Review of the Brad Pitt Detective Mills from Se7en

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond F.

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this figure over the weekend but was surprised to find not much written up about it though I know its not exactly new news. I saw pictures of various incarnations of this Brad Pitt from Se7en and I always thought it was a cool underground figure, something I’d buy but probably could live without if I never got an opportunity to own it. In fact I would never buy it at the 300-dollar plus prices it was going for on EBay. I didt get it for the meager 130 ABC Express was asking for at the beginning o the month it but certainly not anywhere near close to the 330 asking price currently on EBay. I managed to score it at my favorite store for these great sorts of finds, Toytokyo.

I also know there are a few other versions of this figure. One, of these is a Dr. Figures knock off. But I also saw one that came with a coat a little more accurate to the film and a box that says “mills on it”.

Does anyone know what the story with this figure is? Who makes it (all I heard was that a company named Century makes it), which is the original one? Did they just re-release the figure? I’ve heard that there are only 100 of these out there.

Onto the figure, it came on some sort of Buck like body. The only noticeable thing that ruined the overall look was the hands but of course, when I re-fitted the clothes to a Hot Toys truetype, as per usual it just looked so much more realistic and natural! The clothes are absolutely awesome, in fact it makes me wonder if “Century” has anything to do with “Century Hobby” who supplied Toys2 with their awesome suits everyone used for Bruce Wayne bashes because the tailoring is just as amazing as those suits. The leather blazer is so realistic as it the pants and the shirt fits great.

The overall outfit is pretty accurate to the film but the leather jacket and bulletproof vest differ ever so slightly the jacket is a lot more fashion than the one in the film but it looks great on this figure, The badge on the belt and gauze hand is such a nice touch. I was nervous to re-wrap the gauze hand to a Truetype hand but it turned out fine.
Other accessories besides the two heads include a gun, holster bulletproof vest several hands (which I replaces of course) and a flashlight. The badge says Los Angles Police Department on it which is interesting because there was no reveal of where the story took place but I’d buy that it’s LA.

The likeness to Pitt is great and the head looks almost Hot Toys in caliber but not quite, a lot better than your average sideshow. To my disappointment t is a hollow vinyl but you can never tell because it is so well made and painted. Both heads are great and the damaged one has real bits of bandage on it! The heads didn’t fit naturally on a truetype peg so I had to chip and sand one down quite a bit to make it fit but still snug to the head.

I’m not sure when this figure was made but its very close to today’s standards (which surprises me because hear it’s a few years old)

Overall as much as I think the figure is great, it just feels sort of random for my collection. Even owning a simple John Doe as the sole character from Se7en feels a little more complete than just Detective Mills but I’m glad I own it. Aside from hoping one day the company will make Spacey and Freeman or maybe someone will make great heads for kitbahes I think I’d like to make or buy something for this figure to make it feel a little more akin to the film.

What do you think? Maybe some sort of base? Floorboards with a bucket and blood on it? Grass with a cardboard box and blond hair strands seeping out a little? Some file folders. A backdrop with “Sloth” written on it? Any ideas?

16se7en.jpg

16se7en1.jpg

Looks really good... I've always wanted a Mills figure, but was put off by the ridiculous price. Maybe now's a good time to jump on one.

I almost bought this one. I already own the Dr Figures knockoff, but this newer version looks much better. But like you siad, it does not really fit with my collection.

It does look better than the production pics, but it's only slightly better than the City Hero one, which is waaay cheaper. You don't get the vest and the coat is the wrong style, but it is a cheaper alternative. $130 for this one is well under way it used to be.

I own the Hot Toys one and for what it's worth, the one you picked up comes a very close second. I paid a mere $115 shipped for mine back in 2003 from of all places Kid Robot NYC. I guess I got lucky. I did upgrade it with some of the more accurate shoes available on the market, a more accurate Hot Toys Beretta and Hot Toys relaxed hands. Other than that it is all the same as when I picked it up.

According to what I was told about the elusive Mills figure (from ActionFigure2000), Hot Toys released the original in a quantity of only 100. The box which states "Mills" along the front in the Se7en font and style looks cool. Along the back of the box is some Asian writing (not sure if Japanese or Chinese).

watermark.php

Maybe someone can translate?

Regarding suggestions for what to use to create a more akin to the film, since his expression is relaxed I plan on creating a desk where he can have some of the objects found at the crime scenes, especially photos. Lots of photos! Have fun with it!

