S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping Tamashii will develop Saiyan Saga Goku(s) at some point. I'm sure they'll undoubtedly sell well.

BbCfZv4.png

3149761-4889252800-Son%2BG.png

It undoubtedly will! I would buy both of those from the Saiyan saga. That second image seems to be the most iconic for the character, and I would hope we'd get that as an extra head, since it can be used for flight poses, riding on Kinto-un, Kaio-ken, and dodging poses.

If it's possible to get a separate Dragon Ball line, I'd rather them use those resources to pump out more DBZ figures! If they made Boo Saga Vegeta, Long Haired Trunks, Saiyan saga Goku, and Imperfect Cell first, then I'd be down for the original Dragon Ball series. They might not make that Cell, but I'm prioritizing getting those first 3.

Getting interchangeable faces for Launch would be pretty nifty!

Kid goku, teen goku, bulma, roshi, yamcha, tien, tao pai pai, king piccolo, krillin, Tien, maybe the pilaf gang. i believe this is all the representation the original DB needs, they could even double dip with goku blue and red outfit, krillin red and yellow and some variant for bulma

That's pretty much the perfect line up.

So big question here, I think that if they do a Saiyan Saga Goku, he will NOT be in Toriyama's art style from that era. You might see the more muscular, "stream-line" Goku as opposed to the rounded, baby-fat one as I like to call him. Considering Scouter Vegeta is NOT in classic Saiyan Saga art style from that era.

Found this interesting comparison, a scene from the Namek saga:

Left is the "Modern" DBZ-style, basically what a lot consider Toriyama's "Final" Style...seen here in anime form from what I believe is a scene from one of the video games.

Middle is of course, the original anime...matching the actual Manga style to the Right, which is Toriyama's artwork from that scene.

View attachment 130805

I was thinking the same thing but S.H. Figuarts will always go with the modern Dragon Ball Z style. I feel the original art style would be too difficult to sculpt and fit in with the others. Which is understandable to me.

I don't know how much different a sculpt will be for Goku if they decide to make portrayals from the Saiyan and Namek Saga. Hell, I hope we actually get other versions of a character other than just an "upgrade" to Super Saiyan.

Edited: Thinking about the Modern to Original art, I'm honestly glad they never had that for Saiyan Saga Vegeta. Tamashii will never make an Android/Cell Saga Vegeta with the normal head and the only way you can actually display that is if you take the head from Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

still enjoying my figuarts son goku, good times!

can anyone pls me ont he right direction? interested in a good articulated kid goku. wayyy back i remember one by a american company maybe? been forever since i was this into dragonball. any advice would be much appreciated.

Does it matter which size the Kid Goku is? There's a Banpresto Kid Goku. It's not really articulated that well other than a few poses and is about 9".

I agree, but if it was his most recognizable look amongst consumers, then Tamashii would've catered to that look instead of the version we got, don't ya think? It's like if they released Goku's "Buu Saga Epilogue" outfit only because it was Goku's "final look," despite his orange Gi being his most iconic. But in all honesty they could bank off of all 3 looks, since each represents Goku at different points in his life.

I think Tamashii went with the same attire he has as a Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 3. This way they give their customers the ability to show Goku powering up. If it was in the most recognizable look, Saiyan/Namek Saga what have you, and then change from figure-to-figure, it would look out of place. They could easily bank off all the looks but we just have to wait and see. There's been no duplicates of a character other than transformations.

I was thinking the same thing but S.H. Figuarts will always go with the modern Dragon Ball Z style. I feel the original art style would be too difficult to sculpt and fit in with the others. Which is understandable to me.

I don't know how much different a sculpt will be for Goku if they decide to make portrayals from the Saiyan and Namek Saga. Hell, I hope we actually get other versions of a character other than just an "upgrade" to Super Saiyan.

Edited: Thinking about the Modern to Original art, I'm honestly glad they never had that for Saiyan Saga Vegeta. Tamashii will never make an Android/Cell Saga Vegeta with the normal head and the only way you can actually display that is if you take the head from Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

They might eventually make a Android/Cell Saga Vegeta again, but it'll probably be down the road...but you are right, it helps to keep a similar "style" throughout the figures so that the parts are interchangeable for the same characters. We can best hold up for a Re-release...

Personally...I'd like to see a Battle-Damage Goku before we get Saiyan/Namek saga Goku...

I think Tamashii went with the same attire he has as a Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 3. This way they give their customers the ability to show Goku powering up. If it was in the most recognizable look, Saiyan/Namek Saga what have you, and then change from figure-to-figure, it would look out of place. They could easily bank off all the looks but we just have to wait and see. There's been no duplicates of a character other than transformations.

Also...they used the same body for multiple figures. Wise business move and probably saved them LOTS of money. ;) But it makes sense....

They might go for modern style in the SHF line, but they sure aren't doing so in the Zero line, even though they consistently mismatch the boot colours on Goku.

I think what Tamashii would do is a balance between two things + an arbiter: domestic demand and export demand + the liscencer's approval. If there's enough demand for a certain character or design and their research shows it, they're making it, if the licenser allows it.

The only two reasons I can see for something like an OG Goku not happening is demand or a licenser block. Well, the licenser clearly didn't block it with the Zero line so why would they with the SHF line?

That leaves demand. An OG Goku? I'm pretty sure demand is through the roof. Last checkpoint is getting Tamashii to see it.

Well, that's up to us really (i.e. the consumer). I think this is pretty definitely my definitive top 5 for a while. Especially if Vegito is the second release of 2015.

