting to quote Taylor's monologue again (Rolling smiles)

I love your rambling monologues JJ... excuse me, I mean Taylor monologue.

ANG - Cool! Thx. They are being shipped out to be cast today.

ANG - The wagon doors are looking great! Your gorilla with the net is really cool. Is that the gorilla head I sent you? The table for the trial scene is looking incredible! The net is incredible too. Great job on all!

ANG - If you cast the Ursus helmet put me down for one.

I'm getting warm fuzzies! Get ready for another WAVE of apes stuff! :peace

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference pix Jess: With the new helmet will come a new leather flap for the helmet. I've been using these 3 pics from Beneath in order to make his helmet better than Sideshows. [I'll also use the one you send as well as reference.] That's a great picture! Thank You! I think that Ursus picture you sent me came from Apemania website. :)

Last edited:
That Ursus helmet is progressing quite nicely, Angel. :D

And that Ursus head looks great with his mouth open....

"INVADE! INVADE! INVADE!" :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Good to see the board getting back to normal.

The progress pictures on the wagon and Ursus helmet look great!

Here are some shots of the progress I have made applying hair to my SS Ursus head. Once it's done, I'll repaint the face and I was planning on using the Hasbro helemt and adding real leather flaps.

UrsusHair.jpg

Here are some shots of an Urko head that was designed to replace the Aurora plastic model head. Also a pistol and ammo pouch. These could be altered to fit on a mego as well.

UrkoUrsusMego.jpg

UrkoGunMego.jpg

Andy

WestB-man...

I'm not digging that model head, but the work you are putting into the Sideshow hairy Ursus looks mighty good.

Can I ask you what kind of glue you are using?

Good to see the board getting back to normal.

The progress pictures on the wagon and Ursus helmet look great!

Here are some shots of the progress I have made applying hair to my SS Ursus head. Once it's done, I'll repaint the face and I was planning on using the Hasbro helemt and adding real leather flaps.

UrsusHair.jpg

Here are some shots of an Urko head that was designed to replace the Aurora plastic model head. Also a pistol and ammo pouch. These could be altered to fit on a mego as well.

UrkoUrsusMego.jpg

UrkoGunMego.jpg

Andy

That hairy Ursus is looking great. He should look very menacing once done. Is that doll wool? I want to do the same thing someday, but I wanted to use a thicker type of hair. It looks mighty difficult, though.

Angel, I got some news regarding taking a mold of the Zira head. It seems there is a great possibility that I would lose the original :monkey4, but would get a great cast that would be stronger and more resilient than the original. At this point if Zira falls on her hair (and she did that at least 5 times when I was taking photos because the wind kept knocking her down although she did not have that far to fall on cement), the work I did on it could shatter into a million pieces. Hard to believe that though since the Apoxie seems so bulletproof. :monkey4 Ugh. I have a lot to think about. Do you think I should pursue this? There is also a high possibility of losing the paint job on the original, but at this point I needed to touch her face up anyway and make her more sun-kissed. And the other plus is that I get to practice more as far as painting.

Jess.

Jess... That hair seems to be crepe hair also known as doll wool, I guess. I have worked with the stuff and it is cheap and works well with the scale.

I do prefer sculpted hair on my apes though.

Angel, I got some news regarding taking a mold of the Zira head. It seems there is a great possibility that I would lose the original.

There is also a high possibility of losing the paint job on the original…

Jess.

Tell me more Jess,

Why would you lose the original? :confused:
Why would you lose the paintjob?:confused:

Tell me more Jess,

Why would you lose the original? :confused:
Why would you lose the paintjob?:confused:

Angel, this is if I send out the head to be cast by somebody else. They said it might shatter when they take it out of the mold, and definitely the paint might get messed up and they couldn't promise me anything but a good solid cast in the end. They are probably thinking that I made the additional sculpt with Sculpey and not Apoxie.

I actually bought some material for mold making/casting, and it's enroute at the moment. Maybe it might be here by this weekend and I could try to be brave and cast her head myself. I'll see. Have you had your hair additions shatter at removal when you popped it out of the mold?

Jess.

I actually bought some material for mold making/casting, and it's enroute at the moment. Maybe it might be here by this weekend and I could try to be brave and cast her head myself. I'll see. Have you had your hair additions shatter at removal when you popped it out of the mold?

Jess.

JESS - I have had the edges of sculpts break off when I try to get the original sculpt out of the mold. Just cut the back (of the mold) when trying to release the sculpt and you'll be fine.

ANG - The Ursus helmet is coming along really well.

Back