Question about production proofs and production numbers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOZEclone88

Freaked Out
Reaction score
First Post! wahoo

hey guys I'm new to collecting and had two quick questions. I tried using the search function to find my answer to no avail...so sorry if this is just some pathetic question that has been answered many times...

anyway.

1. What is a production proof? I am trying to get a AH! exclusive comiquette and the seller I'm dealing with is offering a production proof...Is this bad or good? Is it more desirable for me to have a production proof over an actual numbered model? Some info on this would be appreciated. What does the bottom of the figure say on a production proof?

2. What is the value of a low production number? If there some magic number where the value rises? Like under a 100 or something? Under 20? Also in the real market does a low production number translate into more value consistently?

Thanks.

First Post! wahoo

hey guys I'm new to collecting and had two quick questions. I tried using the search function to find my answer to no avail...so sorry if this is just some pathetic question that has been answered many times...

anyway.

1. What is a production proof? I am trying to get a AH! exclusive comiquette and the seller I'm dealing with is offering a production proof...Is this bad or good? Is it more desirable for me to have a production proof over an actual numbered model? Some info on this would be appreciated. What does the bottom of the figure say on a production proof?

2. What is the value of a low production number? If there some magic number where the value rises? Like under a 100 or something? Under 20? Also in the real market does a low production number translate into more value consistently?

Thanks.

productiono proof, artist proof, unnumbered sample, etc. etc. all mean the same thing to me.

NOTHING since imo all they basically stand for is that they aren't part of the numbered ES. some maybe preproduction pieces such as Marvel Samples (which i've got a few of), some maybe special edition pieces made say for celebrities etc. but in the end they're all the same piece though to some they maybe worth more:dunno just depends on the collector i guess.

as for low numbered pieces, i don't think many collectors care. unless it's #1 or the last number in the ES i wouldn't put anymore value in the piece. it's not like #1 was actually the first one made, the labels and numbers are placed on the statues at the end of production anyways.

EDIT: oh yeah welcome to the board man, hope you get lots good info from here. just be careful and have some thick skin, as some can be dicks on here.:monkey3

productiono proof, artist proof, unnumbered sample, etc. etc. all mean the same thing to me.

NOTHING since imo all they basically stand for is that they aren't part of the numbered ES. some maybe preproduction pieces such as Marvel Samples (which i've got a few of), some maybe special edition pieces made say for celebrities etc. but in the end they're all the same piece though to some they maybe worth more:dunno just depends on the collector i guess.

as for low numbered pieces, i don't think many collectors care. unless it's #1 or the last number in the ES i wouldn't put anymore value in the piece. it's not like #1 was actually the first one made, the labels and numbers are placed on the statues at the end of production anyways.

EDIT: oh yeah welcome to the board man, hope you get lots good info from here. just be careful and have some thick skin, as some can be dicks on here.:monkey3

alright thanks. So the production proof is not in anyway "lesser" than the actual production models though...am I right? The guy I'm buying from is selling this piece at around the same cost as other exclusive AH comiquettes in the same line...so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off.

alright thanks. So the production proof is not in anyway "lesser" than the actual production models though...am I right? The guy I'm buying from is selling this piece at around the same cost as other exclusive AH comiquettes in the same line...so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off.

not that i'm aware of, if anything the piece most likely had the same quality artist doing the painting anyways, but who knows it just depends on the painter as with every other piece that comes from overseas.

which piece is it? just wondering as some pieces are known for some paint flaws such as googly eyes etc.

not that i'm aware of, if anything the piece most likely had the same quality artist doing the painting anyways, but who knows it just depends on the painter as with every other piece that comes from overseas.

which piece is it? just wondering as some pieces are known for some paint flaws such as googly eyes etc.

*sigh*...it is in fact the she hulk comiquette...which I've heard has had some issues with the eyes...

*sigh*...it is in fact the she hulk comiquette...which I've heard has had some issues with the eyes...

yeah that's one of them, mine is slightly googled but not that bad imo.
as for She-Hulk i certainly wouldn't be paying anything above the going rate on ebay for her, as she's pretty new and not appreciated as of yet.

oh yeah is it the Ex. version or Reg? personally i only go for Ex's but it's up to the collector of course.

yeah that's one of them, mine is slightly googled but not that bad imo.
as for She-Hulk i certainly wouldn't be paying anything above the going rate on ebay for her, as she's pretty new and not appreciated as of yet.

oh yeah is it the Ex. version or Reg? personally i only go for Ex's but it's up to the collector of course.

