Realistic flesh? How long does it take you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fangs of Death

Super Freak
Reaction score
How long per headsculpt, just the flesh tones and shading, not the eyes or lips etc? I've been battling this weekend to find a method to be able to crank out a few heads without spending an age on the painting. As far as I'm concerned (no offence meant to anyone does put the time in) it should be possible to get a face's flesh looking right within ten minutes...that's my goal.
I've given up trying to emulate Headplay and DiD etc...theirs is just a thin finish that needs no shading--it just looks like flesh with just a thin spray (by the looks of it). I can't do it, but it should IMO be possible to get some kind of a decent finish in that time, I would've thought.

I guess my problem is I resent having to paint features when the thing's been sculpted to a likeness...might as well paint the shadows on a generic blank face and be done with it. Annoying. :medic

Well it all depends on how you go about it.
For instance mixing the flesh tone colour yourself.
Also no flesh is really ever the same so i mix new flesh colour each time i paint a head.
I have never heard of it being done in 10mins.
As it needs to be spot on.
As some characters just look like flesh and some have different colours and freckles so all is different.

One thing i find a pain is lips.

Also chalk pastels are amazing but take some getting used to
as when you seal your work some colours go darker , soem the same and then some just dissapear.
So you need to try various brands.
Also one thing i have never used is transparents . for the simple fact i don't know how but i will do soon.

I saw the transparent paints last time I was at the craft store, Hidden your an awesome painter im glad your sharing with us noobs! Care to explain the difference or concept behind the tranparent paints to us?

Also the tuturiol Cheungkinmen posted the link too is awesome, ive painted a few heads ive sculpted this way.

I saw the transparent paints last time I was at the craft store, Hidden your an awesome painter im glad your sharing with us noobs! Care to explain the difference or concept behind the tranparent paints to us?

Why thank you for the kind comments.
Well transparent's are there to add layers.
And can only be airbrushed for a realistic effect.
So say you paint your flesh base colour , and the person needs freckles.
You add the freckles now.
Then add your highlight's.
And then add your subtle shading , and the key word here is subtle as skin can look un realistic if the shadows are too dark.
Then you can make a transparent colour with your original flesh colour and airbrush paint extender.
Put it in your airbrush and crank the compressor up to 30psi.
Take the nozzle cap of and spray the head at about 10/15 inches away
this will tone down the effects and blend it in.
Use a hairdryer on it to make it dry and then do the same until you are left with the effect you like.
This also works with painting veins and it makes them look beneath the skin.
Also you need to take the nozzle cap of as it fills with paint and splatters on the sculpt.
Also the reason this can't be done properly in 10 minutes is due to the fact after each stage mentioned i seal it with dull cote laquer and often use a full tin per head.
And this needs to dry for at least 30mins.
But people have different ways , some people airbrush the shadows in , but chalk pastels are amazing for this type of work.
But it can also be messy too.
Just practice and more practice , i learnt all this by watching the model mania David Fisher Video's/DVD'S.

Anymore help just ask as i don't mind sharing my secret's

Thanks Hidden your the man! Silent Surfer is always talking about the model masters video, im goin to look into getting it! If you guys say its good I believe you! Thanks for being willing to share your info with us!

Thanks Hidden your the man! Silent Surfer is always talking about the model masters video, im goin to look into getting it! If you guys say its good I believe you! Thanks for being willing to share your info with us!

What is good about these videos is they start from the very basic's of using airbrushes and then goes more into depth.
They have 5 in the series.
4&5 are on DVD but the other 3 were video release and are not on DVD.

I found an old vhs od the earlier ones on ebay too bad I dont have a vcr anymore, im goin to order the dvd soon. Any way u could do a rough tutorial on painting a headsculpt? I dont think ive seen any from any painter using airbrush or newer techniques to get these hot toys level paint up you guys are doing, thanks again Hidden Jitsu

I found an old vhs od the earlier ones on ebay too bad I dont have a vcr anymore, im goin to order the dvd soon. Any way u could do a rough tutorial on painting a headsculpt? I dont think ive seen any from any painter using airbrush or newer techniques to get these hot toys level paint up you guys are doing, thanks again Hidden Jitsu

Well to be honest Hot toys apparently print the paint on
Hence they look so good and don't need re-painting.
Can't understand why sideshow can't do this with there statues
for the amount they cost:slap

Hey I second a Tutorial on painting head sculpt's by Hidden Jitsu.:yess:

Hey I second a Tutorial on painting head sculpt's by Hidden Jitsu.:yess:

Hahaaaaa! Ok if there is enough interest i will do it
all you have to do is buy me a 1/6 scale head each:clap

I may also be able to do it with pics too but my camera is pooh.
The whole idea was to buy one but i'm hooked on 1/6 scale now.
I have about 15 heads , no body's or clothes and none painted LOL!
I will get my customer order's out of the way and then i will sort something out.

Hahaaaaa! Ok if there is enough interest i will do it
all you have to do is buy me a 1/6 scale head each:clap

I may also be able to do it with pics too but my camera is pooh.
The whole idea was to buy one but i'm hooked on 1/6 scale now.
I have about 15 heads , no body's or clothes and none painted LOL!
I will get my customer order's out of the way and then i will sort something out.

Awesome man I might have to send something your way then! Lloking foward to seeing those 15 heads you got waiting!

Well to be honest Hot toys apparently print the paint on
Hence they look so good and don't need re-painting.
Can't understand why sideshow can't do this with there statues
for the amount they cost:slap

I don't think its for the whole thing, just some details that need to be consistent.

Hmmmm! i have always wondered if this works or not.
Does it dry and can it be sealed with laquer?

It indeed does work, and it gives a more natural skin tone and faster results than just acrylics. But avoid using oil based concealers as they don't go well with sealers. I've sealed my make up work and they look great so far. :yess:

20130507232032.jpg

img0277gkn.jpg

Back