Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey IM!! I believe that Snick had a cast of Zira's headsculpt but she really looks more like Galen's mom than Zira. What needs to happen is the outfits need to be cobbled together with the Sideshow Zira headsculpt--just modify the hair a bit, and you would get a great Ape-o-naut Zira.

Thanks again. Yep, I got tired of waiting for a Sideshow or Hot Toys version of Ape-o-nauts and bought the resin kit from Russ at "Model Prisoners."

I asked him if he would be will to sell only the heads but he wants to save the molds for complete kits. :(

I wish someone would sell painted ape heads like Headplay is doing for humans.

Thanks again. Yep, I got tired of waiting for a Sideshow or Hot Toys version of Ape-o-nauts and bought the resin kit from Russ at "Model Prisoners."

I asked him if he would be will to sell only the heads but he wants to save the molds for complete kits. :(

I wish someone would sell painted ape heads like Headplay is doing for humans.

Those ape-o-nauts are 1/6 scale? Hasn't anyone cast up the helmet?

Sean

I wanted to see if the helmets could be vacuuformed...but just never got around to it. Does anybody think that would be a crazy idea? They vacuform 1:1 scale helmets...so why not for 1:6...Or is this just another hair-brained idea?

Yes indeed! Hot Toys Ape-o-nauts would be awesome (with alternate traditional clothing also).

Here is the 1/6 scale comparison photo I promised. It looks like apes from multiple parallel dimensions.

WOW that is just a fabulous photo!! I love it!!

I did not realize that those resin apes were 1:6 scale. Can you make a mold and slush latex to those ape-o-naut suits, I wonder? I wonder if that's what Snick had Matt do...?

Nice bunch of apes, TDP!!!

Love those Winson Ape Space jockeys with Hot Toys POTA Gorilla Heads!!!

Had a bad day at work and your picture really cheered me up. :clap :clap :clap

And on top of that, I showed Rise of the Planet of the Apes for the last time today. I'm going to miss peaking in on Caesar and the gang every so often. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Last edited:
Jungle--I re-visited your fabulous photos again. They are so wonderful and really cheer me up. If I can't get enough apes, I love looking through the photos scattered throughout this megathread.

Thanks so much.

Before I get crazy-busy at work again, I hope to tackle some other projects. I often take months to finish.

I know only a little about vacuum-forming, but I think it could be done one half at a time. Back in the 80’s, I built Garage kit starships that were vacuum-formed. If someone were to make 1/6 scale ape-o-nauts helmets “at home” I think the helmet and visor should be two separate pieces. It took me hours/days to putty/sand/prime/paint/etc – repeat - to get the helmet half parts just right. For example, it would be much easier to paint and gloss the visor separately instead of having to mask so much.

However, a larger production like Hot Toys’ i.e. Mars Attacks Martians helmets would be much better.

Vaccu-forming requires 1 thing above all else-no undercuts.So the helmets would have to be done in at least 2 pieces. An alternative would be rotational casts,if it weren't so difficult to set up a rotational caster...PS

Back