Quarter scale vs. sixth scale... thoughts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect both scales, but it's easier for me to do as I only go after a handful of characters which allows me some display leeway in placing them side by side. for instance, I have my Batman items all lined up in one area of the room with 1/4 scales on one shelf, 1/6 scale on the next, and then the final shelf has Play Arts Kai and Mezco 1/12 versions of Batman and associated characters. Another area has Spider-man, another Superman, then Captain America, and finally Hulk and Wolverine (and soon Flash and Daredevil) share a space with random characters I grabbed one or two of as there's not enough of each from individual lines to justify them having their own sections. That admittedly only works for me because I zero in on trying to get all version displays going of around six to seven characters and over half of them don't get figures in multiple scales.

Having 100 1/4 scale figures would look too over the top compared to 100 1/6 figures imo. The last thing you want is a collection that just looks like a comic store.

I used to be a completist too with 1/6 figures (probably because the lack of 1/4 supply), but I flew-to-quality (1/4) and my collection looks more clean and impressive, I think that was part of the learning curve and evolution as collector, I only keep my iron man 1/6 figures as a whole collection and part of a big diorama

Having 100 1/4 scale figures would look too over the top compared to 100 1/6 figures imo. The last thing you want is a collection that just looks like a comic store.

collecting 1/4 figures force to you only buy figures that you really like, not figures just for completist or figures you will sell in the future

I've sold all my non-HPP 1/6 Iron Man in preparation for more Hot Toys 1/4 models. I don't want them all, but the ones I do I want in the glorious detail of 1/4. The 43 that I have already is just beyond compare, the 1/6 looked like nothing but a toy in comparison.

I'll get my showpiece, keystone armors- and for me it would be Mk 3, Mk4 or 6, Mk7, Mk42, and Mk43. I'm keeping the 1/6 HPP because I love those, I could see going 1/9 for them but the price is too high for the scale at least with King Arts line (~$200), meanwhile the HT diecast 1/6 scale trend are too much for 1/6 (~$350). Hopefully they keep plastic on the HPP and keep a $250 or lower price point, that's reasonable, and for the straight out of the film quality of 1/4 that is worth ~$500 for a certain few showpieces. Plus with a max of 5 figures I could even justify the cost of wiring up the lighting with a soap reactor, which ain't gonna happen on 13+ 1/6 figures.

I now have more quarter scale figures than 1/6 (some statues, some articulated NECAs, Enterbays, and Hot Toys), but I really enjoy the practicality of 1/6 in both space and price (though 1/6 Iron Men are getting as expensive as some 1/4 statues I got just last year). The availability of replacement and upgrade parts be it original (from parted-out sets) to third party accessories/clothing for 1/6 is a real joy. It's frustrating to have a fantastic 1/4 scale head of Bale and RDJ while not having readily-available 1/4 scale base bodies and ready-made suits to bash a quarter-scale Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark. It could be a matter of time before 1/4 accessories, bodies and parts will be just as easy to get as 1/6, but it might be a long time, if it happens at all.

I agree with the notion that 1/4 scale figures are centerpiece items. I knew when I bought my first high-end QS (The Dark Knight from Hot Toys) that I wouldn't be "replacing" any 1/6 figures but rather showcasing my favorite characters in higher detail even if I already had them in 1/6 (which of course I would if they're my favorites).

So far I have 4; The Dark Knight (absolutely perfect figure), Boba Fett (also perfect and different enough from my Sideshow ESB Boba), Battle-Damaged Terminator from Enterbay (glorious masterpiece and different from my 1/6 "clean" T-800 from T-2), and Iron Man mk 43 (beautiful but distractingly overscaled). I would only consider getting 2 or 3 more, such as Superman (BvS), Black Widow (fingers crossed), and Joker if Hot Toys ever gets around to it cause I ain't paying $1500 for an Enterbay one at this point. I guess what I'm trying to say is KEEP THEM ALL!!! End Rant.

I just started collecting and I'm pretty conflicted on the matter as well. I already have Four 1/6 scale figures with one more on the way, but the 1/4 Iron Man suits and Kylo Ren look so enticing to me. I think it really comes down to how much space you have. Where I'm living right now doesn't give me a huge amount of space so maybe one or two 1/4 figures and the rest 1/6.

tank.jpg

This is kind of how I see my QS Mk43 sided by sixth scale counterparts III and VI when VI(dc) is finally available. Well... really, it won't look at all like this, but it's sort of the vision I'm going for, for my Iron Man display... 3 key suits from 3 key parts of Iron Man's progression through the MCU..

I am debating the same as well. My first 1/6 was catwoman, Batman Armory, Tumbler, Batpod, then Stormtrooper and Darth Vader. I thought I could stop then, but you all know what happens afterwards.

I finished my dark knight line and started the TFA Stormtrooper.....until I realize HT is releasing ALL the Stormtrooper variants, I decided to sold off everything except Catwoman and redirect the fund to QS Batman Boba and IM from HT. There is realism in 1/4 that 1/6 cannot compete.

The plan is QS and the my favorite heroine in 1/6 (I doubt I will see Rey in 1/4).

Oh, if I ever see the falcon cockpit, 1/6 Chewy too.😊😊😊.

1/4 scale is truth. Quality over quantity.

Amen brother.

I see some amazing and expansive 1/6 scale collections but it's because of the huge number of figures along with their smaller size that it actually makes those collections look cluttered to the point where you cannot appreciate the individual figures themselves. They just kind of get lost in a sea of figures. The quarter scale figures however can be appreciated much easier even at a distance. Plus the detail and added posability make it a no brainer for me. No doubt it will never take over 1/6 in terms of market share but for those of you who are drawn to 1/4 scale and are on the fence, my advice is to get on it now because some pieces are getting ridiculously hard to find and their secondary market prices are just stupid. Case in point the Enterbay Joker which was selling for $700 when I first looked but now is easily double that on eBay and getting super hard to find. I've seen it sell for $2K. As 1/4 scale popularity picks up steam I can't even imagine what that will go for at that time.

It's funny t see how many people here think too many 1/6 look a bit cluttered. ^^ Where I come from (anime figure collector) 1/8 is the norm, it's like 1/6 here. There are lots of 1/7 too but the 1/6 are seen as the scale you'd want your fave character in. ^^

That being said, I already own lots of 1/6 so I totally loved the Hot Toys when I got my first. I think it's the perfect size. However, I already have my mind set on getting the new CW Cap and Bucky by Iron Studios (given that they don't mess them up) and they'd be my very first QS. It's kinda scary when you look at the dimensions ... 55cm ... Falcon is 76cm. To me that's kinda too big. I wouldn't even know where to put it. XD Not to mention the price. But I guess when used as centre pieces they really make for a stunning view. Just one of the QS on a sideboard in the living room ... damn! Nice. So yeah, I'm gonna get some QS too in the future I think even though I'll most likely have to sell some of my 1/8 for both space and funds. XD

Back