RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SW: TFA 6/10 (2nd Viewing exactly one year later)

Good cinematography, better writting than the prequels, it was nice to see the old characters, and Finn, Poe, Kylo and even Hux were great, but... Rey is the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. She's a mix between Kate Bishop, America Chavez and Riri Williams if we're talking in comic terms. She's so bland and "perfect", that she ruins the whole movie. I could get over the ANH rehash, but she's just... bad...

Good cinematography, better writting than the prequels, it was nice to see the old characters, and Finn, Poe, Kylo and even Hux were great, but... Rey is the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. She's a mix between Kate Bishop, America Chavez and Riri Williams if we're talking in comic terms. She's so bland and "perfect", that she ruins the whole movie. I could get over the ANH rehash, but she's just... bad...

And Luke is what? Experience Suave and developed?

I smell double standard.....

200w.gif

And Luke is what? Experience Suave and developed?

I smell double standard.....

200w.gif

Eh, I see that thrown around a lot, and it's really not the same. Luke was trained by Obi-Wan and was still pretty sucky. Remember the training scene in the Falcon with the Marksman Remote? In Empire, he got his ass kicked by Vader and lost his hand. Even with the training by Yoda. Heck, even Anakin got his butt handed to him by Dooku in AOTC, and he had been training for a decade or so. Meanwhile, Rey, with no training whatsoever, performed a mind trick on a Stormtrooper, so not just an average joe, resisted Kylo's mind read and read his mind, and then proceeded to kick his ass. The guy who had been training since a youngling, under both Luke and Snoke.

Not to mention she was an expert on flying and repairing the Falcon, a pretty old ship itself. Not to mention the cray maneuvers in the chase scene. How does a scavenger get so good at flying ships, especially something as big as the Falcon, and as good an engineer? Luke and Anakin spent all their time with electronics, and they couldn't even hope to compete with that.

Anakin was a Gary Stu as well, but Rey is just an OP Mary Sue. Every protagonist is at some point an Over-Powered person who wins by Plot Convenience, but they took it too far with Rey. She gets the Falcon for some reason (here you go random person we've know for a day or so, you get to sit in my lifelong friend's seat), she gets hugged by Leia (screw you Chewie, this gal jus like, lost the guy she knew for a hours), she gets to be an extremely powerful Force user even without training, it's too much and too fast.

I know I'm saying the same things others said a while back, but I just rewatched it, and just not noticed all the problems. I gave the flick a 9 or so last year, but yeah, it doesn't hold up.

Eh, I see that thrown around a lot, and it's really not the same. Luke was trained by Obi-Wan and was still pretty sucky. Remember the training scene in the Falcon with the Marksman Remote? In Empire, he got his ass kicked by Vader and lost his hand. Even with the training by Yoda. Heck, even Anakin got his butt handed to him by Dooku in AOTC, and he had been training for a decade or so. Meanwhile, Rey, with no training whatsoever, performed a mind trick on a Stormtrooper, so not just an average joe, resisted Kylo's mind read and read his mind, and then proceeded to kick his ass. The guy who had been training since a youngling, under both Luke and Snoke.

Not to mention she was an expert on flying and repairing the Falcon, a pretty old ship itself. Not to mention the cray maneuvers in the chase scene. How does a scavenger get so good at flying ships, especially something as big as the Falcon, and as good an engineer? Luke and Anakin spent all their time with electronics, and they couldn't even hope to compete with that.

Anakin was a Gary Stu as well, but Rey is just an OP Mary Sue. Every protagonist is at some point an Over-Powered person who wins by Plot Convenience, but they took it too far with Rey. She gets the Falcon for some reason (here you go random person we've know for a day or so, you get to sit in my lifelong friend's seat), she gets hugged by Leia (screw you Chewie, this gal jus like, lost the guy she knew for a hours), she gets to be an extremely powerful Force user even without training, it's too much and too fast.

I know I'm saying the same things others said a while back, but I just rewatched it, and just not noticed all the problems. I gave the flick a 9 or so last year, but yeah, it doesn't hold up.

Ok, I'll buy this.....

