Question about Sideshow Star Wars figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackWidow89

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am wanting to start my Star Wars collection and saw that Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi 12" Sideshow figures from the prequels on ebay for cheap. So my question is, how well are these holding up since they were released years ago and is it worth getting them? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Imo it's worth it if it's really cheap. I don't see hot toys making any prequel figures anytime soon, as they haven't finished their ANH line (but I could be wrong as the ROTJ boba fett and 1/4 ROTS Vader are exceptions) and are just starting with their episode 7 line. Today's figures and standards today have increased in quality since those were released, but those are still the best licensed versions you can get for the characters today. Hope this helps!

I know your desire to own them but once you do you will thirst to own the current HT line. And when you own the HT you will start to sell your SS as they will look inferior in your collection. I know this as I have been there. I have sold all my SS SW Prequel figures. I only have one in my display now ROTS Obi Wan. For some reason I cannot part with that one. I think when I first got into these it was the Jedi robe and layers of cloth that amazed me. Stick and buy one ROTS Obi Wan and be amazed. Buy many and that amazement goes away!!

I have owned nearly every Sideshow OT figure. I sold them all off the minute Hot Toys dropped the bomb that they had the license. Sideshow makes great Creatures/Droids, but when it comes to accuracy and better quality in designs and outfitting, Hot Toys wins. Snag a Hot Toys figure, I promise you win't regret it.

I've owned quite a few Hot Toys figures and only one Sideshow figure. The body on the Sideshow figure was so poor that it could barely hold a pose due to loose joints. It also didn't look like it should have cost $200. My advice would be to wait for the Hot Toys line.

Hey everyone,
I am wanting to start my Star Wars collection and saw that Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi 12" Sideshow figures from the prequels on ebay for cheap. So my question is, how well are these holding up since they were released years ago and is it worth getting them? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

They will both take loads of work to fit in with the rest of your collection.... Custom paints and new bodies.

Thanks for the advice everyone! My only concern is HT may not do the prequel characters. Is there hope that HT Han and Chewy will be cheaper during spooktaular?

Thanks for the advice everyone! My only concern is HT may not do the prequel characters. Is there hope that HT Han and Chewy will be cheaper during spooktaular?

Hard to say. The two pack already shows as waitlisted and the exclusive Han is gone. My guess is that these are selling well enough that they'll use Spook to clear out some items that have been around longer and whose sales have stalled.

The other issue not yet mentioned is that Anakins tabbards fall apart. The cheap pleather used cracks and flakes off making it look horrible. So that will also need replacing. Like others have said, with some TLC they can be made to look good

Mate I've done what others have done. Selling off Sideshow in favor of Hot Toys. Their is no comparing the two. IMO Hot Toys have better paint apps than the earlier sideshow stuff. And looking at ANH figures from sideshow compared to Hot Toys the SS ones look like toy dolls!

I really like SS and have all the releases from the beginning, but for someone starting out, I wouldn't pick that as my jumping off point, or in this case, the jumping in point, unless you just HAVE TO HAVE those characters. I'll say this, my Anakin has a custom head and Obi wan a custom paint job. All of which cost about the same as what I paid for the entire figure.

I have Qui gon, Mace And Ep2 Obi Wan. These are displayed and i love them. Maul is good but would consider the newer version coming out. Had Anakin but wasnt happy with it.
HT and SS are reviving these types of characters, but they are not affordable to many collectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Thank you all for the advice. I guess I will wait and see if HT will do the prequel characters and I will definitely get the OT characters from HT. Another question...should I get Sideshow R2-D2 and C-3P0 or hope that HT will do them?

I have Qui gon, Mace And Ep2 Obi Wan. These are displayed and i love them. Maul is good but would consider the newer version coming out. Had Anakin but wasnt happy with it.
HT and SS are reviving these types of characters, but they are not affordable to many collectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything about Mace is excellent except his head sculpt!

Back