Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama - Preorder 9/10

Secured my Ex. order, that's a must have option to me.

I'm just curious, but what exactly would you change about the design of this bust? I personally think it's a pretty killer composition. :eek:

The rancor is fantastic. Luke is skulpted well. However, there is a lack of movement in his form. He looks um....stiff (no jokes please). It's a cool dio. It may have been less stiff looking if the rancor's arm was lower. :dunno

What really throws me with the "diorama" title is that this piece in no way looks like a diorama. To me, diorama's include environmental elements, this is just a bust with an arm holding someone, it's more an LSB than a dio. A dio should have elements of the cave or door or something. Even Padme vs Nexu, the column she's on adds evironment and context to the figures, these two just are.

I think a lot of people were expecting a traditional concept of a diorama and are really thrown off by this because it's not.
What he said.

Also, the angle of the body in relation to the base just seems kind of weird. I see what they were going for, but we're used to busts being more 'square on' than this, so where the Rancor is cut off looks kind of weird.

Another plus, if they do that nice a paint job on 1/8 Gammy, imagine the 1/6 figure :drool

gamorrean guard -----much better than Luke

200020_press03-001.jpg

Luke sculpt looks great.

I actually just ordered the Ex due to the Gamorrean guard option. Now that I'm over the initial shock of it not being the diorama we expected, this looks like a really cool piece and actually might be a good companion piece for the GG Rancor.

Indeed, definitely poor angle on the first photo with Luke, but really, with Andy involved, I wasn't worried about sculpts.

What really throws me with the "diorama" title is that this piece in no way looks like a diorama. To me, diorama's include environmental elements, this is just a bust with an arm holding someone, it's more an LSB than a dio. A dio should have elements of the cave or door or something. Even Padme vs Nexu, the column she's on adds evironment and context to the figures, these two just are.

I think a lot of people were expecting a traditional concept of a diorama and are really thrown off by this because it's not.

I couldn't agree with you more. This should have never been called a "diorama" in the first place, and I can totally understand the resulting exploding heads (kinda). However, how that translates into this being a 'piece of crap' is beyond me. I have a feeling that folks will come around and start to appreciate this bust on it's own merit after the mistaken-identity dust settles a bit.

I actually just ordered the Ex due to the Gamorrean guard option. Now that I'm over the initial shock of it not being the diorama we expected, this looks like a really cool piece and actually might be a good companion piece for the GG Rancor.

Sadly, the GG is not replaced in terms of having a full Rancor in the collection, but in terms of representing the creature, this one captures it much better.

I'm really digging it too now that I'm not hung up on what type of product it is, and I can just see it really adding to my ever growing SSC Jabba display.

how that translates into this being a 'piece of crap' is beyond me

More choice of words than anything, and more so statements reflecting frustration.

Not being what you expect = crap. Not a rational thought, just an emotional venting.

Im suprised but I still like it. The sculpt on Luke looks great, the Rancor looks mean and hungry. I ordered but will see if I keep it.

After I got over the initial "what the hell kind of diorama is this?" shock it actually looks pretty cool. And the Ex is a must.

I might go back and use reward points

I think it looks really good. If I had wanted one to begin with I think I would be disappointed since it is nothing like I was expecting, but as an observer I think its pretty cool and will be a nice edition to any collection. You'll just have to give it time to get over your expectation.

Back