Queation about sealing paint on headsculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Question about sealing paint on headsculpts

What's the best sealer to use when sealing paint on finished painted head sculpts? Is testors dull coat good? I'm looking for something that doesn't look shiny or glossy or that will not eventually turn yellow. I appreciate any help!

Also is it better to totally strip a head sculpt or paint over the original factory paint??

Last edited:
I haven't had great results myself with Testors Dullcote, but I totally stand by some other brand by Testors: Model Master/ Lacquer Overcoat/ Lusterless (Flat). It dries completely flat with no tack.

I would think its better to strip away the factory paint off first, sometimes it hides some of the nice little details in the sculpt. But it seems like a pain the @ss, so I usually just spray primer and paint over it.

Im curious, what kind of problems have you had? I use it and it works great. It doesnt change the colors of the paint at all, and I find that it protect the paint well enough. I havent tried the ones you mentioned but I will certainly try them out.

When I tried Testors Dullcote, it wouldn't seem to dry completely and would still be kinda tacky after a few days. It also leaves a sheen or semi-gloss finish.

I love the Model Master stuff. I tried it after I saw David Fisher on his Modelmania dvd seal his work after every step of airbrushing or pastels with it. It dries completely matte, so when you're done you can then add some gloss to the eyes or semi-gloss to the lips, parts of the face or whatever!

When I tried Testors Dullcote, it wouldn't seem to dry completely and would still be kinda tacky after a few days. It also leaves a sheen or semi-gloss finish.

I love the Model Master stuff. I tried it after I saw David Fisher on his Modelmania dvd seal his work after every step of airbrushing or pastels with it. It dries completely matte, so when you're done you can then add some gloss to the eyes or semi-gloss to the lips, parts of the face or whatever!

It sound great, I got to try it out. Now as for the Dulcote, it has to do with the closeness of the spray and not shaking it enough. If you are too close it will leave a shiny coat, I dont know why it does that. But if you spray at half arms lenght, it will leave a matte finish. Like I said, Ive used it so far with no problem. But whatever works for you best. BTW, where can I get the master model one? I would like to try it out. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I tend not to seal my paint jobs, they are used with good qual acrylics and dont tend to fade or come off unless placed under water and scrubbed rigorously with a toothbrush... So ur jobs should be ok unless they are outdoors or under high pressure play!

b
It sound great, I got to try it out. Now as for the Dulcote, it has to do with the closeness of the spray and not shaking it enough. If you are too close it will leave a shiny coat, I dont know why it does that. But if you spray at half arms lenght, it will leave a matte finish. Like I said, Ive used it so far with no problem. But whatever works for you best. BTW, where can I get the master model one? I would like to try it out. Thanks in advance.

Hey 1000, I got mine at Hobby People and Hobbytown..
Thanks for the tips on the Dulcote, i'll try that out too.

b

Hey 1000, I got mine at Hobby People and Hobbytown..
Thanks for the tips on the Dulcote, i'll try that out too.

Hey I noticed you are from CA also, where are you from? Wanted to know where Hobbytown and Hobby People are.
Also, on the Dulcote, I found that the tackiness comes from certain paints that cant be sprayed with Dulcote. I went to my local Michaels and picked up some Delta Ceramcoats paint since they had the colors I needed. Well, I noticed a slight tacky feel to it when I sprayed Dulcote over those paints. I never had any problem with apple barrel. (Since I just started painting, I went with the cheap stuff :D).

Hey I noticed you are from CA also, where are you from? Wanted to know where Hobbytown and Hobby People are.
Also, on the Dulcote, I found that the tackiness comes from certain paints that cant be sprayed with Dulcote. I went to my local Michaels and picked up some Delta Ceramcoats paint since they had the colors I needed. Well, I noticed a slight tacky feel to it when I sprayed Dulcote over those paints. I never had any problem with apple barrel. (Since I just started painting, I went with the cheap stuff :D).

Yeah, I live in the crappy I.E.! City of Loma Linda in San Bernardino County.:joy
The Hobby People and Hobbytown are in nearby Redlands.
I'm practicing on a SSC Roger Moore before I get to my SW ones. Still not sure if I should stick with Liquitex paints. It's ok for airbrushing, but for painting details like eyes... I don't know.

Good luck with your repaint!

I spray my heads with a gloss varnish designed for wood furniture, then when fully hard I go over with Testors Dullcote. Once that's dried (very quick) I drop a gloss bead onto each pupil with a tiny brush and acrylic gloss varnish from a jar, then once thats dry go over the rest of the eyeball and a thin line between the lips.

Back