1. Tall Trunks
2. Tien
3. OG DBZ Goku (fully clothed, not the bear feet raditz fight one)
4. Majin Vegeta and/or ssj vegeta release
5. Nappa

They might go for modern style in the SHF line, but they sure aren't doing so in the Zero line, even though they consistently mismatch the boot colours on Goku.

I think what Tamashii would do is a balance between two things + an arbiter: domestic demand and export demand + the liscencer's approval. If there's enough demand for a certain character or design and their research shows it, they're making it, if the licenser allows it.

The only two reasons I can see for something like an OG Goku not happening is demand or a licenser block. Well, the licenser clearly didn't block it with the Zero line so why would they with the SHF line?

That leaves demand. An OG Goku? I'm pretty sure demand is through the roof. Last checkpoint is getting Tamashii to see it.

Well, that's up to us really (i.e. the consumer)

I'm actually okay with the Goku we got considering so far they've been catering to the Android Saga so he fits with the rest of the Z Fighters. That said if they made a Saiyan Saga younger Goku, I'd buy that if they at least retooled the upper body. Although I have a feeling they'll probably just change the belt, give him new faces, and he logos and lazily call it a day since Saiyans tend to sell no matter what.

In America, a lot of toy-lines will consistently release newer versions (or re-releases) of the "popular" characters to help balance out cost and profits. Hence why with toy "waves" as they call them (the periodic release of a group of figures to stores) you commonly see many popular characters and then the few uncommon or less popular ones. Also, the case count will be more in favor of the popular characters than the less ones. This is why with lines like G.I. Joe, TMNT, Transformers, etc. it's always easier to find Duke, Snake-Eyes, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, etc. than it is the less popular (or less known) figures.

Tamashii is a little different because they seem to release 1-2 figures quarterly (with a possible re-release as well) and not a whole "wave" of figures. So their selection process is a lot more strategic and detailed because they are basically "putting all their eggs in one basket" when it comes to quarterly profits for the DBZ Figuarts line. If you had year of releasing JUST Nappa, Tien, Yamcha, Chaotzu and a Saibaman, that might be great for the fans, but popularity-wise and sales-wise, I think it'd overall be VERY weak. Hence why they're very critical of the characters they are going to make.

Bandai is smart and has been doing this for years. Putting a Krillin head with Android 18 was genius because that was incentive for people to buy Krillin as well who has been a "shelf-warmer" since his initial release. Honestly, if they release another less known or unpopular character, they might actually curtail that release with the re-release of an ultra popular character (Gohan, Trunks, etc.) or add another accessory that might make the fence-sitters think about making that purchase.

As much as the fans want this and want that, at the end of the day, it's a business. Toy companies overall have become more fan-friendly in recent years and Bandai is no exception, but at the end of the day, it's about profits.

For those unaware, there were multiple Dragon Ball Figuarts polls made at the Dragon Ball toy forums.

Here's the top 5, which is the most important one. I'm the one lone Saiyan Saga Goku vote, but I think I should switch it to the battle damaged one, since no one's voting for it. I really want that version anyway, so it's not a big deal!

https://dragonballfigures.boards.net/thread/1251/which-characters-figuarts-make-next

They might eventually make a Android/Cell Saga Vegeta again, but it'll probably be down the road...but you are right, it helps to keep a similar "style" throughout the figures so that the parts are interchangeable for the same characters. We can best hold up for a Re-release...

Personally...I'd like to see a Battle-Damage Goku before we get Saiyan/Namek saga Goku...

Also...they used the same body for multiple figures. Wise business move and probably saved them LOTS of money. ;) But it makes sense....

I honestly wouldn't see the problem if they released a non-Super Saiyan Android/Cell Saga Vegeta. It would be different and make the Super Saiyan Vegeta still "important" to collectors because it includes the Super Saiyan head. Similar to releasing a non-Super Saiyan Cell Saga Gohan.

Battle-damage Goku would be awesome, which Saga would you want?

Very wise. I don't mind that at all, to be honest. Like you said, it's a business and they need profits.

Glad to see Bardock on that poll, I would love to have him and even a King Vegeta at some point. I think that would be awesome to have. It'd be different and you can create stories on what would happen if Planet Vegeta was never destroyed by Frieza.

Thanks Angelo. When I was a big-time G.I. Joe collector and attended some of the conventions, I got a chance to speak with a lot of Hasbro representatives and employees and you learn that while the employees are fans too, they can't make everything they want. They listen to A LOT of feedback, but the decisions come down to profits and finding that gray area between making what fans want and what their general target audience (usually kids) wants. I learned a lot from my chats with them. The Japanese/Oriental market has more lines aimed towards the adult collecting market because it's more prevalent and respected there, but in the last few years, the U.S. has opened up too.

To me, there are two definitive battle-damage Goku looks, both from the Frieza saga:

Regular Goku during the "Spirit Bomb" technique against Frieza

25376_1280x960_Spirit_Bomb_Frieza_Saga_.jpg

GokuChargingGenkiDama..png

They are making this pose in the SH Figuarts Zero line which looks great. I wouldn't mind if they even made this version with belt wrap as opposed to the hanging obi he had during the Saiyan saga. As long as he's got some battle damage with the torn blue shirt, I think it'd be awesome.

Then my other favorite is the "Final Battle" SSJ Goku from the last moments of his fight with Frieza:

GokuSuperSaiyanDuelOnVanishi.png

He even had a similar look when he fought Cooler
GokuSuperSaiyanVsCooler.png

Back