Rocky 12" & 20" sculptures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitchin

Red Five
Reaction score
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=2353

rocky.jpg

Last edited:
HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have wanted this piece for a LONG time!

20 inch version will be mine!!!

If it is a faux bronze, it shouldn't be too bad; that looks stunning. :monkey5

I make have to pick this one up. Depeneding on price, but if theres a 12" and 20" I'm sure one will be in my price range!!! Very cool piece!

cool piece indeed, hope the 20" is affordable. :monkey3

I don't know... from the picture, that looks like real bronze to me and we all know Sideshow likes their bronze pieces!!! :D

P1 found out more information for us!

12 inch sculpture will be cast in resin and hand painted. $98 usd

20 inch sculpture will be cast in resin, bronze plated & hand painted. $468 usd

limited edition of the 20 inch sculpture will be cast in traditional bronze and mounted on a marble base. each sculpture will be individually numbered. $2600 usd"

$500 one for me!

Gruson said:
P1 found out more information for us!

20 inch sculpture will be cast in resin, bronze plated & hand painted. $468 usd

limited edition of the 20 inch sculpture will be cast in traditional bronze and mounted on a marble base. each sculpture will be individually numbered. $2600 usd"

$500 one for me!

$100 seems far for the 12". I think I will pick it up.

Gruson said:

Sold!

I was holding out hope that the 12" would be in my range, but $98 is a hell of a deal imo.

That's a big difference between the 12" and 20". It those were the prices then I'd surely get the 12"... $500 is too much for me. Now if they lowered it... :lol

I'm getting the 12" for my dad. He's a huge Rocky fan. It's nice that Sideshow now has collectibles that cater to the tastes of my entire family. I buy the 12" John Wayne figures for my mom.

:lecture

A bronze statue is made by pouring molten bronze into a mold made of powdered ceramic and water, which is like concrete but very sensitive to detail -- it will capture a fingerprint or brush stroke. That ceramic mold was made by packing the ceramic/water mix around a wax cast of the statue, which was in turn made from a silicone mold taken from an original sculpture in clay, epoxy, or sculpey. The original typically does not survive the molding process. It crumbles when it's removed from the silicone.

When the ceramic mold is heated, the wax melts and is poured out (hence "lost wax method"). After the bronze is poured and cooled, the ceramic mold is removed using a hammer. Not delicate.

I have no idea how they plate resin, which has a much lower melting temperature, with bronze. How do you get bronze to spray through an electroplate sprayer?

capture.jpg

But to get to the point: there's likely to be a visible difference between the plated resin version and the all-bronze one. Resins are made from the first mold -- the silicone mold (the liquid resin isn't hot enough to burn the silicone). Bronze foundries often make resin copies for items that will remain in production long enough to wear out the initial silicone mold. A resin pouring won't shrink, so it retains the dimensions of the clay original and can be used to make a replacement mold. A bronze cast will shrink when it cools, and have a more slender appearance than the wax or the original that preceded it. Sculptors who work in bronze plan for this shrinkage when they sculpt the original maquette. Unless the Rocky sculptor made two different 20" maquettes, that plating will be applied to a resin figure that's bulkier than the bronze versions priced at $2600.

If you're ordering the plated version, you might want to ask Sideshow whether the plated or all-bronze version is in their website photograph, and whether there's an appreciable difference in appearance between the two. A side-by-side comparison is actually in order, given the different qualities in the materials.

I wonder whether plating helps protect from breakage. If not, I'm not sure I see the point. Except that if you want the 20" version, that's the more affordable version, and that's the way they're doing it. Probably looks nicer than paint.

Last edited:
Back