Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Lt. Sulu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've already said, several times, that they will be aiming for the entire bridge crew. Showed some prototype images that may or may not be used.

Last edited:
Mezco did a great Sulu head. I was all Mezco until SDCC when I saw their lineup was going the way of other past lines, strictly Kirk and Spock variants. Mezco also IMO has too many other irons in the fire if your a true Trek fan with all their other lines. Also my Mexco Spock's foot broke off the same week I got him. So I saw QMX's offering at SDCC and immediately sold off my two Mezcos and bought the QMX pair. Now I am waiting for the preorders and hopefully Sulu will be cleaned up.

I consider Sulu is a domino figure, for most getting him means also getting Chekov, and then after that why not Uhura too?

I think that's true for a lot of people. I know that in my case if they nail the Sulu sculpt then there's no way I'll skip him, which would make it very unlikely that I'd skip Chekov or Uhura (I'd probably even go for Chapel and Rand if they ever went that way, and tried to get some more use out of their female stock body and basic skirt uniform designs). On the other hand, if I'm not satisfied by the final Sulu sculpt thenI imagine that will be that, and I'll call it quits after the big four, once McCoy and Scotty are in hand (both of whom look great so far), and I could still feel pretty satisfied by just those.

So for me Sulu is definitely the tipping point with just how deep I go in with the original series crew figures. I hope he turns out well, because I'd happily be down for the whole crew, but I'm not sold yet, so we'll see...

:exactly::goodpost: I feel the same. If they use the sculpt they've shown, I shall back out too. If they can nail Sulu, I'm in. You're right - Sulu is definitely the make or break for the line. If they can get him right, they can get all of them right. :pray:

They've done well on the outfits, so minimal worries there for them. They just have to get the sculpts right.

Sulu.jpgI think this sculpt only needs a bit of improvement. Widened the mouth, and eyes and narrowed some of the top lip on Marine Boy's effort a tiny bit. Still not quite there though...

In my opinion sulu and especially Scotty are off. I plan to buy them though, I plan to buy all trek.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I want to be proven wrong but there's no money to be made in trek, I'm thinking we will see bones and maybe Picard, but I don't think we will see any more figures after that.

Hopefully Sulu will come as I am working on a helm. I have temporarily demoted Spock as his stand in. I will of course glue and paint this soon. My duty chair is a tad too big in scale as Spock is now knocking the top of the unglued helm off. When will we see some preorders?

20160828_141536.jpg

20160828_141551.jpg

Very cool :clap

3D printed?

I have a little something in the pipeline too - I'll show in the other thread once it's sorted.

Very cool! Hopefully we will get some PO soon. I can't wait for Bones and the rest of the crew, especially Uhura.

Very cool :clap

3D printed?

I have a little something in the pipeline too - I'll show in the other thread once it's sorted.

Yes, I bought a printer last fall to build a TOS bridge in the AA/DST scale which is about 7 inches. Since getting my QMX figures I am working on that scale only. But I am hesitant on pursuing the bridge further until other figures are available. I might move on to the transporter or shuttlecraft instead

Looks really cool, but is there a setting to get rid of the tiny lines that 3D prints often seem to have? Seems like a lot of work to sand it down to get a perfectly smooth finish.

You can set one to fine detail with smaller lines. If it is something I really want to look good l use wood filler to cover the lines like the slices on the helm base I will fill those in

Sybeck1,
How much does something like this cost you to make? Not including the printer you purchased. I ask because I am curious with how much this might cost a company to mass produce and offer to the public. As 3D printers become more accessible and common, I just wonder how much something like this would cost to produce. When I see 1:6 scale bodies, i.e. Hot Toys TRUE TYPE bodies selling for $100+ I wonder what the heck is going on with this hobby. It seems that a lot of the head sculpts are printed nowadays, it's an exciting technology. Great job on your bridge consoles, keep updating.

That's probably 6 or 7 dollars of plastic in the picture with Kirk and Spock. I buy a roll of filament at about 17 or 18 bucks. I print at about 3 percent infill to make it last longer. You can adjust that to save time and materials

Back