Rook's Collectibles Photo Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McQuarrie Boba Fett. I had to.

37768915481_a31ad3b348_k.jpg
[/url]

And Rogue's other head.

36883117283_9c426efa76_k.jpg
[/url]

Working with my new Phasma figure this week. Not as difficult to work with as I remember from the How To Be A Poser video at Sideshow. The tough part was trying to light her in a way that would't reflect my cluttered studio in her armor.

24385843168_139de77e8e_k.jpg

Hey Terry, do you have any suggestions for making poses look better from multiple angles? Especially with figures with a lot of cloth/etc.

For instance, with HT Kylo Ren - I have him in a pose I'm pretty happy with where he looks great from the front, and pretty good from the left side, but puffy/awkward from the right.

There's a few others like that for me. For instance, lots of the troopers when holding a gun look good from the front, then horrible from an angle. Stuff like that.
And then if I change up the pose a little bit to try to make it look better from the other angle, it looks bad from the one it looked good from lol

Is that just how it goes? Because looking at your pics or some other users here, it looks like you can do a 360 and the figures look awesome from all angles

Hey Terry, do you have any suggestions for making poses look better from multiple angles?

You're just described the dilemma of every artist in the design department at Sideshow (and, naturally, every other collectibles company out there).

I can't speak for them, but for me, it's a trial and error sort of thing. And inevitably, just as with premium formats, the figure will always look best when viewed from a particular angle. But you can minimize it by having an understanding of how people move naturally. I spend a fair amount of time thinking about that sort of thing in the back of. my mind while I'm working a pose. And when I think the pose is finished, I'll tweak it a bit here and there. Sometimes I'm still tweaking a pose months after I've put the figure on a shelf. I just consider it the nature of the hobby.

I'm sure that's not much help. I think that whatever success I have with it stems from having studied such things as comic book art and movie stills. So, in a way, I'm capitalizing on the hard work of others, I guess.

Oh, yeah. I'm also not above posing in the mirror. You can learn a lot that way. (Good luck getting that visual out of your head...)

Thanks for the advice man! Yeah, no worries... I stand in front of my shelf and kind of pose my arms at least to see how turned in my biceps/forearms should be if my hand is in a certain area... lol

Man, showed my girlfriend a few of the "How To Be A Poser" videos and now she's watching them all because she finds it so cool! We've been watching some of your Toys Will Be Toys channel together too. Thank you for making my girlfriend more interested in my hobby haha

On a side note, that video for Maul definitely makes me want to pick him up! Wondering if HT will do one though.

Hey, everyone. A few updates. Sorry that I haven't been keeping up.

And again, anyone who actually digs this can follow me at the Toys Will Be Toys YouTube Channel and Facebook page. :wave

40552961622_ca497a339d_k.jpg

38765887950_2ab9ac98b4_k.jpg

38765889810_683a609987_k.jpg

40378227022_a1df3c7cf9_k.jpg

26514111838_a391d0af10_k.jpg

38531590510_4ec18b8043_k.jpg

40320403371_af91449def_k.jpg

25411936127_71c557880a_k.jpg

40232807432_87d8103838_k.jpg

Back