Retro Style Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they are FAN EFFING TASTIC! I am more excited about these and the Alien retro figs than ANYTHING else coming out.

Ironman, having high-end 1:6 SMDM figures would be neat, but not too many out there would pony up the expense to buy them and they are only going to appeal to a very small niche and frankly my interest in 1:6 is declining because they are getting ridiculously overpriced. To me, there is something just far more appealing on the nostalgia factor now for collecting retro and vintage "toys" from my childhood than the stuff that passes for "high-end" nowadays. For the cost of most 1:6 figures now you can buy some really nice vintage toys MIB. Even a vintage SMDM MIB can be had for less than a new 1:6 figure from Hot Toys.
I don't recall ever saying "high end". I said 1:6.
G.I. Joe and,more recently, Captain Action have done nicely in 1:6 without breaking the bank. And, again, being as those "nice vintage toys" don't fit in with true 1:6 collections, being able to find them at similar cost, MIB or not, is irrelevant.

You are obviously 1:6 biased. :lol These are "Toys" and as such I think they fulfill their purpose to satisfy nostalgia for which they are obviously intended for. When some company makes 1:6 SMDM figures you can buy all of them you want. Until then, these action figures and the Mego-like 8" figures are out there for others to enjoy. If you don't want them don't buy them. Just because they aren't your cup-of-tea doesn't mean that others can't have fun and enjoy them for what they are.

Yes, 1:6 comprises the majority of my collection. I also have Megos in 8" and 3.75". I even have Zica's Buck Rogers set.
I don't recall saying, please point out where I did, that others can't buy them or enjoy them. Sounds to me more like an assumption on your part.
However, as last I checked, this is still a public forum, I will continue to post my opinion whether it agrees with yours or not. The real "wrongdoing" was your saying that 1:6 enthusiasts should settle for the oversized 70's offerings which shows a certain amount of hypocricy by you telling folks what they should buy and enjoy.
If folks like these things by all means buy them. Only if there is success in sales can Zica survive.

Please point out where I said 1:6 enthusiasts should ONLY settle for the oversized 70's offerings. All I said was that it would be nice if somebody reproed the 70's Kenner figures as an economic alternative to buying the original Kenner figures. Kind of like how Gentle Giant is offering jumbo-sized repros of Star Wars figures in the $60-$80 range, imagine if 13" Kenner repros were offered in vintage style packaging in that affordable range. You want 1:6. Great. When somebody offers one in the $200+ range you can knock yourself out. I'd rather spend that money on an original vintage Kenner figure but that's just my preference.

Ahh, I get that Venture Bros joke now. I never understood why that guy was hanging out with Sasquatch.

Yeah, if you're not of a certain age, theres probably a few Venture Bros references that may pass you up. Its fun unraveling the references though isn't it? :duff

These are pretty cool, my old stuff is packed up in the attic, but to me (as a child at the time) the things that made these toys stand out were the fact that they had all the little gimmicks (like the bionic eye through the back of the head, lifting the engine arm, etc...) Bionic Man was high tech and at the time I also felt the toys were too, thats why I have such a fond memory of them.

But what they are isn't much.
No offense, I think ZICA had a great start, but was there even anyone asking for these?
I've seen many requests over the years for 1:6 versions, and am well aware that ZICA doesn't want to throw their hat in that ring, but this seems..... cheap. A quick way to make a buck without really needing much in the artistic area.

Um, no. ZICA is a small company. The tooling costs for these are likely very expensive. I'm sure the last thing they'd call this is a quick way to make a buck.
It doesn't really "honor the Kenner aesthetic" either because even the oversized 6MDM [except Bigfoot] had more articulation than these.

Wrong. In fact, on the Mego Museum forum, Zica owner Craig Owens stated that the sculptor used to work for Kenner. When you say it isn't "needing much in the artistic area", you should know that the sculptor said he had difficulty getting th look right, because he is more used to sculpting modern figures.

