RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another reason I love Taxi Driver so much is my personal preference to that era of film. My favourite period is the late '60s - very early '80s period where directors were given a pretty free reign by the studios. Along with some of my other favourites, like The Godfather 1 and 2, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, and The Graduate, to me Taxi Driver is one of the best movies of the New Hollywood movement.

I heartily agree. About 70 percent of the films made during that golden period from the late 60's on to the early 80's wouldn't even make it to the screen these days. One of my all time favourite films is Jaws, but the way that whole movie blew up into 'an event', followed closely by such merchandising monsters as Superman and Star Wars, led to the studios continually scrambling around searching for the next summer blockbuster and effectively called time on that era (yes Peter Biskind, I did read your book way too many times when I was at college).

Can you imagine trying to sell something like Five Easy Pieces these days? They'd be like "Nothing happens. It's just about some guy. What do you mean there's a big scene where he plays the piano? Does the piano transform into a robot? No? Well, can we change the script so that the piano does change into a robot?"

I heartily agree. About 70 percent of the films made during that golden period from the late 60's on to the early 80's wouldn't even make it to the screen these days. One of my all time favourite films is Jaws, but the way that whole movie blew up into 'an event', followed closely by such merchandising monsters as Superman and Star Wars, led to the studios continually scrambling around searching for the next summer blockbuster and effectively called time on that era (yes Peter Biskind, I did read your book way too many times when I was at college).

Can you imagine trying to sell something like Five Easy Pieces these days? They'd be like "Nothing happens. It's just about some guy. What do you mean there's a big scene where he plays the piano? Does the piano transform into a robot? No? Well, can we change the script so that the piano does change into a robot?"

Absolutely, I've always found it ironic that some of the greatest movies of the time, Jaws and Star Wars, led to the end of that era, in addition to the horrible financial failures of Heaven's Gate and One From the Heart.

Another reason I love Taxi Driver so much is my personal preference to that era of film. My favourite period is the late '60s - very early '80s period where directors were given a pretty free reign by the studios. Along with some of my other favourites, like The Godfather 1 and 2, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, and The Graduate, to me Taxi Driver is one of the best movies of the New Hollywood movement.

Absolutely, I've always found it ironic that some of the greatest movies of the time, Jaws and Star Wars, led to the end of that era, in addition to the horrible financial failures of Heaven's Gate and One From the Heart.

Good conversation going on here.

Jurassic World - 6/10.

Big disappointment! The story was meh and the characters not very likable. It will be hard for a jurassic sequel to get the magic and sense of wonder of the 1st one.

Alright, I haven't been in this thread in a while, so I'm just going to rapid fire this stuff off:

Mad Max Fury Road- 9/10 I didn't have any interest in the movie, but after seeing all the praise, I figured I had to see it. I loved it!

China Town- 10/10- I need to bump Empire Strikes Back from my top 5 movies now for this. I absolutely loved it. Actually, I was going to bump it anyways. I recently tried to watch Return of the Jedi and that kind of turned me off from Star Wars. I'm sure the fire will reignite once Force Awakens hits.

First Blood- 7/10- Whenever I heard of Rambo, I always thought of some mindless meat-head movie. I'm glad I was wrong! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Terminator 2- 8/10 I don't think I ever saw this whole movie. I think I only saw some parts and got bored, because I got enough the the time travel stuff from the first movie (I just never cared time travel in stories). Whenever they stopped focusing on a lot of the future aspects (I liked the playground part though), I really enjoyed the movie.

The Graduate 9/10- It's even better than the first time I saw it! It might be my favorite comedy of all time.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990- 2/10 I loved it when I was a little kid, and I saw that some listed it as one of the best comic book movies, so I wanted to check it out again. Never again.

Superman II- 4/10- After reading (and loving) Superman for All Seasons, I wanted to watch a Superman movie. I figured I'd give this another chance after not seeing it for so long. This made me hate Superman.

Pretty Woman 8/10- I'm not into romantic comedies, but I really liked this movie. I haven't seen Julia Roberts in a movie since the Ocean flicks, and I really liked her as an actress. I'm going to check out some more movies with her.

Fury 7/10- It was fine...This was a really one-sided movie with some good drama. It's not one of the best WWII films, but I liked it.

Back