The novel actually addressed much of this, and I felt it was a mistake to skip these parts in the film.

In the novel Rey is said to be a great pilot, and has flown many ship, just not out side the atmosphere. There is actually a chse with other juunk scavngers through a junk yard, which I really would have liked to see, where Rey used the force unknowingly.

I think Leia knows Rey........and somehow that part with be a big reveal somewhere. If not, then your right, I felt that was odd. Her and Chewie just ignoring each other was just plain wrong.

I believe alot of the reason Rey can do what sh can do, will be revealed later in the series.....I have a feeling its going to be akin to Anakin's born abilities....which will hearken back to the prequels a bit too much for most folks.

Rogue One 2nd viewing. (was dragged with family, they thought is was boring as well)

6/10 still boring. Won't ever watch again besides the Vader bits.

I saw Rogue One a second time Last week and I'd give it a 6.5/10.

I didn't think it was boring but none of the main characters really drew me in. I don't think they developed them enough to really care about them. Definitely a different type of SW film for me. The space scenes were great but overall I didn't enjoy it as much as Episodes 4-7.

Yeah i knew going in it was gonna be different. Then i hear all these rave reviews from board members here so i go opening night and i'm like did we see the same movie? LOL.

Bring on EP8!

Also...

Daddy's home 2/10
Maggie 5/10

Yeah i knew going in it was gonna be different. Then i hear all these rave reviews from board members here so i go opening night and i'm like did we see the same movie? LOL.

Bring on EP8!

Also...

Daddy's home 2/10
Maggie 5/10

I'm ready for 8 for sure. As a stand alone backstory to 4 I thought Rogue did the job. Loved seeing Vader. Loved seeing Tarkin. Loved seeing the Death Star pre ANH. I would have liked more of a continuation to the Erso/Krennic story from Catalyst and a bit more about the Death Star construction and kyber crystal usage in the weapon but I understand they had to focus on the Rogue One group and the retrieval of the plans.

That's interesting, because I thought Finn was awful - like he was a British guy channelling Shia LeBouf for two hours. :monkey4

Creed - 9/10

Finally saw this one. Solid film, worthy of at least an 8/10 on its own, but the stellar performances bring it up another notch. Can't wait to see Jordan and director Coogler collaborate again on Black Panther.

Ok, I'll buy this.....

The novel actually addressed much of this, and I felt it was a mistake to skip these parts in the film.

In the novel Rey is said to be a great pilot, and has flown many ship, just not out side the atmosphere. There is actually a chse with other juunk scavngers through a junk yard, which I really would have liked to see, where Rey used the force unknowingly.

I think Leia knows Rey........and somehow that part with be a big reveal somewhere. If not, then your right, I felt that was odd. Her and Chewie just ignoring each other was just plain wrong.

I believe alot of the reason Rey can do what sh can do, will be revealed later in the series.....I have a feeling its going to be akin to Anakin's born abilities....which will hearken back to the prequels a bit too much for most folks.

I don't have a problem with the feats themselves, what I have a problem with is that they happened far too fast and they all got sorta "lumped together". She impresses Han so much, he offers her a job. She gets to co-pilot the Falcon alongside Chewie. She gets hugged by Leia. She gets the Skywalker saber. She defeats the bad-guy. It's basically a 2.5 hour Rey glorification flick. Back in the OT, and in the PT, everybody had something to do. Now, you can take out most characters, and the flick will be more or less the same, because every vital moment of the film depended on Rey.

It was just a bad choice to make her so OP this early. Like I said, Anakin was a Gary Stu at points as well, but even he lost and got his ass handed to him, even if he was a trained Jedi. And then you have this untrained gal being able to defeat a person who's trained under Luke and Snoke, in both Sides of the Force. It's just too much. Add to that the adoration of everyone and it reads like bad fan-fic.

That's interesting, because I thought Finn was awful - like he was a British guy channelling Shia LeBouf for two hours. :monkey4

Eh, he was the "fish out of water", average joe type of guy, and that made him the underdog you rooted for. He wasn't the suave pilot that Poe was , or the brilliant engineer/Force sensitive protagonist, he was just... there.

Back