If you're referring to the Kenner Star Wars figures, these ain't them.

Well of course not. But they look like they'd fit right in with the Vintage Star Wars or Indiana Jones figures from Kenner. Pop off that Steve Austin head, and he looks a lot like a 1980s Return of the Jedi figure. There certainly is not a Star Wars sized audience for these; I don't think that's anyone's expectation. This is a smaller license, with a smaller niche market. And that's just fine. I don't think anyone expects these to be the smash toy of the year. But I think Zica and Super7 are onto something, and I'm more than happy to see them carve out a unique niche of the action figure market.

Go to Zica's website, and read their mission statement. This feels right in line with their goal of "keepin' it retro!"

I don't expect these to be everyone's cup of tea, because not everyone can have the exquisite good taste I do. But to say Zica is missing their intended goal with these is shortsighted and narrow minded.

Um, no. ZICA is a small company. The tooling costs for these are likely very expensive. I'm sure the last thing they'd call this is a quick way to make a buck.

Wrong. In fact, on the Mego Museum forum, Zica owner Craig Owens stated that the sculptor used to work for Kenner. When you say it isn't "needing much in the artistic area", you should know that the sculptor said he had difficulty getting th look right, because he is more used to sculpting modern figures.

Well of course not. But they look like they'd fit right in with the Vintage Star Wars or Indiana Jones figures from Kenner. Pop off that Steve Austin head, and he looks a lot like a 1980s Return of the Jedi figure. There certainly is not a Star Wars sized audience for these; I don't think that's anyone's expectation. This is a smaller license, with a smaller niche market. And that's just fine. I don't think anyone expects these to be the smash toy of the year. But I think Zica and Super7 are onto something, and I'm more than happy to see them carve out a unique niche of the action figure market.

Go to Zica's website, and read their mission statement. This feels right in line with their goal of "keepin' it retro!"

I don't expect these to be everyone's cup of tea, because not everyone can have the exquisite good taste I do. But to say Zica is missing their intended goal with these is shortsighted and narrow minded.

:clap Bravo! :goodpost::exactly::lecture

Please point out where I said 1:6 enthusiasts should ONLY settle for the oversized 70's offerings. All I said was that it would be nice if somebody reproed the 70's Kenner figures as an economic alternative to buying the original Kenner figures. Kind of like how Gentle Giant is offering jumbo-sized repros of Star Wars figures in the $60-$80 range, imagine if 13" Kenner repros were offered in vintage style packaging in that affordable range. You want 1:6. Great. When somebody offers one in the $200+ range you can knock yourself out. I'd rather spend that money on an original vintage Kenner figure but that's just my preference.
You said that if we wanted 1:6, the vintage 6MDM are available on ebay, overlooking the fact that they aren't 1:6. However, please show me where I said I was looking for a $200 figure. You can't. I never did. What I did say was that 1:6 affordable figures like GI Joe and Captain Action were enjoying success with their offerings. There's nothing to say that a 6MDM line couldn't fit in there and do the same.

I know Zica is a small company. However, I wouldn't think the tooling on these would be anywhere near that of more articulated figures requiring more parts.
As for sculpting, if the goal was to sculpt a very generic head, he nailed it.
I know they want to keep it retro. Check the old 3.75" figures, there were a lot of lines with more articulation. All I was saying is that they could have made 6MDM figures with better articulation and served the same purpose. Afterall, who, well besides you two, wants a bionic man that can't move? But if it fills a void in your collections, by all means support it and enjoy it. Hopefully it will last past two figures before they sell these wonderful molds off.

You said that if we wanted 1:6, the vintage 6MDM are available on ebay, overlooking the fact that they aren't 1:6. However, please show me where I said I was looking for a $200 figure. You can't. I never did. What I did say was that 1:6 affordable figures like GI Joe and Captain Action were enjoying success with their offerings. There's nothing to say that a 6MDM line couldn't fit in there and do the same.

