Samsung LCD TV help/opinions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny88

Super Freak
Reaction score
I bought a 40inch Samsung LCD from Costco, model number LN40D551, it's the same as the 550 (last digit is changed at Costco). Anyway the only problem l have with it is while watching Movies and Games there is a flickering or juddering type of thing going on, more of a flicker, ONLY in certain places.

Watching movies some objects flicker. Example Watching LOTR (dvd) armour around the edges flicker or chainmail will flicker when the camera pans up or down. Sleepy Hollow example (dvd) when the camera moves up or down ot left to right tree branches and leaves on the ground flicker, or gold patterns on clothes flicker. Every movie does this to a degree and l find it distracting.

Video Games example. Fallout 3 fences, trees really flicker and flash when l walk past them. Another strange thing is when l move the camera everything becomes slightly darker ONLY when the camera is moving, example looking at a brick wall, then slowly move the camera the wall becomes darker while the camera is moving, then when l stop the wall turns lighter again or looking at the ground then moving the ground becomes darker until l stop moving, then the ground becomes lighter again. This happens in every game l have tried. The cut scenes in gears of war also have lots of flickering around the highlights of their armour. This is all distracting and wondering if this happens for other Samsung LCD owners. I never hd these problems with my last tv (35inch flat screen tube tv.

Some opinions would be great (maybe this is normal or l should l find a diiferent modle/brand).

I would check out all of your tv settings. Things like dynamic contrast can effect the picture. Also make sure you do not have any other electronics near your tv that may cause interference. You would probably have better luck at the AVS forums.

EDIT: I did a few minutes trying to research your problem, you might look into "CE Dimming". It seems you need to access your service menu to change it though.

Last edited:
I have gone threw the setting many times and l have them to where they look good. in the picture menu there is "Digital Noise Filter" (Reduce picture noise to avoid distracting lines and flickering) That is whats happeinign that's bothering me. I have played around it that setting off, low, medium, high, auto, but l never see a difference. There is another setting "MPEG Noise filter" (Improve video quality by reducing MPEG noise in picure not sure what that even means, but ) l have played around with that too, but haven't noticed a difference.

The flickering is in the same location on the screen or does it vary?

The flickering is in the same location on the screen or does it vary?

Its not the screen (as in the same spot) it's just objets in movies and games. fences, railings, edges of clothing stuff like that that flickers.

I know in games there is always flickering of some kind. I hooked my 360 up to my brothers 32 inch LCD and his flicked a little too, bushes and trees just not as bad, maybe because mine is bigger and more noticeable, but his never had the color change when the camera is moved in games like mine does.

Exorcist.gif

Although you did not buy it at Best buy... go to best buy and ask that question at the "geek squad" counter at the front of the store.. they are most helpful, and should be able to answer your question. Hopefully you live near a best buy...:) I always have great luck when asking tech questions there!

Although you did not buy it at Best buy... go to best buy and ask that question at the "geek squad" counter at the front of the store.. they are most helpful, and should be able to answer your question. Hopefully you live near a best buy...:) I always have great luck when asking tech questions there!

Yeah l do have one 10 minutes away. I think that will be something to do.

Watching movies some objects flicker. Example Watching LOTR (dvd) armour around the edges flicker or chainmail will flicker when the camera pans up or down. Sleepy Hollow example (dvd) when the camera moves up or down ot left to right tree branches and leaves on the ground flicker, or gold patterns on clothes flicker. Every movie does this to a degree and l find it distracting.

Perhaps it's the TV doing edge enhancement which might not be the best thing on a 60hz screen. Do you have the sharpness cranked up? Turn sharpness all the way down and see what happens.

Back