Saturn Toys 1/6 '66 Batman and Robin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys/Tony Mei on left, Saturn with Luke X-Wing padding, Hot Toys' face plate and cape on right:

100_4726.JPG

Great shot. Considering HT needed mods and costs more, I'm happy for Saturn Dynamic Duo. Thanks for sharing all the great info.

The mid-section is the critical issue with the figure. That's all that needs fixing. You can get away with the Saturn face plates, though I prefer the shorter nosed Hot Toys. I guess you could cut the top off the nose of the Saturn plates, and they'd fit like Hot Toys'.

Hot Toys' cape is only marginally better than the Saturn. It drapes a little more freely and has less of the silver clasp showing, but I've been spoiled by Tony Mei's. The poppers on the HT cape are also a different size to those on the Saturn suit, so it doesn't connect as intended.

Since I added the extra padding the shoulder poppers are a bit out of alignment to where they should be anyway.

Last edited:
With the Mei outfit, overall, it's aesthetically pleasing to see. Just from the picture the chest emblem is slightly too high and the left shoulder has too much of a muscular (roundness) to it. That's being too stupidly anal about it, however, because it's definitely Adam West in miniature. The Saturn Bats now looks pudgy. It could be the shadows in the shot.

I’m sure it goes without saying, but if anyone gets a line on replacement capes for these, please let is all know

With the Mei outfit, overall, it's aesthetically pleasing to see. Just from the picture the chest emblem is slightly too high and the left shoulder has too much of a muscular (roundness) to it. That's being too stupidly anal about it, however, because it's definitely Adam West in miniature. The Saturn Bats now looks pudgy. It could be the shadows in the shot.

Mei over-corrected the positioning of the emblem, whereas Saturn's more in the correct place. Putting the two together does funny things to my brain, and my eyes. :lol

This is the same modified Saturn without the shadows:

455375-100-4716.JPG

Better!
Filling out the underwear has made the legs look stubby.
Thank you for taking the initial plunge. Gives the rest of us blokes' work starting points.:duff

Hot Toys/Tony Mei on left, Saturn with Luke X-Wing padding, Hot Toys' face plate and cape on right:

View attachment 646844
The cape on the Tony Mei/Hot Toys makes such a difference. Drapes so much better instead of flaring out like the stock Hot Toys or Saturn Toys.

With custom capes for both figures and your body mod for Batman it should make a great display.

Would love to pick up some HT face plates for Batman but probably hard to come by.

Huge improvement, Asta. :clap

And I even like the coloring of the Batman gray suit better on the Saturn version.

On Batman, it looks like the Saturn cowl is slightly smaller but with a longer neck portion that splays over the chest. Is that just a camera angle thing? Clearly the Saturn Batman is shorter.

Huge improvement, Asta. :clap

And I even like the coloring of the Batman gray suit better on the Saturn version.

On Batman, it looks like the Saturn cowl is slightly smaller but with a longer neck portion that splays over the chest. Is that just a camera angle thing? Clearly the Saturn Batman is shorter.

The part that splays over the chest is a separate piece, and is identical to Hot Toys'. There's an indentation around the collar that the head sculpt is meant to slot over, but even though the head's plugged in fully it doesn't completely cover the groove. It can be forced down at the front, but leaves a gap at the back.

Which means that the neck peg is too long, and needs to be taken out.

As for height, both Saturn and Hot Toys are about the same. In my photos the Saturn's standing further back on his base, but will probably be a little shorter once the head is in the correct place.

The part that splays over the chest is a separate piece, and is identical to Hot Toys'. There's an indentation around the collar that the head sculpt is meant to slot over, but even though the head's plugged in fully it doesn't completely cover the groove. It can be forced down at the front, but leaves a gap at the back.

Which means that the neck peg is too long, and needs to be taken out.

As for height, both Saturn and Hot Toys are about the same. In my photos the Saturn's standing further back on his base, but will probably be a little shorter once the head is in the correct place.
Would you feel comfortable posing Bats in a more action pose (i.e. does the fabric costumer appear like it would hold up)?

Would you feel comfortable posing Bats in a more action pose (i.e. does the fabric costumer appear like it would hold up)?

The fabric feels as tough as nails, but it's restrictive. When I first got him out of the box and was holding him, his legs were springing back after moving them because of the tension in the suit.

On Wor-Gar's point, I swapped the neck peg for a shorter one and got the sculpt and cowl collar to properly connect:

100_4732.JPG

The fabric feels as tough as nails, but it's restrictive. When I first got him out of the box and was holding him, his legs were springing back after moving them because of the tension in the suit.

On Wor-Gar's point, I swapped the neck peg for a shorter one and got the sculpt and cowl collar to properly connect:

View attachment 646859
Is that the HT faceplate?

Never really got a good look at the Saturn face plate. Can you put it back on just for comparison sake?

The Saturn plates are easy to put on, but difficult to remove. I had to pry them out with tweezers, so I don't want to put them back in again.

Paintwork is very close to Hot Toys. They'd be easy to mix up it weren't for the longer noses.

OK. The fact you're not using them tells me all I need to know.

I suppose the "long face" in some pictures is the result of the extended nose added to the face plate.

The Saturn plates are easy to put on, but difficult to remove. I had to pry them out with tweezers, so I don't want to put them back in again.

Paintwork is very close to Hot Toys. They'd be easy to mix up it weren't for the longer noses.
Thank you for all the insight and pictures.
Is the problem with the Saturn face plates just that they are taller (more nose and cheeks)? Is it simply a matter of slicing a millimeter or 2 off off the top? How much of the upper edge of the face plate is hidden under the cowl once it’s inserted? I guess I’m just wondering if the cowl will hide the rough edge of the faceplate if I do slice some off.

OK. The fact you're not using them tells me all I need to know.

I suppose the "long face" in some pictures is the result of the extended nose added to the face plate.

It was hard to work out at first what was going with the plates. When placed back to back both are exactly the same width, which would be unusual for a recast.

The only difference is the extra nose length, which means that the face sits lower in the cowl, which would explain the "long face" photos.

455336-100-4675.JPG

I only took a couple of photos with the Saturn plates in:

455335-Saturn-Batman-2.jpg

The weird thing is that the HT plate doesn't appear to take up noticeably less space in the Saturn cowl:

455337-100-4678.JPG

It looks as natural in there as it does in the HT cowl. :unsure:

Back