QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received Kirk and Spock today. Pretty happy with both. I will say I think in hand Kirk?s sculpt feels somehow off. The likeness is there, but it?s definitely a case where some angles are better than others. Not awful, but not sure if I feel it?s dead on to Shatner. Spock is quite good though. Still happy to have the trio in my collection. Hope I?ll be able to grab Scotty and Sulu at some point.

Yes, I agree about the Kirk likeness, not to mention the bizarrely narrow shoulders and relatively wimpy physique... certainly not an improvement from the first go. Granted, this Kirk is the best likeness to date, but that’s not saying what it ought to be saying.

Maybe switch this Kirk body with McCoy’s! :slap

Actually, I have already done this, but because the shirt is tighter around the arms, Kirk looks like he's been hanging out in the gym. I think the Polaris body is better on him.
eb8e0bd64fe8e687df1201265141530f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WOW, that's a great start Pauln6a! Where did you get that head sculpt and do you have any lined up to make her red uniform?

I got her off a man on Facebook! She is slightly smaller scale compared to the Qmx heads but looks pretty good. I might need to find another body for my Rand as the Xing body looks a bit too petite with her slightly larger head when standing next to Uhura's wider shoulders.

I want a TMP line up so I am willing to put TOS sculpts into TMP uniforms.

Actually, I have already done this, but because the shirt is tighter around the arms, Kirk looks like he's been hanging out 8n the gym. I think the Polaris body us better on him.

Well that answers that question. I actually pondered trying that switch out, but yeah the arms look way too buff with Kirk’s shirt swapped to McCoy’s body.

Not available online, and no store stock within 100 miles of me. Has anyone been able to grab one of these at this price?

I did last week. One my local Game Stops had Sulu and also a captains chair for $38.97. I grabbed both even though I already have the chair. For that price I couldn't pass it up.

The way I got mine was to get a Game Stop card, put money on it, call Game Stop and ordered Sulu, then they shipped my order to me.
- Jim G.G.
Interesting. I may need to try that. So just a gift card and call the customer service number? I was sort of thinking about stopping into my local store and just seeing if they could ship one from another store.

Just got my second KnS set, unwrapped Spock and found him similar to the one 1 got in April 2020, both V2. Will unwrap Kirk later, but I am sure he won't be different, however bad body, unlike head sculpt, but can't find a better action figure of him.

In the meantime I'm trying to build my own 1:6 female Klingon warriors, there are two of them in "Day of the Dove", Mara and an unknown warrior, with slightly different uniforms each.

A selection of classic aliens would be great as a companion display to go with Khan. I always thought Trek missed a trick by not having multi ethnic Klingon or Romulan empires ( Remans notwithstanding since they are never seen serving on Romulan ships) or by not having a recurring rival multi ethnic mercenary group as a sort of unscrupulous version of the Federation crew. They even had a chance to make Nero's crew more interesting following the off camera escape from the Klingon prison and did nothing with it.

Actually, I have already done this, but because the shirt is tighter around the arms, Kirk looks like he's been hanging out in the gym. I think the Polaris body is better on him.

When switching McCoy's body with Kirk's how did you manage to balance the different heights as KIrk is shorter than McCoy?

When switching McCoy's body with Kirk's how did you manage to balance the different heights as KIrk is shorter than McCoy?

It didn't occur to me to do anything about the heights and they aren't horrendously far apart, but you could just add lifts to Kirk if you are troubled by it.

Well, here they are!

IMG_1010.jpg

I didn't have a lot of time to futz and mess around, but first impressions are important, so here we go (pictures will follow shortly).

Overall
In general, I think Scotty is the better/more impactful of the two figures. He just looks better overall, maybe because of the red shirt that really pops and looks fantastic...

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Sculpt
Again, I think Scotty is the better of the two. Although I don't think it's a brilliant sculpt, it does resemble the actor more than Sulu.
In both cases however, I do think the overall shape of the head is wrong. This seems to be third season Scotty, but his face was a lot fuller/rounder by then, especially towards the end of the season (besides, at the beginning he had a funky hair-do). As for Sulu, his face had a very square shape, this sculpt is a lot thinner, which throws the entire likeness off. Detailing on both is nice, Sulu even has a faint trace of Takei's acne scars.

Paint apps
Both look great. Sulu has a nice "blush" to his cheeks and I can even see a bit of the blue eye shadow he wore (well, they all did...), and Scotty's paint apps are nice and clean. On both figures, the hair is the weakest area, which does hurt the overall impression. One thing to note on Sulu is that the smile/smirk really is accentuated by a line of paint. I think a bit of flesh toned paint could erase that and get rid of the smirk. He also has too much eyeliner...

Clothing
In both cases, the clothes look a bit too form-fitting. But that's a problem with all QMX Star Trek figures, so...
Otherwise, the tailoring and materials are great.
Sulu does look a bit funny though... there's something odd about the pants and how they fit on the figure. I think they put extenders on the body (which is stupid, since the figure ended up too tall) and that screwed up the fit of the pants. The insignia and braids looks very nice, although there's a bit of glue residue on Sulu's braids. Boots are simply awesome.

Accessories
Well, these are the standard accessories: phaser, communicator, tri-corder, plus a bunch of hands and the stand. Scotty has the extra fingerless hand, Sulu has no extras. All done to awesome standards.

Body
Both work really well, although Sulu is too tall and Scotty too fit, but it's not terrible. Both are very sturdy and hold poses very well. In fact, Sulu's right elbow was so tight I was afraid of breaking it. Oddly enough, Scotty's neck seems to be a tad too short (like McCoy's) and Sulu's a tad too long... (I know the necks are part of the head sculpts, but they affect the overall look of the body, so I wanted to comment on it here)

Packaging
I don't pay much attention to it, but it's always nice when the packaging is something special. In this case, it isn't. Very serviceable, collector friendly, but pretty ugly and feels a bit cheap.

So that's it.
I'll post pics shortly.

So, let's take a closer look with some extra pics of the rest of the gang to compare to (Kirk and Spock are QMX v1.0, McCoy is on Hot Toys TT clone).

First off, portraits.

Scotty
IMG_1016.jpg
Very nice and clean paint apps, with a nice beard shadow. As I said, hair is the weak spot. And there you see the shape of the face, I think Doohan's face was a lot fuller.

Sulu
IMG_1015.jpg
Forgot to mention, but Sulu has a bit of a paint rub under the chin, but you can't really see it, so I'm not too bothered. The eyebrows should be darker, and there definitely is too much eyeliner, but the slight blush and eye shadow work great. And the shape of the face, just too thin, should be a lot squarer, with strong jaw bones.

Kirk
IMG_1020.jpg
Fantastic sculpt if you ask me. Also, great paint apps. Maybe something slightly off about the chin and lips, but the strongest of all QMX's Star trek line IMHO.

Spock
IMG_1024.jpg
I think this is a great sculpt let down by the paint apps. It's a bit pinched in the head, but otherwise I find it really good.

McCoy
IMG_1022.jpg
I think it came out better in the picture than what it is... It's a bit on the small side, neck's a bit short, and it looks somehow "exaggerated", like it's McCoy bloated and older by ten years... Still, you can tell who it is.

Back