Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the third year anniversary of when the Planet of the Apes line went up for pre-order. It was in the Sideshow weekly newsletter dated 2/28/04.

Here is the POTA excerpt from that newsletter:

* PRE-ORDER PLANET OF THE APES FIGURES EARLY!
On a planet where apes talk and walk like men, and men are primitive animals, Taylor, an astronaut from Earth, is captured by gorilla soldiers when he crash lands his spacecraft. He is imprisoned and left in the care of two chimps, Cornelius and Zira. It's soon discovered that Taylor, unlike the other humans, can talk. Taylor is brought before Dr. Zaius, an orangutan, who fears the talking human could bring the downfall of the ape civilization, on the Planet of the Apes! Now you can pre-order the first 5 characters from our 'Planet of the Apes' line-up! Available are 1/4 Scale figures of Maurice Evans as Dr. Zaius and Roddy McDowall as Cornelius; a polystone reproduction of The Lawgiver; and 12" figures of Charlton Heston as Colonel George Taylor, Kim Hunter as Zira, Linda Harrison as Nova, Dr. Zaius, and Cornelius.

Planet URL: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=apes_12

I still lament to this day that Sideshow cancelled those Ape PFs. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I am considering selling my pota figures in the near future. I know they won't get
me much cash as Amoktime is selling them fairly cheap. I will let you know if I do so you can have first crack here.

Thanks a lot PZ. I remember seeing the prototype photos back then and was so happy, I couldn't wait for this line:monkey5 . It's because of the Apes line that I came to be a Sideshow freak. I sure miss this line being active. If I were to ever by a PF figure it would only be an Ape.

Well, I can't stay long, I hurt my back again and have had to lay down for a couple of days. I may have ruptured another disk. After being hurt on the job in '03 and having a fusion in '05, my back has always hurt badly. I now can't even go to school. I have 3.5 months till graduating, and all my friends are shooting their 16mm films. :monkey2 I get some tests done at the hospital next week so I'll know more then. I just had to check in. Be safe all. I'll try to check in again soon.

Dr2red - - How many ape figures do you have and how much would you want for them? Are they out of the box? I'd be interested. I got an email from amoktime and they won't be having their free shipping deal for a long while, so I wont be buying from them. :D

stickman said:
Thanks a lot PZ. I remember seeing the prototype photos back then and was so happy, I couldn't wait for this line:monkey5 . It's because of the Apes line that I came to be a Sideshow freak. I sure miss this line being active. If I were to ever by a PF figure it would only be an Ape.

Well, I can't stay long, I hurt my back again and have had to lay down for a couple of days. I may have ruptured another disk. After being hurt on the job in '03 and having a fusion in '05, my back has always hurt badly. I now can't even go to school. I have 3.5 months till graduating, and all my friends are shooting their 16mm films. :monkey2 I get some tests done at the hospital next week so I'll know more then. I just had to check in. Be safe all. I'll try to check in again soon.

Dr2red - - How many ape figures do you have and how much would you want for them? Are they out of the box? I'd be interested. I got an email from amoktime and they won't be having their free shipping deal for a long while, so I wont be buying from them. :D

They are all mint in box never taken out or displayed. I believe I have , Zira,
Cornelius, Dr Zaius, Mutant Leader, Astronaut Brent, Regular taylor, Gorilla soldier, General Ursus. Some are Exclusives but I will have to check.
Still not certain where to sell or not. I will get back to you.

Here is a quicky custom I did quite a while back of Stewart. Although not a Sideshow, it IS the only Stewart in existence. :)

2a92029e.jpg

Dr2Red, Sorry to hear your thinking of selling off the POTA's collection. Feel free to email me if you decide to part with them though :rolleyes:
Masao, Nice Stewart. Someday I've got to dig mine back out and snap a few shots.
Stickman, I'm sorry your back is still causing you such difficulty. I have had my share of on the job injuries [including my back 3 times] and know what a, pardon the pun, pain it can be. Hang in there my friend.
On a brighter note, have you all seen the wonderful offerings that Hot Toys are presenting? I just this morning saw the new Prison Break prototypes.
Maybe, being as Sideshow seems to have no interest in any none 1:6 other than $tar War$, or the general 1:6 fan, Hot Toys could be persuaded to tackle the license? Hey, it couldn't be less than what we're getting now.

