Recordable sound chips ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundergod

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any cheap , recordable " sound chip " type gadgets small enough to utilize in figures and/or display bases ? I recently bought the excellent "Sounds of Star Wars " book by J.W. Rinzler , which features sound clips of virtually EVERY sound featured in all of the movies and this set my little mind working overtime . As I plan on a few single-figure type diorama bases for some of my Star Wars figures , the option of adding sounds/music/diologue clips becomes an appealing feature . Any ideas ?

Try the record your message birthday/christmas cards, you should get a short cloip on one of those, just rip it out of the card and presto.

I've always been interested in doing something with sound if I had the brains. Thought it would be cool to put something on my Jabba so when you walked by his display he'd give out a nice laugh.

Try the record your message birthday/christmas cards, you should get a short cloip on one of those, just rip it out of the card and presto.

My first thought was to go with the chips that come with cards , but on "researching " them , it turns out they have a limited life of about 300 plays . Though it's a cheap option , I'd prefer something a little more permanent .

Oh oh!!! You ever hear of those Command Tech Chips that Hasbro did back in 98'-99'? Are you trying to accomplise something like that for 1/6?

I put one in my 1/6 Wampa:

wampa_sound.jpg

wampa2.jpg

Works great and it's very small (the 1st photo makes it look like it's sticking out further than it really is). You can find them on eBay, etc.

Sean

I made one for my Vader costume. I used the parts from the Think Geek personal sound track t-shirt and it works great only thing is its not small enough to put in a 1/6 figure.

I have used a 'Build-a-Bear' sound recording box inside some of my GI Joe bodied customs. Works well and you can record anything you want on it, and change it later if you want.

cc76ec1942e5643e46279d0bf9d44e9a.jpg

Thanks for the responses fellahs ! The only thing I can find on ebay ( at the moment ) are the greeting card greeblies , which as I said , have a relatively short life , but Brinn , the build-a-bear gadget looks perfect . And as I've a couple of ankle-biters who frequent said establishment regularly , that'll be the route I'll be checking out . Cheers .:wink1:

I put one in my 1/6 Wampa:

wampa_sound.jpg

wampa2.jpg

Works great and it's very small (the 1st photo makes it look like it's sticking out further than it really is). You can find them on eBay, etc.

Sean

Looks good is that using a recordable greeting card?

Like the sound of the build a bear will look into that;)

I know the old Build-a-Bear voice box is a little big for modern figures, but they could have made changes to the unit since I last used them in the 90's. Good luck! :duff

Thanks for the responses fellahs ! The only thing I can find on ebay ( at the moment ) are the greeting card greeblies , which as I said , have a relatively short life , but Brinn , the build-a-bear gadget looks perfect . And as I've a couple of ankle-biters who frequent said establishment regularly , that'll be the route I'll be checking out . Cheers .:wink1:

You need to search for "recordable sound module" or some such phrase:

This is the one I used in my Wampa (not a greeting card unit):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200373020007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was going to get this one for my Bantha so I could replace the speaker with something a little beefier:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/230524320163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sean

Thundergod,

In case you are still considering options...

Please forgive the old news.

This is not a super cheap solution, but it has lots of built in features. You can load files to the figure from a computer and then play the files from the figure or remote control.

More info:
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...w-zolotron-zolotronic-1-6th-scale-bodies.html

“The Zolotronic has a USB port for plugging in and playing your favorite digital media. Buttons on the back of the figure allow for manual operation while an included remote control lets you control the action from a distance. The Zolotronic is also available exclusively at ZoloWorld.com.”

I just contacted Mike at Zoloworld and confirmed he has some of the figures with MP3 players at this moment, but he is out of the remote controls. Of course, you could find some elsewhere with some research.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I would rather have lights that work by remote control for figures like Iron Man or vehicles like the Tumbler. I hate having to repose figures to use the light features, or take them out of their case as with my Tumbler.

I have found most electronics (lights, sounds) to simply be uneeded gimmicks. My figures are displayed inside a Detolf and hardly ever touched. Light up stands, etc are never turned on because I don't want to be constantly changing batteries. While they sure look cool and give that "WOW!" factor i.e. Tron lightcycle, I find that for the most part they just sit there.

Back