Removing smoke smell from figures.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njlanman

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove smoke or other orders from action figures and their clothing? Thanks.

no idea but this reminds me of an Attakus vader I saw on Ebay once where the guys said it was in a fire and needed to be cleaned real well. I didn't buy it :lol

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove smoke or other orders from action figures and their clothing? Thanks.

A friend bought a Hot Toys Avengers Cap that had really bad smoke odor and used Febreze by spraying it on a towel and patting it on the figure.

It removed the odor and it didn't damage his figure.

Thats what i did. I bought a davey jones that looked great in the box. Complete. Told the seller all was good. Then i opened the box and the smell of Benson & Hedges was overwhelming. Initially i tried diluted pinesol. But it saw too strong and i had a feeling i would eventually damage tthe figure.

Then i remembered Someone who would buy a dress, wear it to a wedding or something, then spray it with fabreeze to return it the next day. So i took a few paper towels and sprayed them with fabreeze and wrapped them around the figure. Then put the figure in a box. Gradually the smoke smell disappateted after several sessions. Best way ive seen so far.

Last edited:
I've heard of putting some dryer sheets and the figures in a bag together..
I've done this before with a figure I purchased that reeked of cigarette smoke. I put the figure and a couple of dryer sheets in a gallon sized zop-loc bag, closed it, left it alone for about a week, then took it out and the smell was gone. For statues I guess you would need a garbage bag.

Dryer sheets in a bag. That was a way to rid those custom 89 Batman figure of their horrid cigarette smoke.

Bamboo Charcoal works great in removing odour, but if you can remove the clothing then handwash it is the best. and if it's plastic you can use alcohol (or alternative to alcohol) wipes depending on the material, coz there will be thin layers of stains on the surface dryer can't remove, they look yellowish on the wipes.

Put the figure in front of an ozone producing air purifier for a couple of hours. Smell will be gone. Have a living air purifier I got for cost it really works well. For giggles I put a dirty work sock in front of it for an hour, no smell. Used it during the fires we had in the hills. Thick black smoke outside and was almost as bad inside. After an hour on high all was good. Lent it to a guy who had a 5 gallon water bottle pop open in his suburban. The smell was unbearable in there after a few days. He put it in there on high over night with all the windows closed. After airing out, not bad. Couple of more treatments and it is not noticeable.

I agree with using bamboo charcoal, though I have no idea if it has any unwanted effects on toys, seems unlikely though.

any recommendations to get the smell out of the body itself? I've tried the fabric ziplock method and at first I thought it had gone but now a few months later I can still smell it

Back