R.I.P Spooktacular-pay respect

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started here with spook in '06. I don't post that much, as I don't tend to have much to say. But I always looked forward to October, and I would kinda come out of my shell to participate in spook. You will be missed.

Roses are red, violets are blue! Please, no more sniveling outta you!

todays fortune

You young kids today... I remember the very first spook... and we had to dial up chat... 3 miles in the snow... in both directions! And sleep truly was for the weak... free banners popping up at random all day long... chat giveaways on a moments notice... searching the entire site for hidden freebies... it was hard I tell ya! Hard! Now you have a shiny, slick Spook... no chat... no kit... spread over all tar-nation... you'll get ya freebies, but you'll pay... trust me, you'll pay... :lecture

they say that you never miss something until it's gone..........

well i can say that i will never miss that damn floating Michael Jackson link.........:lecture

This thread is funny.... I sure remember the good old days when there was excitement to this. I guess we will see the same for Black & White Friday and Christmas (12 days of Sideshow) event which will probably die down to nothing sooner then later.... The biggest miss for me are the live chats. I guess when I company grows too big, something has to give....and this is one of them.

Having been one of the "original" Spookateers back in 2004, my sense of loss for this event is huge. Never mind the lack of freebies and bargain prices - for me, that aspect was the least of its charms. It was Spook that got me out of mostly lurking; it was Spook that made me interact with other members on this board during all-night chats and with whom I made strong friendships with; it was Spook that gave me the courage to fly to SDCC the next year on the spur of the moment, by myself, to meet up with these friends and Sideshow folks to continue strengthening our bonds in person.

I suppose every company outgrows their roots in some way. I understand their gradual absence away from our boards through the years, but nipping down this event to its current permutation is heartbreaking. Might as well not even have the event.

Bye Spook -- was great knowing ya. :monkey2

So I have Spook to thank as well for allowing us to meet! Very nice story Rumi, and I feel a very similar sentiment. Have met the most wonderful people because of these events and Dave's board...

Spook drove me away from other boardies as the greed and anxiety increased over the course of the event. And all the time I wasted trying to get the big prize at the end, even though I had no chance of ever actually winning it. Good riddance. . .except for that magical floating Michael Jackson link. You will be missed, great dancing MJ link :(

I remember my first spook I got a ton of free LOTR helms and Buffy figures... Second spook I finally landed the London After Midnight PF at 50% off (or was it 75%?). Then the spook after that I won free zombies. After that spooks sort of got boring as the tourists flooded in, clogged chat, and made a general nuissance.

Toe is right. This thread is about 3-5 years too late.

My first taste of Sideshow was Spooktacular 2005. In those six days of insanity, I learned so much about Sideshow, how much attention and love goes into each and every product they produce, I learned about their devoted fans and became one myself. Oh yeah, I ordered some product too.

Ever since that first taste, Spooktacular has become an ingrained portion of my Halloween celebration. Something I look forward to every year. Friends would ask "What is this thing you're so obsessed about? Is it a sale?" and I'd laugh "You poor fool, Spooktacular isn't a sale!" Spooktacular is so much more than a sale, it's a celebration, an online convention, it's something so unique that it really can't be described, it must be experienced.

This year, it seems I can answer "Yes, it's a sale."

It seems a bit unfair to call this year the death of Spooktacular this early in the event, but it really seems that way, and Sideshow has given no indication to make us think otherwise. So far, we've seen sales, and we've seen enter-your-name type contests, and we're promised some new product announcements later.

There's no creative contests (except the pumpkin carving one), there's no mocking (in good fun, of course) staff cackling at our frustration, there's no peak behind the curtain, there's no interaction with the artists, there's no need to explore Sideshow's catalog, there's no... Spooktacular.

Of course, there's plenty of time for that to change, but with no chat, and no interaction with Sideshow here or anywhere else, it's not looking likely.

For me, Spooktacular was the soul of Sideshow. And if Spooktacular is indeed gone, then that kinda speaks to the current state of Sideshow Collectibles.

My first taste of Sideshow was Spooktacular 2005. In those six days of insanity, I learned so much about Sideshow, how much attention and love goes into each and every product they produce, I learned about their devoted fans and became one myself. Oh yeah, I ordered some product too.

Ever since that first taste, Spooktacular has become an ingrained portion of my Halloween celebration. Something I look forward to every year. Friends would ask "What is this thing you're so obsessed about? Is it a sale?" and I'd laugh "You poor fool, Spooktacular isn't a sale!" Spooktacular is so much more than a sale, it's a celebration, an online convention, it's something so unique that it really can't be described, it must be experienced.

This year, it seems I can answer "Yes, it's a sale."

It seems a bit unfair to call this year the death of Spooktacular this early in the event, but it really seems that way, and Sideshow has given no indication to make us think otherwise. So far, we've seen sales, and we've seen enter-your-name type contests, and we're promised some new product announcements later.

There's no creative contests (except the pumpkin carving one), there's no mocking (in good fun, of course) staff cackling at our frustration, there's no peak behind the curtain, there's no interaction with the artists, there's no need to explore Sideshow's catalog, there's no... Spooktacular.

Of course, there's plenty of time for that to change, but with no chat, and no interaction with Sideshow here or anywhere else, it's not looking likely.

For me, Spooktacular was the soul of Sideshow. And if Spooktacular is indeed gone, then that kinda speaks to the current state of Sideshow Collectibles.

This is my first and yes you are right this is basically a sale I was looking forward to something really cool

Back