Question about Rubie's helmets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHD2

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hia, haven't had the time to really post on here lately but after going to Wondercon this last weekend I got the itch to get back into this fourm.

Anyways, I've been searching for a nice, Phase 1 clone helmet and saw the Rubies ones being offered on eBay. Now I'm far from being made of money, but I would like a nice, wearable helmet that also looks nice. From the pictures they aren't bad and you can get them for under $50 shipped. My plan is to get it and make it into a Rex helmet with a few mods, which also brings me to question of what kind of "hardness" are these? It says vinly, but is it the soft kind the Hasbro 1/6th ones are made of or a more ridged PVC type. I think I remember seeing the Stormtrooper one being offered at Halloween time, and it looked off to me but I can't remember what it felt like materials wise.

Thanks for any help and if anyone can point me towards another brand or better version even for some ideas, that would be very helpful. I have seen a "kit" being offered, but again I dont know much about any of them.

Thanks again!

When I hear about Rubies, I always think of sub-par quality alas. The guys on RPF have made various reviews of the Rubies Stormtrooper armor and helmets and they are not favorable at all. Not sure how the Clone helmet is but I wouldn't have high hopes. You might better get a fan made helmet, maybe a bit more expensive but higher quality.

The Phase 1 clone is okay at best. It's on the smaller side and is a PVC vinyl. Not as soft as the hasbro but it isn't as rigid as fiberglass. A Master replicas version would likely make you happier. I do think Don Post made a fiberglass version that wasn't bad, I think it was actually quite nice if I'm remembering correctly. Not cheap though.

I used to have the PHase1 and I got rid of it because it looked cheap. I think it was kinda soft like you could squish it if you tried. Also it seems like the area around the neck was not cut evenly on the one I had. My advice is not to by a rubies helmet unless you have seen it in person. The marketing pictures they seem to have are not what they really look like!

rubies is shiiite bro....ive had 3 helmets from them; d. vader, tie fighter and lukes' x wing helmet. all are crap. seriously, if you want a nice phase one...go with EFX. its a good choice and not TOO expensive. besides, if you're going to put custom work on the helmet, better to get one that's of high quality or else your gonna spend your time and money on something that just isn't authentic.

couldn't find one on ebay but here's 12 (lol) on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Episode-Clon...6D8G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302144166&sr=8-3

:monkey4

I used to have a Darth Vader movie scale supposedly, Its one they have at Hastings for for $99.00. I got it at FYE for $10, I ended up selling him when I started buying Hot Toys stuff. It was cool but I wouldn't say awesome. The MR clone ones were awesome. Some guy recently had a 501st clone one on ebay for $455 and it sold pretty quick. I wish I would have had the cash.

Yes. I agree. Rubies equals crap! It's more like a toy for kids not a replica helmet for collectors or costumers. I got duped into buying one a few years back for $40.00 and regret it ever since. It's too wide, the lens is barely tinted and you can see through the plastic. All in all, horrible. I thought I could cut it down and modify it but it will be too much work. Your much better off with an eFX or reputable fan made helmet. Trust me it's well worth the money.

The only other cheaper alternative is, what a lot of guys are doing now, make it out of paper. A Pepakura file on fileshare will give you the peices. All you have to do is glue them together and reinforce it with fiberglass resin or plastic. Look up some of the amazing work these guys are doing on YouTube. I'm making several right now. They take time but are really co and accurate.

Back