removing battle damage from t800 life size statue Sideshow V2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well according to Paul Francis who worked on the V1's, they had 3 level coating in this order :
1. Copper
2. Nickel
3. Chrome

He said the Chrome was very durable and is cold to the touch.

From my own experience of the V1, it is without a doubt fully chrome, the finish is just incredible! Like a mirror :)

As you say, best that safire25 contacts Sideshow about the paint issue, they have been helpful to me in the past on other projects.
Do yourself a big favour safire, please contact sideshow first :)

ALIEN

Yes, that process is correct for chrome plating. I own and operate a fairly large plating company and although we specialize in high reliability precious metals plating, I know a thing or two about the chrome process as well. Copper, nickel (usually triple nickel), chrome is the correct process so whoever Paul Francis is, is dead on. Chrome is a metal so yes it will be cold to the touch and is very hard. However, decorative chromium is a very thin deposit and can be worn through so be careful.

The V1 sounds like is was chrome plated which is pretty cool and makes it more impressive in my eyes. I would be careful about the V2 though based on the decription given by safire25. If the OP isn't seeing any "shiny" metal at all, then I would hazard to guess SS changed it up and either painted or powder coated it. If that's the case, no amount of polishing or rubbing is going to work. It will only ruin the finish.

I hope this helps a little. I'd hate to see a cool replica like this get ruined. I was actually thinking about getting one, but now I wish would have gotten the V1.

Yes, that process is correct for chrome plating. I own and operate a fairly large plating company and although we specialize in high reliability precious metals plating, I know a thing or two about the chrome process as well. Copper, nickel (usually triple nickel), chrome is the correct process so whoever Paul Francis is, is dead on. Chrome is a metal so yes it will be cold to the touch and is very hard. However, decorative chromium is a very thin deposit and can be worn through so be careful.

The V1 sounds like is was chrome plated which is pretty cool and makes it more impressive in my eyes. I would be careful about the V2 though based on the decription given by safire25. If the OP isn't seeing any "shiny" metal at all, then I would hazard to guess SS changed it up and either painted or powder coated it. If that's the case, no amount of polishing or rubbing is going to work. It will only ruin the finish.

I hope this helps a little. I'd hate to see a cool replica like this get ruined. I was actually thinking about getting one, but now I wish would have gotten the V1.

Paul Francis is the guy now at Chronicle Collectibles, they recently produced the lifesize Genisys Bust & Statue.
He's a really helpful guy and the company are releasing products fast!

The Genisys Endo they have produced is ok but not chromed and i'm not a fan of the face, eyes and statue stance.
To others however may think different, it's currently available for US$7500 + Shipping.

Your word triple nickle rang a bell, he may have mentioned that also but i'm not 100% sure.

Sometimes the V1's do pop up for sale and both Chrome & Combat versions are just superb.
There's something about the stance on the V1's, it also has a taller base.
Keep an eye on ebay, you never know :)

20150808_114620.jpgshiny.jpgshiny4.jpgMatt2.jpgThanks guys. Not sure if V2 is triple plated like the V1 or not but yes it is definitely chromed underneath. The only think that worked in the end was paint stripper. Tested on a very small part first then took the gamble and cleaned the whole thing. Took a lot of hours but I'm glad I did it now. Before it was too dull not maybe a tad too shiny haha but still think this looks more impressive. hope you agree. Last pic is the "before"

View attachment 208433View attachment 208434View attachment 208435View attachment 208436Thanks guys. Not sure if V2 is triple plated like the V1 or not but yes it is definitely chromed underneath. The only think that worked in the end was paint stripper. Tested on a very small part first then took the gamble and cleaned the whole thing. Took a lot of hours but I'm glad I did it now. Before it was too dull not maybe a tad too shiny haha but still think this looks more impressive. hope you agree. Last pic is the "before"

Oh yes, well done!
Looks much better, makes me wonder why the hell Sideshow don't just sell them as chromed in the first place!
Unless like i said before, sometimes the chrome can have defects and additional over paint can hide them.

Blimey, paint stripper!
It's great to read you finally found the magic solution!

ALIEN

P.S
Did you add those additional pipes & fittings to the left & right side of the inner chest, next to the pistons?
This was going to be my next step for my own endo.

Wow you are observant! yes I did. Noticed these cables on many of the screen used endos that were missing from this sideshow life size

Got it pretty close I think using standard metal braids for plumbing and bent the ends

On some endos they also have braids coming from the leg pistons and arm pistons but I don't see these additional cables for all screen used t800 so not sure yet if I will add these

Oh yes, well done!
Looks much better, makes me wonder why the hell Sideshow don't just sell them as chromed in the first place!
Unless like i said before, sometimes the chrome can have defects and additional over paint can hide them.

Blimey, paint stripper!
It's great to read you finally found the magic solution!

ALIEN

P.S
Did you add those additional pipes & fittings to the left & right side of the inner chest, next to the pistons?
This was going to be my next step for my own endo.

Is there a thread with reviews of the T-800 life size statue, Thanks.

Here is the thread for the Version 2.0 that is currently being sold from SSC.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-/80067-800-version-2-0-life-size-figure.html

It seems there are mixed feelings between owners of the version 2 model. I would read through all 45 pages, just to get an idea of different experiences each owner has had.

Here is also an un-boxing video which also shows how he will arrive on a pallet in multiple boxes.

Very interesting thread ,

I just buyed and received my V 2.0
I am still asking myself if I should clean it , my girlfriend prefer it weathered and I prefer clean chrome , I just tried one hide section and I can clean it pretty easily with non acetone nail remover ...

I will take the time for taking my decision I guess ... at 6k US I dont want to ruin it but with pics in the thread I thing it can look pretty nice ....

Mike

Safire , I have to say I like the chrome much better . At first I thought the weathered version looked kinda cool , till I see it in chrome again . No job!
Wish SS would get there crap together and do another full size chrome version :(

Back