Repainted Rambo PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaktown2000

Super Freak
Reaction score
I purchased the Rambo Premium Format figure from Sideshow and was really unimpressed with the flat, one color, factory paint job. So I sent it off to John Allred to have it professionally painted.

This pic illustrates the difference in skin tone. He did an incredible job. From the veins....dirty fingernails...sweaty hair...scars....and facial scruff!

B4_after1.jpg

Rambo1.jpg

Rambo2.jpg

Rambo3.jpg

Rambo4.jpg

Rambo5.jpg

Rambo7.jpg

Rambo8.jpg

Rambo91.jpg

In all honesty, you wasted your money, Pablo Picasso couldn't make the Rambo PF look good. Sorry, just telling it the way I see it. I don't understand why anyone would spend $300 on something that they know isn't even satisfactory toward their liking, and then turn around and spend more money to have it repainted. It's not just the paint that's wrong, the face and pose is way off.

BTW how much money did you pay for the repaint?

Yeah, it looks better... but there is just not much you can do to make it look really good with that sculpt.

Yeah, it looks better... but there is just not much you can do to make it look really good with that sculpt.

Yes it does look better, but the OP probably has close to $500 into this piece by now, not really worth the money, just my opinion.

Bottom line, when I buy a collectible, I don't wont to open up the box and not be thrilled and excited with it. For me it would be like going to an expensive restaurant, ordering a steak and the waiter brings it over and it's not cooked to the why I like it, the waiter would then say to me the cook is sick sir, if you want it the way you like it you'll have to go into the kitchen and finish cooking the steak yourself. Why the hell should I have to fix something that I paid big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for. It better be right from the start, if not, am passing.

Am a huge Stallone fan, but this piece is average at best, to call it a Premium Format collectible is an insult to collectors.

Last edited:
I would just commission a new sculpt, this is not salvageable. Nice try tho'.

The sculpt cannot be changed now, since the PF has been released. No use in crying over spilled milk. The repaint, though, was an awesome job! :) It became very close to the skin tone of a Hot Toys figure.. and I don't know if it's sunlight or the paint, but the statue looks more lively now.

Good repaint, in my opinion. :)

The sculpt cannot be changed now, since the PF has been released. No use in crying over spilled milk. The repaint, though, was an awesome job! :) It became very close to the skin tone of a Hot Toys figure.. and I don't know if it's sunlight or the paint, but the statue looks more lively now.

Good repaint, in my opinion. :)

Yes. Unfortunately, the Hot Toys figure was a little too orange. If I had to choose though, I would probably take the Hot Toys figure. Good effort on behalf of the original poster though.

In all honesty, you wasted your money, Pablo Picasso couldn't make the Rambo PF look good. Sorry, just telling it the way I see it. I don't understand why anyone would spend $300 on something that they know isn't even satisfactory toward their liking, and then turn around and spend more money to have it repainted. It's not just the paint that's wrong, the face and pose is way off.

BTW how much money did you pay for the repaint?

LOL...how can you determine what I wasted my money on. It's your OPINION that the statue is terrible. I like it. Every single person who's been over to my house and has seen it, along with the other 18 PFs I own, has liked it. He is instantly recognized as the character portrayed, just like my Arnold as T-800 and Harrison Ford as Indy.

Yes it does look better, but the OP probably has close to $500 into this piece by now, not really worth the money, just my opinion.

Bottom line, when I buy a collectible, I don't wont to open up the box and not be thrilled and excited with it. For me it would be like going to an expensive restaurant, ordering a steak and the waiter brings it over and it's not cooked to the why I like it, the waiter would then say to me the cook is sick sir, if you want it the way you like it you'll have to go into the kitchen and finish cooking the steak yourself. Why the hell should I have to fix something that I paid big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for. It better be right from the start, if not, am passing.

Am a huge Stallone fan, but this piece is average at best, to call it a Premium Format collectible is an insult to collectors.

First, money spent on something is all relative. I can't understand anyone who would spend a million dollars on a single automobile...but then again...I'm not a billioniare. Maybe $500 doesn't mean as much to me as it does to you.

Second, I can agree up to a point on your "steak" analogy. But...if I knew it was the only steak I was ever going to see...you bet your ass I would pay to go back and cook it again. As the alternative would be, to simply never have steak again.

Sideshow did drop the ball. It isn't as good as it could (or should) have been. However...I'm a big enough Rambo fan that I want a statue. If Sideshow said they would have fixed it. i would have waited. If Sideshow said they would release another Rambo, i would have waitied. But they didn't. So if it means settling for Sideshow's...and paying someone to repaint it and make it look better. Then I will. As stated before...the money spent doesn't bother me in the least. I will never understand why it bothers others.

I can tell you...you are not the only one. I think it looks awesome as well. I wish I could take pics as good as others on this site. My pics suck....and don't show the level of detail added to this statue. You can barely see the facial scruff...or the blue veins running throughout his hands and arms.....or the dirt under individual fingernails....or the sweat on the forehead, headband, and hair....or the coloring on his scars. And in person....it's all easy to see.

I do wish the likeness was more on point....but like I said...I don't think Sideshow is going to do another...so it waseither deal with this likeness....or not have a statue at all.

I'm glad you're happy with the repaint.

So what's the cost to repaint Rambo? I'm interested in what a talented artist charges to do this right.

More then the cost of the statue itself. It was done by John Allred (HereBeMonsters). He also built and painted my Maximus kit and did an AMAZING job on that one as well. Looks like I have a real life...quarter scale Russell Crowe posing in my media room

DSC01120.JPG

LOL...how can you determine what I wasted my money on. It's your OPINION that the statue is terrible. I like it. Every single person who's been over to my house and has seen it, along with the other 18 PFs I own, has liked it. He is instantly recognized as the character portrayed, just like my Arnold as T-800 and Harrison Ford as Indy.

First, money spent on something is all relative. I can't understand anyone who would spend a million dollars on a single automobile...but then again...I'm not a billioniare. Maybe $500 doesn't mean as much to me as it does to you.

Second, I can agree up to a point on your "steak" analogy. But...if I knew it was the only steak I was ever going to see...you bet your ass I would pay to go back and cook it again. As the alternative would be, to simply never have steak again.

Sideshow did drop the ball. It isn't as good as it could (or should) have been. However...I'm a big enough Rambo fan that I want a statue. If Sideshow said they would have fixed it. i would have waited. If Sideshow said they would release another Rambo, i would have waitied. But they didn't. So if it means settling for Sideshow's...and paying someone to repaint it and make it look better. Then I will. As stated before...the money spent doesn't bother me in the least. I will never understand why it bothers others.

Don't let the haters get to you. If you check out the Rambo PF thread, you'll see that there were basically two camps - those who liked the PF despite its imperfections, and those who hated it no matter what. For the record, I love my Rambo PF and your repaint just makes it look that much better. Money well spent, I'd say. :clap

Back