I own the Hot Toys one and for what it's worth, the one you picked up comes a very close second. I paid a mere $115 shipped for mine back in 2003 from of all places Kid Robot NYC. I guess I got lucky. I did upgrade it with some of the more accurate shoes available on the market, a more accurate Hot Toys Beretta and Hot Toys relaxed hands. Other than that it is all the same as when I picked it up.

According to what I was told about the elusive Mills figure (from ActionFigure2000), Hot Toys released the original in a quantity of only 100. The box which states "Mills" along the front in the Se7en font and style looks cool. Along the back of the box is some Asian writing (not sure if Japanese or Chinese).

watermark.php

Maybe someone can translate?

Regarding suggestions for what to use to create a more akin to the film, since his expression is relaxed I plan on creating a desk where he can have some of the objects found at the crime scenes, especially photos. Lots of photos! Have fun with it!

Pics of the figure? and I didn't know that Hot Toys made the original

Oooh so it was Hot TOys that released the original, unlicenced I bet, when they were a budding company.

Any pics would be awesome. I'd love to see it and how it differs from this one. ESPECIALLY the Les Walker repaint.

I think I saw a small picture of it. If I recall his coat is more accurate to the film than this one no?

BTW The desk is a great idea! are you going to build it or buy it from somewhere?

I own the original Hot Toys version as well. You can find a photo of it on Eric So's website. He was the artist on the figure...

www.ericsoart.com

Click on Bruce Lee's face at the bottom of the page, and then click on the Mill's figure.

Just checked out the HT Mills. It looks like the head is for sure a re-cast but I much prefer this new one's head as do I the tailoring of the pants, though it looks to be that Hot Toys has a more film accurate vest and coat.

I'm glad I have this as I can see it being hard to obtain in the future and its a really great item.

I also know there are a few other versions of this figure. One, of these is a Dr. Figures knock off. But I also saw one that came with a coat a little more accurate to the film and a box that says “mills on it”.

Does anyone know what the story with this figure is? Who makes it (all I heard was that a company named Century makes it), which is the original one? Did they just re-release the figure? I’ve heard that there are only 100 of these out there.

Thanks for the pix and review. Decent amount of accessories, especially with the gauze on the hand. The figure could very well be produced by Century Hobby in Hong Kong as you've deduced, as I saw the exact headsculpt in their shop when I last visited HK in January.

The original figure by then-fledging Hot Toys didn't even come with that many accessories. Pix via bigredmoon.com
seven1.jpg

seven2.jpg

The Dr Figure version can be ordered here but you'll have to change the body, vest and get a leather jacket to get it to look ok.

Maybe some sort of base? Floorboards with a bucket and blood on it? Grass with a cardboard box and blond hair strands seeping out a little?
That idea for a base was what I ws thinking but wasn't it in a desert though, not grass? I think it's better to keep the head well hidden too like in the movie...maybe have some blood around the lid but that's all.

Thanks Shaun for posting that.
Hmm, I wonder if it is a re-cast or not I can't tell, though I DO know that I like the new one alot more.

If you saw the head at CenturyHobby im sure they have at least something to do with this new release.

I totally agree about not showing much around the box, it adds to the mystery. I think it was in a big feild not a desert no? I do know there was grass covering the ground and small dry shrubbs.

At this point I'd love a Johm Doe, but it his head is not as good as this Brad's theres no point. Too bad HT didin't do a Lez Luthor it would have been just perfect!

I bought two Mills' heads off Numo on eBay a while back. One from the beginning of the movie and one with the bandages. I have one head on a HT TT body (from the beginning of the film in pristine condition) And I am in the process of making a figure from the end of the movie with the bandages and the bullet proof vest. I am a big fan of the movie, too. I remember taking my wife to see it in the theatre when we were just dating. She screamed and wanted to leave when the Sloth victim gasped. It was so funny. I think she knew she was in trouble then and I have only gotten worse. LOL

What is the body by the way? I thought it was a Buck but it has BBI hand connectors.

Mine is displayed on a trusty true-type. I had to dremel down the neck stub a lot to get it to fit on there and dremeled down the shoulder's as well.

The neck is hard to get off of the original body too but switches out nicely with my new neck adapter mod.

Congrats on ownin the figure by the way!

Back