Resin not curing properly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultramanimator

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I attempted my first resin casting last night (I'm casting a head). The mold turned out perfectly, but the resin didn't fair as well.

I'm using Smooth On's Smooth Cast 326 which is supposed to have a demold time of 1 hr. I left it overnight and it's still sticky and wet.

Somebody please help!!!

depends how thin the part is / tempertaure of the resin and room / maybe you needed to leave it twice as long. also did you use the correct amout, if there is a catalist and in cold temperatures you need to use more off it

The amount is correct and I've left it for about 10 hrs, which is 10 times what it should take. I think it might be the temperature. It was a little cooler in the house last night (around 68 degrees).

Looks like I'll have to clean the mold and start over.

The cooler temp was prob your problem. Esp with clear resins. Next time put your mold in the over for 15-20 mins at 150 then pour the resin. That should fix your problem. ALso if you are adding pigment make sure you don't add to much.

Sorry to here this but your screwed. Most likly you didnt mix it well enough. I have done that. All you can do is pull the messy thing out and try and clean the mold. Depending on what your mold is made of you might be able to clean it with solvent. start with Goo gone then work to Paint thinner. Always test first.
Good Luck.

https://tb.smodev.com/tb/uploads/Smooth-Cast_325,_326,_327.pdf

Thanks for the advice guys. That's why I love coming to this forum.:)

I'm creating a new mold now. It WAS a sticky mess! Anyway, live and learn.

I mixed the resin by volume. According to the instructions, a simple 1:1 ratio is recommended.

Also, thanks for the recommendation Josh, but I want to use a translucent resin to try and get a realistic skin effect. Luckily, Smooth On has a shop 10 minutes from my house, so it's easy (but expensive) to get more supplies.

Blindvoyeur recommended heating the mold first, but I was wondering if it's ok to heat it in the same oven I cook in.

Hey guys! Thanks for the help. I got it working. I think it was a combo of the temperature and the mixture. Now I have to get a pressure pot, 'cuz there's TONS of bubbles.

It's like the head was run through the Lawrence Welk show!:lol

Thanks for the advice guys. That's why I love coming to this forum.:)

I'm creating a new mold now. It WAS a sticky mess! Anyway, live and learn.

I mixed the resin by volume. According to the instructions, a simple 1:1 ratio is recommended.

Also, thanks for the recommendation Josh, but I want to use a translucent resin to try and get a realistic skin effect. Luckily, Smooth On has a shop 10 minutes from my house, so it's easy (but expensive) to get more supplies.

Blindvoyeur recommended heating the mold first, but I was wondering if it's ok to heat it in the same oven I cook in.

Ahhh... I see. And I totally understand now. At first I was wondering why you would choose such a slow curing resin. :lol

Back