Hi Ape fans. This is my first post at this and I hope it works. I hated the costumes that came with Slave Taylor and Nova and I decided to make a more screen accurate wardrobe. I figured I couldn't do a worse job of it than Sideshow did. Here is a photo.

Very nice redo on the costume! I love it. It really enhances the figure a lot. Nova looks wonderful. Is there any way to get a close-up?

Thanks Great Ape. I'd love to post a larger picture but it took all my computer savy (I don't have any) just to manage to post the one I did get up. Would you settle for a reverse angle?

I will indeed. Thank you. Can I ask you, did you use a seperate peice of leather. or did you trim a little away from the smock? Thanks again. I'm sure a lot of other ape fans will like these photos!

The original Sideshow costumes are sitting in the box, never to see the light of day. The costume is made in three pieces. The top, the underpants, and the bottom loin cloth. The loincloth was sewn to the underpants, and then thin leather straps were attached to the top and to the loincloth to approximate the look of its film counterpart. I hope I explained that so it is understandable.
Thanks again for your kind words.

jungle jom said:
Hi Ape fans. This is my first post at this and I hope it works. I hated the costumes that came with Slave Taylor and Nova and I decided to make a more screen accurate wardrobe. I figured I couldn't do a worse job of it than Sideshow did. Here is a photo.

Nice job JJ!

I wasn't impressed with the original costume either. The big problem with the female figures though, is that they aren't made to be displayed showing a lot of skin. This hurts their appearence a lot when you try.

Masao said:
Nice job JJ!

I wasn't impressed with the original costume either. The big problem with the female figures though, is that they aren't made to be displayed showing a lot of skin. This hurts their appearence a lot when you try.

Agreed. also, I like how you have Nova's hair, usually you see her and it looks too poofy. Again, great job, I wish mine could look like that. :monkey2

Great Ape... Nova's Hair... Easy fix. I just tied a brown thread(her hair color)loosely around her neck and over her hair and tighten until you get the desired look.

jungle jom said:
The original Sideshow costumes are sitting in the box, never to see the light of day. The costume is made in three pieces. The top, the underpants, and the bottom loin cloth. The loincloth was sewn to the underpants, and then thin leather straps were attached to the top and to the loincloth to approximate the look of its film counterpart. I hope I explained that so it is understandable.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Awesome Job Jungle Jom. Could I presude you to make me one for my set and I will pay you?

Speaking of the Taylor and Nova set, I saw on Sideshow they have reached the Sold Out list. Looks like the Apes are selling again!!! That only leaves 8 figures that have yet to sell out and a few of them are on second chance grabs.

IM, thanks for the kind words. I thought I would check in. I can't sleep and will be off to the hospital soon 8am PST to get a Milo-gram (not sure of spelling.)
Then it three days on my back. :monkey2

Great work there Jom. Yes, WELCOME to the Jungle. Nova looks really nice. I love customizing these figures. You did a great job on here outfit. I will have to try that when I get teh chance.

An official "Welcome to the Jungle" to you Jungle Jom!!
You did a great job on those outfits. As was stated, the female bodies look terrible when showing "skin" but you have actually found a way to accent the body and make it look quite good. Put me down on the list of those who would take a copy of Nova's clothes if you decide to make more.

Wow! What a welcome. Thanks for all the compliments.As far as making more Nova and Taylor outfits... Taylor no problem it is made to take on and off and was designed that way, it fastens with two snaps.

I never envisioned having to take Nova's outfit off (Thats the only thing she wore in two movies). The costume was made to fit very tightly; to avoid the Sideshow potato sack look. To get that look the easiest way was to sew the costume around the figure. I may try to do one that is removeabe just to see how well I can make one fit and to see how obtrusive the snaps will appear.

A little off subject here but remeber the 8" MEGO Star Trek figures from the 70's? Well their coming back. A company called Diamond Select Toys is reissuing them in exact detail. The first series will include Spock, Kirk, and Klingon. DST also said that they will be making Dr. McCoy, Andorian, and Romulan. I remember these figures with great fondness. - If they are reissuing the Star Trek line - Maybe, Just Maybe *** They will be reissuing the Planet of the Apes Figures.

The first ST line is scheduled to be released in October - I can't wait. I remember buying this figures for $1.99. I used to have nearly ever mego figure as a child. My mother used to buy them in bulk, becuase there were six of us. Oh those were the days.... well they're back, and I say Hoorha!

Back