I NEVER at ANY time said the vintage Kenner figures were 1:6. Please quote me where I said the original Vintage Kenner figures were, in fact, 1:6 scale.

I'm ALL over these. Bring on Maskatron, Oscar Goldman and the Venus Space Probe. It would be cool though if Zica makes repro vintage 13" Kenner figures.

I merely said I'd RATHER have the original Kenner vintage figures for the cost of a 1:6 scale figure. YOU are making your own crackpot interpretations of what I was saying because you are so hung up on wanting SMDM in 1:6 scale. Most companies that are offering 1:6 scale figures are averaging about $200 now in price. Of coarse there are some niche startups that specialize in more obscure offerings, like Majestic Studios did with their $50 Classic Battlestar Galactica figures from 5 years ago but where are they now? They no longer exist. You can be sure any company willing to take a chance producing a license as old with limited appeal as SMDM is going to have to recoup their R&D and production costs on such a limited production run and the costs will be higher.

These are 4" action figures. They are not, nor is any company currently making SMDM 1:6 scale figures. Until they do, this is what is out there. Move on.

Last edited:
My apologies. When you said:
"For the cost of most 1:6 figures now you can buy some really nice vintage toys MIB. Even a vintage SMDM MIB can be had for less than a new 1:6 figure from Hot Toys." And we were talking about having 1:6
6MDM figures it seemed you were suggesting to use the vintage. As opposed to when Hedji said:
"If you want 12 inch 6MDM figures, there are plenty of vintage ones that can be found MISB for a fraction of Hot Toys prices." which is a statement that clearly shows not reading what I wrote, as vintage are not 12" and I never mentioned wanting Hot Toys priced 6MDM figures.

And you are so hung up on $200 figures that you obviously aren't reading. I've said, more than once, that figures like G.I. Joe and Captain Action are enjoying success in 1:6 without being super expensive. I have said, more than once, that I am NOT talking about high end figures.I never mentioned start up companies like Majestic [who did some great stuff in their day BTW]. Hasbro and Round 2 are both still around last time I checked.

These don't pretend to be statues, they basically are.

A toy maker that actually gets it? If the "it" is that in the 70's kids didn't know much about articulation because there weren't many choices. They took what they could get because no one was making better figures. I would hazard a guess though, that had these been attempted in the 70's, there also would have been an attempt to "enhance" the articulation to keep in theme with the show. Better, Stronger, Faster should equate to an iconic Steve Austin who can do what he did on the show. Not a pint sized thing equivalent to a cigar store indian who only has knee joints in case they ever get a playset to sit at.

If these are aimed purely at the collector market then guys like you are right to be happy. As for getting these on the pegs at TRU? I wouldn't hold my breath.

$19.99 for a 3.75 inch figure? Hardly retro. And you're siting 1:6 high end prices?

I like Zica and what they have tried to do.Buck Rogers was awesome and set the bar for what 8" figures' detail could be. Those figures wound up being able to be gotten for less than the MSRP of these unposeable, detail lacking ones. Again, I get that Zica was aiming to do what Kenner did here, but, other than fan boys, whose looking for less articulated, less detailed figures nowadays?

I wish them well and hope that there is success for them online, but putting these in TRU is just providing stock for the clearance aisle IMHO.

These are 3.75" figures, not even 4" and not 1:6. you are correct in that. Move on? Hopefully folks don't "move on" past these, but it wouldn't be too surprising.

We are obviously both fans with different viewpoints. I don't begrudge you yours, please don't begrudge me mine. There is plenty of room in the forum and the world for multible views. No need to call ones that don't align with yours "shortsighted and narrow minded"

What a weird conversation in a thread dedicated to a fun, lighthearted product.

I think I'll go wander into a Hot Toys thread and dump on them for not being retro enough.

I think I'll go wander into a Hot Toys thread and dump on them for not being retro enough.

