Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tucked the pants into the boots and turned in the sleeve length on mine.

Hey, Angel are you going to leave her as is or are you going to mummify her and make her look post crash?

Just wondering...

OMG Angel..that looks so much like Stewart! Congrats!! She just needs her hair tamed down but that's about it.

Great Stewart Angel. The last time I watched POTA I was thinking it would be cool to make a custom dead corpse Stewart.

Thanks guys, I’ve had this figure for more than 2 years and she's been naked all that time because I never had astronaut clothes that even came close to fitting her. Stickman told me he had that same problem with his a few months ago.

I've got a "STEWART" nametag for her astronaut outfit and I'll put that on her only after her jacket is better sized. I know her hair is wild, but she's been packed away for several years in a plastic zip lock since I bought her on eBay. That's an easy fix.

Perhaps, once I get her clothing completed, I'll make the mummified head and hands. I'd probably make them so that I can simply switch them on this particular body.

Thanks for the comments. :angelsmil

I started this thread years ago in hopes of convincing Sideshow that there was more life left in the line than they had given it. Over time it has become one of the premier threads for POTA fans to visit, see what's new, show their customs, share their ideas, etc...
I don't know for certain but I'd like to think that what this thread has shown and accomplished at least played a small part in Hot Toys consideration of taking over the license.
As for the social group?
I have gotten 32 members. Twenty-eight others have not responded to the invitation to join as of yet.
This thread is there in the forefront everyday. Everyone knows where to find it and I'm sure that there are some watchers who do not post but visit regularly to see what we're up to.
I still hope that some Sideshow vip's will return to this thread, but that is not all that likely after the way they left. And I doubt they would even consider looking for us in the social group area.
Bottom line, we're pretty much on our own. A necessary evil if you will. Sideshow and the administration don't pay us much mind, but we persist in being here anyway

I see the point that this thread acts more like a social group than an actual thread on a specific topic. However if it were a social group, I don't think that we would get a tenth of the traffic through it. I like the random posting from forum members who are new to this thread and just pokes in for the fun of it. And recently we have been visited by members who are excited about the Hot Toys offerings and see what we have been up to for the past four years.

It's amazing to think that it's been FOUR YEARS! :horror:horror:horror

Last edited:
Wow--great to see all of your apes projects, Angel. I had a weekend to get stuff done, but I have been "out" and have not had the time. I just got home now. I need to get some paint on the heads I have promised people. It's soooo stressful to know that they are not done yet. I hate that. Anyway, I love what you have done with Stewart, and whatever figure you chose for her...she is perfect!!

Very jealous of PZ's Caesar--that's coming along so nicely!!!

Hey gang,

I wanted to share some POTA-related news in case you may have missed it. There were two costumes for auction in last week Profiles in History Hollywood Auction #37. Their initial bids were both passed on, $8,000 for the Chimp and $12,000 for the Gorilla, and hence did not sell.

Lot #714 Chimpanzee Complete Costume and Display from Planet of the Apes

(TCF, 1968) This original costume includes leather-trimmed tunic, pants, undertunic and shoes. The pants have internal Western Costume Co. stamp and label typewritten “2771-1” and handwritten “Delgado Double”. The costume is mounted on a custom-built flexible mannequin and incredibly accurate silicone head (made using appliances from the original mold), prosthetics-grade glass eyes and hand-punched human hair. The display stands approx. 5 ft. 9 in. tall. Mounted on this exceptional custom-made mannequin, the costume truly comes to life to make an impressive display piece. Link

chimp.jpg

Lot #715 Hero Gorilla Costume and Display from Planet of the Apes

(TCF, 1968) Gorilla costume and display with original leather tunic, pants, boots and gauntlets. The bandolier is original as well with replica pockets to complete the display. The entire costume is mounted on a custom-built posable mannequin with a lifelike head based on original appliances for the film, cast in acrylic resin and finished with glass eyes and coarse hair. Link

gorillaw.jpg

Kronet, thanks for posting those photos. The handpunched chimp hair is the best one I have seen for a mannequin. Something is still a little off about the chimp's face, but I can't figure out why. I wish I could see a closeup of it.

It's too bad the gorilla has a sad look overall...instead of menacing.

Last edited:
It looks great, MB! Do you have a sideview photo of the helmet? I just bought something from Westbatman, I know it's 1:1 scale, but it will give me the exact pattern of the havelock.

I lost track--is that Angel's fixed helmet?

Last edited:
Ironman, have you ever wondered what your cross-over apes and Trek would be as an online comic? I may have found someone you could hook up with...although I have not seen his work yet. I'm going to ask for samples of his artwork if it's something you would be interested in.

In a word: YES!
I have sat and wondered (and sometimes even tried it myself) what my ideas and stories would look like drawn, photostoried, or filmed.
Please let me know how his work looks. I think I might rewrite a part of it to "streamline" it but this could be fun.
I also have to get back to storyboarding Stick's and my story. AHHH! I need more time money and energy!!

My Ursus helmet is finnished.

monkeybat - I don't see a change in the helmet. What did you do to it? It looks very shiny. Hook us up with some better photos, maybe an angle shot too and tell us what you actually did. Did you use leather over it?

Hadn't seen this before. Wonder what it would be like if they landed on a "different" Earth?

Ironman - I just noticed, there seems to be chimps in the background of the picture as if they had opened the ship. Neat. Also, I received that other package you sent me. Thanks for the trade. :)

Ironman - I just noticed, there seems to be chimps in the background of the picture as if they had opened the ship. Neat. Also, I received that other package you sent me. Thanks for the trade. :)

Those were the frogmen that opened up the hatch of the spaceship that the love triangle were traveling in, in Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

Anyone have the pics of snickertowns fured customs he did. I thinking of doing something like that.

Eric

I made the helmet myself completely from scratch.
I will post more in depth photos asap.
Its an honour really thats you said it looks no different. The helmet is much bigger and completely covered in leather.

Last edited:
I made the helmet myself completely from scratch.
I will post more in depth photos asap.
Its an honour really thats you said it looks no different. The helmet is much bigger and completely covered in leather.

Fabulous, MB! I can't wait to see the photos. I thought it was Angel's helmet. How did you do the havelock? Did you cut the leather in various trumpet-shaped strips? And can you tell me what thickness of leather you used? I would also like a breakdown of the hieroglyphs!!

You're right Jessica - those are just the frogmen. I really thought those were chimps in the background.

Well, they could very well be, if it was a different earth the astronauts landed in. That would make another cool story wouldn't it?

Last edited:
A custom Air Force Medical Officers cap with emerald green band and a blue jumpsuit that needs to be altered.

Back