Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama - Preorder 9/10

Luke almost looks too big compared to the Rancor, or at least to me.

I wouldn't expect this to be much more than 15-18" tall.

Yeah, the sculpt on the rancor is jaw-droppingly awesome.. Luke, not so much.. but it's the creative choice they made on the piece. For the $300+ it will cost, it's not something I'd want right away, if ever.

Luke's size looks just about right, the Rancor is often portrayed largere but if you watch Jedi carefully, his head and mouth aren't as large as you'd think, it barely gets the Gamorrean and not in one bite.

How could anyone pay $300 for this crap? I'm amazed that anyone's even considering it.

yeah.. the scale is good... the rancor sculpt is awesome. the rest is meh. Not worth the Price IMO.

Okay, so now the question is how hard would it be to pull off sculpting the REST of the Rancor. I kid, I kid. (Unless of course you guys at Sideshow would like to take this sculpt, finish it, blow it up to, say, 1:6 and sell the whole thing in rotocast....)

I'm kinda hoping this will be like a first stab at the Rancor and a start to making a roto cast 1/6 Rancor.

This Rancor should be about 1/8 scale, 1/6 is that much further off.

rolling_rancor.jpg

I don't blame the sculptor but the art direction here. Wow! Just WOW!!!!

This sucks so bad mostly because of what it could have been.

Sideshow: take this back to the drawing board. How the hell did this get approved?????

Rancor looks like he is holding a Kenner Luke 3 3/4 figure :lol

that was my first impression too.

this is a sad looking "diorama" to me. I was really excited about it too. oh well.

EDIT: Chop the arm off, make it a little larger and sell it as a legendary scale bust. i would probably go for that.

OMG....i dont even have words for this one........:sick
Glad i dont have to fork out money for this now...
Id much rather wait for the Luke Jedi PF :D

How anyone can call this "crap" is beyond my comprehension. This bust is gorgeous! Granted, everyone is suffering from a bit of whiplash due the "diorama" curveball... I was imagining a full figure Rancor myself and am beyond bummed about that too. That said, if this was labeled as a "bust" from the beginning, I have a feeling everyone would be drooling over themselves right now. Why is Rancor all the sudden not worthy of the bust treatment?

Luke does look a bit awkward from this angle but maybe we can wait and see more pics before resorting to the torches and pitchforks just yet.

I'm pretty sure Luke looked just as awkward on film.

Was this the best treatment though, I have my doubts

I don't blame the sculptor but the art direction here. Wow! Just WOW!!!!

This sucks so bad mostly because of what it could have been.

Sideshow: take this back to the drawing board. How the hell did this get approved?????

I'm just curious, but what exactly would you change about the design of this bust? I personally think it's a pretty killer composition. :eek:

What really throws me with the "diorama" title is that this piece in no way looks like a diorama. To me, diorama's include environmental elements, this is just a bust with an arm holding someone, it's more an LSB than a dio. A dio should have elements of the cave or door or something. Even Padme vs Nexu, the column she's on adds evironment and context to the figures, these two just are.

I think a lot of people were expecting a traditional concept of a diorama and are really thrown off by this because it's not.

I'm just curious, but what exactly would you change about the design of this bust? I personally think it's a pretty killer composition. :eek:

Andy, which part did you work on, the Rancor or Luke or both?

P.S. Good to see you back on Sideshow products, that I collect at least, I think you've done something Marvel since you came back.

As a bust, it's fine, I think. People were just thrown by the nomenclature.

Exactly, I find I'm very shaken up by it not being the type of product I anticipated, I was expecting a diorama and this is so different from what I'd expect by that word, I'm not taking it as is right now, I'm a little focused on what it turned out not to be.

Back