It is in fact the exclusive version. I only own a handful of figures but they are all exclusive so far.(AH! Rogue & Gambit) I am going to be paying around $180 for the she-hulk ex...which may be a little high but I am just tired of fishing for bargains. Hopefully it won't have any eyes issues`

It is in fact the exclusive version. I only own a handful of figures but they are all exclusive so far.(AH! Rogue & Gambit) I am going to be paying around $180 for the she-hulk ex...which may be a little high but I am just tired of fishing for bargains. Hopefully it won't have any eyes issues`

yep, that sounds good get it and hope for the best.
i'm the same way, after awhile i just get sick of looking for something and just buy it. so far i've never regretted it.

I have a question TBD.What is with all the TBD runs.I only collect PF EX figures.It seems to have started beginning of 2011 and now this year also.Rogue,Baroness,Black Widow,Vampirella,The Joker,SuckerPunch to name a few.
It was always fun to get the Newsletter when a new PF EX came out and get right on the site that moment to place my order.Now it just doesn't matter.Weeks later you can still get an EX.It's no fun at all.
I don't need an answer if it's just a matter of SSC just covering their Butt.But they have taken all the "WOW" how "Cool" out of it.

I have a question TBD.What is with all the TBD runs.I only collect PF EX figures.It seems to have started beginning of 2011 and now this year also.Rogue,Baroness,Black Widow,Vampirella,The Joker,SuckerPunch to name a few.
It was always fun to get the Newsletter when a new PF EX came out and get right on the site that moment to place my order.Now it just doesn't matter.Weeks later you can still get an EX.It's no fun at all.
I don't need an answer if it's just a matter of SSC just covering their Butt.But they have taken all the "WOW" how "Cool" out of it.

If an ES or the fact that a certain collectable may still be available in the days/weeks after the PO takes the 'WOW' and 'cool' factor out of collecting, then you are (imo) collecting for the wrong reasons.
If you are buying only to get the fun factor and the thrill of the chase ONLY when ordering, like the PO's used to be, then that is another example of buying for the wrong reasons.

If buying these things in the first place you should already think they are cool and fun to look because of the Art they are, not because of the experience you go through when buying them.

Collect what you like, what you enjoy looking at and admire in your collection. If you have that, then it's all you should need to have a 'Cool' collection.
x :peace

Last edited:
If an ES or the fact that a certain collectable may still be available in the days/weeks after the PO takes the 'WOW' and 'cool' factor out of collecting, then you are (imo) collecting for the wrong reasons.
If you are buying only to get the fun factor and the thrill of the chase ONLY when ordering, like the PO's used to be, then that is another example of buying for the wrong reasons.

If buying these things in the first place you should already think they are cool and fun to look because of the Art they are, not because of the experience you go through when buying them.

Collect what you like, what you enjoy looking at and admire in your collection. If you have that, then it's all you should need to have a 'Cool' collection.
x :peace

I see your point..but then again that does not answer my question of What is up with all the To Be Decided runs.

Now to respond to what you had to say.My cool collection started with a 1957 Fender Stratocaster in 1969.Which I still have and play.My collection is small compared to a couple of my friends.I started collecting Guitars in the 60's.Original Comic Book and Fantasy Artwork in the late 70's which cover the walls of both bedrooms in my home.I still attend San Diego Comic-Con each year as well as Wonder-Con and the APE conventions in SF.In 1986 my Dads collection of Original Movie Posters was left to me and I have traded and added to that collection since.The other 75% of the walls in my home are covered with those Framed Movie Posters.In 1998 I started collection Anime Figures and I would say I have around 160 Figures on display.It was only when I noticed the HULK PF figure on display at a Booth at SDCC which was my first PF purchase that I started collection SS PF Figures..so I have only been collecting for a few years.
I only collect what I can display.Nothing saved in original packaging or in box's in a closet.

I think I have enough passion and love for this Art.And the experience and excitement of finding something Limited only adds to it.It is Fun.

Back