Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on Facebook mentioned that Asmus have 3D scans of all the cast taken at the time of filming the movies- Is that true?

Someone also on FB seemed to hint that they either seen a digital render or the actual prototype of Aragorn and it must have looked pretty good. They posted about it being changed. I wonder if this is the original Gandalf all over again.

Someone also on FB seemed to hint that they either seen a digital render or the actual prototype of Aragorn and it must have looked pretty good. They posted about it being changed. I wonder if this is the original Gandalf all over again.
It was ToyBiz who had the digital scans for the original figure line back in the day. Not sure if Asmus have acquired them but it would have been awesome if they had. Also there was a digital render of Aragorn in one of the various threads and it was awesome.

*edit* found the sculpt.

The hairline looks so much better on this version too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
0992121ad711feb76d674e261cc621dd.jpg
2d6a8ae3c78fd2874305bc85b8a71770.jpg
a1d14008bffa8d0e9cd97d1021aa3b9f.jpg

Yeah ToyBiz basically pioneered that way of sculpting back in the day. They had scans of nearly the full cast. Which is weird that they ended up with a good number of duds in likeness (Mirkwood Legolas comes to mind, but their original FOTR Legolas is tremendous). Nevertheless, I'm surprised we don't hear about or see that tech more often now.

I wonder how Asmus could procure those scans, seeing as ToyBiz is long defunct. I wonder if Weta perhaps has them too? But I think they sculpt by hand digitally? I'd have to imagine that Weta probably has almost every actor scanned on file for CGI doubles during filming too.

All that to be said, there's something to an artist sculpted head. Hot Toys are fixated on hand sculpting, as are the other big players. It's a sort of status thing, I would seem to think.

Yeah ToyBiz basically pioneered that way of sculpting back in the day. They had scans of nearly the full cast. Which is weird that they ended up with a good number of duds in likeness (Mirkwood Legolas comes to mind, but their original FOTR Legolas is tremendous). Nevertheless, I'm surprised we don't hear about or see that tech more often now.

I wonder how Asmus could procure those scans, seeing as ToyBiz is long defunct. I wonder if Weta perhaps has them too? But I think they sculpt by hand digitally? I'd have to imagine that Weta probably has almost every actor scanned on file for CGI doubles during filming too.

All that to be said, there's something to an artist sculpted head. Hot Toys are fixated on hand sculpting, as are the other big players. It's a sort of status thing, I would seem to think.

I know WETA had digital doubles for the Hobbit films, it is in the companion books. While I respect hand-sculpting - at the end of the day, for something that will be on display for a long time, I don't care how a good 1/6 sculpt turns out. There's always some kind of work along the way to make sure production goes right. Even the finest likeness can be ruined during production/paint.

Look at the Frodo eye thing - and EVERYONE except maybe some distant Pacific islanders who isolate from the world knows Frodo has those big brilliant blue eyes in the film.:slap

It was ToyBiz who had the digital scans for the original figure line back in the day. Not sure if Asmus have acquired them but it would have been awesome if they had. Also there was a digital render of Aragorn in one of the various threads and it was awesome.

*edit* found the sculpt.

The hairline looks so much better on this version too.

0992121ad711feb76d674e261cc621dd.jpg
2d6a8ae3c78fd2874305bc85b8a71770.jpg
a1d14008bffa8d0e9cd97d1021aa3b9f.jpg

Damn was this for them or someone else's work? This looks pretty good compared with what we got.

Damn was this for them or someone else's work? This looks pretty good compared with what we got.
I believe this was the first draft for the new figure but they went for the 'determined' face instead. I really hope they use this for a new figure though!

Once the Uruk-Hai body has been developed is there any possibility it could be repurposed for example to make a 1/6 scale Azog? Thorin needs his greatest adversary.

I don't think proportions would be right. The Uruk Hai was a real dude in costume and azog was a cartoony cgi thing.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I don't think proportions would be right. The Uruk Hai was a real dude in costume and azog was a cartoony cgi thing.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Azog was still based on Manu Bennett though so the proportions should be close to his size and stature.

Even if Azog is supposed to be larger (I think he's supposed to be around 8+ feet tall?), I would 100% be fine with them scaling him down a bit so they could reuse or modify parts that they could also use for Uruks. I'm not sure we will ever get an Azog otherwise, since the relatively poor sales of Hobbit characters have made them reluctant to go back to those movies for figures.

I really want an Azog and would love a Bolg, too. But if they have to go to the cost of engineering a whole new unique body for them, it's probably a lot less likely to happen.

I really want an Azog and would love a Bolg, too. But if they have to go to the cost of engineering a whole new unique body for them, it's probably a lot less likely to happen.

Yup and I'm happy with that compromise even if the scale is a bit off just so we can get the main antagonists on the shelf. Reality is he's still gonna tower over Thorin even at Uruk stature.

I think a Battle of the Five Armies Azog would be the best option since he's armored so they won't need to worry about detailing his torso given it'll be covered up. Just different color and accessories for the arms and legs and obviously a new head sculpt.

Speaking of scale I believe Lawrence Makoare was cast as Bolg and as you'll see whilst he's clearly a lot taller than Legolas obviously he's not 8 feet tall.

Bolg is meant to be about the same height as Azog too, at least that's how they're depicted meeting at Dol Guldur. So as far as scale goes I'm comfortable with the idea that Bolg and Azog should be about 6'4"-6'6" rather than 8 feet.

tumblr_inline_n0ihh1BaOA1rkdfk3.gif

Maybe the compromise should be to create a regular Uruk body and an upsized one given at least Lurtz has to be taller. It would just look odd if he was the same height as his subordinates.

Basing an upsized Uruk body on Lawrence Makoare makes the most sense since they could use it for Lurtz, Gothmog, Bolg and potentially Uruk Berserkers and Azog.

TE The Tank body might be a good base body for Bolg/Azog. Just give it a little less bulk and it would be perfect

aa8b0cbc710bddf99e0ccbc3f26e2f27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's get through the LOTR practical Orcs before we move to the CGI...creations of the Hobbit. There's a lot more reuse opportunity in the LOTR parts anyway, so naturally it's the better place to start investing.

Back