He's just acting like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum he didn't get the BIG size toy he wanted and has to spoil the fun for everybody else. Boo!

Don't forget "high priced"
He's just acting like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum he didn't get the BIG size toy he wanted and has to spoil the fun for everybody else. Boo!

Ahhh, more insults. And who's the child?
I didn't realize you two had been promoted to moderate who could or could not comment on something if there viewpoint differed from yours.

I must admit, I've enjoyed our little exchange. (It's fun to try to win the Internet!) But it is odd to keep stating the same point. I think this discussion has played itself out and we've all stated our opinions. There are people who like these. Iron Man1188 doesn't. For another perspective, you may want to check out the overwhelmingly positive response on forums that are less 1:6 centric -Here's a link for you, IronMan1188: MegoMuseum-Zica SubForum

It is odd though, if you have no interest, why keep coming back to say so? It's like going to the grocery store and yelling at all the people buying watermelons because they're not quite the cantaloupes you wish they were. :lol

I collect mostly Star Wars, but if I were to complain in all of the Star Wars threads about how they don't meet my personal vintage aesthetic preference, I wouldn't get any sleep. We should agree to disagree here, and go support things we like by buying them. Time for IronMan1188 to walk away before someone gets hurt.

I must admit, I've enjoyed our little exchange. (It's fun to try to win the Internet!) But it is odd to keep stating the same point. I think this discussion has played itself out and we've all stated our opinions. There are people who like these. Iron Man1188 doesn't. For another perspective, you may want to check out the overwhelmingly positive response on forums that are less 1:6 centric -Here's a link for you, IronMan1188: MegoMuseum-Zica SubForum

It is odd though, if you have no interest, why keep coming back to say so? It's like going to the grocery store and yelling at all the people buying watermelons because they're not quite the cantaloupes you wish they were. :lol

I collect mostly Star Wars, but if I were to complain in all of the Star Wars threads about how they don't meet my personal vintage aesthetic preference, I wouldn't get any sleep. We should agree to disagree here, and go support things we like by buying them. Time for IronMan1188 to walk away before someone gets hurt.

Ironman1188 doesn't walk away from threats and its certainly not up to you or kl241 to say I should.
Yes, we've stated our opinions, and some even managed to do it without threats and name calling.
Read back, though you two and I make up the bulk of this thread, there is other interest in 1:6 versions.
Yes, you will get a more positive response at the MegoMuseum forum [where I'm also a member :monkey5 ]. Not too surprising being as it is a MEGO oriented forum more centered on 8" and smaller "retro" figures AND one that has given ZICA their own section of it. Here, it really is more of a 1:6 or 1:4/statue forum.
I keep coming back because you keep arguing your "point". Fairplay would only justiify a response.
Again, you don't seem to be reading the very posts you're complaining about. I never yelled, or suggested that anyone who likes these shouldn't buy them because they are not 1:6. I did say:
"if it fills a void in your collections, by all means support it and enjoy it"
and
"If these are aimed purely at the collector market then guys like you are right to be happy"
but I guess you coudn't post your comments if you actually quoted me correctly.
We can agree to disagree but anyone who reads this thread can see two things.
1- I disagree with the style of these figures
2- you two can't discuss things without namecalling and threats.

Craig, I do apologize for how this thread morphed and spiraled out of control. I did not realize that only positive views were to be posted. I do wish you success, I still think your Buck Rogers sets will be hard to beat, and sincerely hope you will reconsider making a step into the 1:6 arena.

Big Bad Toy Store is taking preorders! The special promo set will only be available until 07/31/13. After that time retailers will have the choice to charge a higher price for the variant figure. Please support this line!

They've got the right look for 70's retro. They look like they could have been on the peg next to Kenner's Star Wars. Love the pink vintage marketing and SMDM logo. I hope they use it on the blister card.

They must do a scaled down Venus Space Probe.

Back