Review: Capturing Archetypes: Twenty Years of Sideshow Collectibles Art

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDoggWhite

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Capturing Archetypes: Twenty Years of Sideshow Collectibles Art" is exactly what I anticipated it would be based on the product summary and accompanying product pictures: a photographic homage to some of Sideshow's works of art. It beautifully showcases some, but not all, of their best works of all formats.

Some have complained about "wasted space" within the book, but it's an obvious artistic decision to showcase only one photo per turn of the page. In this case less is more and your eyes are drawn to the intended target...you won't inadvertently overlook anything. This approach should be commended as the book is treated just as their sculpts; an artistic product.

With that said, this book is not an encyclopedia of Sideshow's catalog the past 20 years. It is a sampling of some of their best (Personally, I was disappointed to find the Spiderman and Venom comiquettes omitted). Outside of the photograph on each spread, you will find minimal text. Occasionally, a quote appears that relates to the character portrayed. Again, less is more. However, each piece is indeed credited in the back of the book with character name, the format, license as well as the year produced (curiously, I believe all pieces are from the last decade), but the sculptors are not.

I found this to be well worth the purchase. Given the amount of coin we spend on the sculpts themselves, the MSRP of $50 is a drop in the bucket (Sideshow recently discounted their price to $35 to match Amazon). For those of us who wish we could own a plethora of Sideshow works, this is a much more cost effective and space-saving way to bring a part of them into your home.

Those who order this will enjoy the comedic genius of the spread-out centerfold. Tastefully done and good for a laugh knowing that Sideshow takes their craft seriously, but they do not take themselves too seriously by recognizing an opportunity for humor.

"Capturing Archetypes" is an excellent centerpiece for your coffee table. The perfect way to tactfully introduce your friends to your treasure trove of fandom and inner-geek that lay within your fortress of solitude.

Back