Statue Question: Repainting black trim around a base?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8Falcon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried repainting black trim around one of their premium format statues or maquettes? I have the Predator maquette which has a few scratches around the black trim of the base (the way I got it). I want to try and clean this up with a simple repaint but not sure what type of paint to use in order to have the same finish. I don't want flat but not glossy either. My own research has brought me to Krylon flat black spray paint followed up with a coat of clear matte finish but I've heard somewhere that I should steer clear of the Krylon matte 1311 product. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would try to get a single black with the right shine so you don't have to clear it. There are various semi-gloss and satins out there.

I'd mask the top of the base and name plate section then spray the whole outer rim in a matte black (after giving the scratches a light sand to make them smooth). If you don't have an airbrush a quality brand aerosol would be fine. Test it on something similar size and shape first and see if you're happy with the colour / gloss level and practice smooth application with a less is more approach. Looking at my maquette the base might not be a perfect match to matte black it could be slightly glossier. It's tough to say...
I've resprayed black bases this way before and had no issue with match of colour / matte finish with black aerosols, even doing small sections that blend in perfectly with existing factory paint jobs. Black is pretty easy to match it's the gloss / matte finish that is a pain. You might be able to get away with just spraying the section you need to do at the back if the matte finish matches out of the can / bottle. If you can make a nice clean mask of the recessed name plate section and get a really close match the paint won't be obviously different and the rest of the rim will have the same finish and look sweet.
Cheers

Thanks guys. Yeah, for me the most difficult thing has been deciding on a proper finish. I do plan to repaint the entire trim while masking the top and nameplate areas though so I guess at the very least it will still be a uniform colour and gloss level even if it doesn't quite match the original factory paint job.

Back