PSP or iPod?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSP or iPod?

• PSP

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • iPod

Votes: 31 58.5%

• Total voters
If you want a MP3 player alone, go with an ipod. No one makes stuff as reliable and cool as apple does. Its like a badge of honor.:joy

See for me one of the reasons I got the IPod was to watch video. If I wanted just an MP3 player I'd have keep my ^^^^ty :)rolleyes: ;) ) old one. :lol

Chicken! hehe

No fun. :(

Nah nothing to fight about. IMO a MP3 player doesn't have to have all these other features to be something worth having. Does it make my IPod nicer than my other MP3 player? Sure as hell does but my other was just fine for what I used it for.

I would decide between the Touch or the PSP. Depending on which size of iPod Touch it would probably still have more memory than the PSP (although that can be upgraded with memory cards), both can play videos, both play music. The iPod has Itunes which is nice. But the PSP has great games, and it would be much cheaper. They both have Wi-Fi, but the iPod has an internet browser (I don't think the PSP has one?). You said you have a PS3 also, so your PSP can work in conjunction with that, I know you can stream stuff between them, including a couple games, (like Lair) and play those games with the PS3 graphics on your PSP. But the iPod Touch has some games also, and it's getting a lot more games. Plus it has a touch screen which is nice.

So really, there's the Touch, which is expensive but has a lot of features you could use, then the PSP which is cheaper and has most of the same features but is a game console and can play some really good games.

But really I would think it depends on price, I wouldn't buy anything less than the 32GB Touch, but that would be pretty expensive. 1 movie is like 700MB-1GB so you might fill up an 8GB pretty quick. And even with my 2,500 songs I've filled up like 12GB on my 30GB 5G Classic.

So for a MP3 player (which is music files) to be of any worth it has to do the other? No, I don't think so.

There you go putting words in peoples mouth yet again. I never said a music only MP3 player was worthless I said it was a ^^^^ty MP3 player. Music only Mp3 players have their place (I guess). In the current generation of MP3 players if it doesn't have features like video capability then yes Josh its a pretty crappy mp3 player. If you want to compare something to an Ipod (which is what you were doing and started this whole debate int he first place) you cant take something designed with less features and say it's not as good. That's not how good comparisons work FYI. Try apples to apples in your comparison as I have done, then give your opinion.

Yeah, you'll pay less. You pay for the name on a lot of this stuff but I haven't had any problems figuring out my IPod or IPhone. If you get confused by the IPOD you might want to stick with those ^^^^ty MP3 players. ;)

You agree with my point but can't resist arguing it is just your way. You pay less and get at least as many if not more features. Being user friendly means its more comfortable and easier to use on a daily basis. I never mentioned anything about not being able to figure out how the Ipod works, but you feel free to assume whatever you need to. I never made a personal statement about you but if you need to reference my intelligence level to make your point then go right ahead and let the personal attacks fly (it's nothing we who have been here for long enough haven't already seen many many times in the past).

I don't give a rats ass if you think MP3 players have to have those other features to be WORTH it but they don't. Its all about what the USER needs. Not what JESSE thinks. :rolleyes:

No Joshua they have to have those features for you to fairly compare them to an Ipod. These as always are opinions, which is what the thread asked for if you'd care to remember. Opinions are indeed "what I think" about stuff.

Forget issues like the Ipod is a scratch magnet, the battery runs out in no time and isn't user replaceable, is bigger, more expensive, locks up and/crashes frequently, songs bought off Itunes are more expensive and have to be converted to play on other mp3 players. Forget all those issues and I am sure many more I am just not thinking of at 2am. Some owners have a vested interest in their brand and cant admit it when it has flaws, so be it. I'm not going to argue logic with someone like Josh, like a few others I know he sees things only one way (his way). Josh if you say that spending more money to get less is a good idea then so be it, it's your money spend away. I keep reminding myself, the world needs all kinds.........

I let the OP know my opinion about his topic and I think I have sufficiently let Josh know what I think of him. So that's all I have to say about that.

I suddenly remembered why I take 6 month hiatus's from this forum......

Thanks for the info gang.

Question, if I buy music from somewhere other then iTunes, like Amazon or something would I be able to put it on the PSP?

So, I can't put any music from iTunes on the PSP?

I would decide between the Touch or the PSP. Depending on which size of iPod Touch it would probably still have more memory than the PSP (although that can be upgraded with memory cards), both can play videos, both play music. The iPod has Itunes which is nice. But the PSP has great games, and it would be much cheaper. They both have Wi-Fi, but the iPod has an internet browser (I don't think the PSP has one?).

PSP has an internet browser.

Not only does it have a stronger line up than a DS

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That, sir, is a matter of opinion. They definitely cater to different audiences, so there is a clear choice, it just depends on what kind of gaming experience you're looking for.

For some reason DS vs PSP has been an issue of kiddie vs hardcore. I think anyone making that argument doesn't know what they are talking about, and it's not a discussion worth having. imo, the DS offers more innovative titles that could be played in short bursts (the point of handheld gaming, imo) while the PSP offers the console experience in a smaller package. So that statement about having a stronger lineup is true for either system, it just depends on what kind of gaming experience you're looking for.

I try to stay out of fanboy pissing matches, and I'm truly not trying to start one here, but I can't just let a statement like that go unchallenged.

What's all this talk about MP3 players? Who the ^^^^ still uses the MP3 format?

Look what you started, Agent23! :lol

But, to answer your question, your PSP will be able to play DRM free music from Amazon or iTunes just fine. Just make sure you have the latest firmware.

Thanks for the info gang.

Question, if I buy music from somewhere other then iTunes, like Amazon or something would I be able to put it on the PSP?

So, I can't put any music from iTunes on the PSP?

If it's got the DRM it can only be played in Itunes or an iPod. I don't know if Amazon has DRM on their music.

I would just get an IPod or ITouch if you want to watch movies and listen to music.

I would get a PSP if you want to play games on top of the others.

I would get just a stand alone MP3 if you only want to listen to music.

4 me personally I upgraded to the IPod Classic because I wanted to watch movies on the go along with my music. Something my old MP3 couldn't do.

Last edited:
PSP all the way!! Unlock it and download any game you want for free. plus add videos, music and pics, and browse the net.

Ipod is the most over-hyped piece of ^^^^ player on the market today. much better selections for multi-media players or even music players out there than ipods.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That, sir, is a matter of opinion. They definitely cater to different audiences, so there is a clear choice, it just depends on what kind of gaming experience you're looking for.

For some reason DS vs PSP has been an issue of kiddie vs hardcore. I think anyone making that argument doesn't know what they are talking about, and it's not a discussion worth having. imo, the DS offers more innovative titles that could be played in short bursts (the point of handheld gaming, imo) while the PSP offers the console experience in a smaller package. So that statement about having a stronger lineup is true for either system, it just depends on what kind of gaming experience you're looking for.

I try to stay out of fanboy pissing matches, and I'm truly not trying to start one here, but I can't just let a statement like that go unchallenged.

I think it went unchallenged because most agree with it. Anyone can argue all they want and deny the DS is catered toward children and the PSP is catering towards an older hardcore crowd, but it's true. DS has some good games but nothing that would appeal to most older gamers. You said it so yourself except for the word gimmicky you used innovative, PSP offers "a console in your hands" basically and can also be played in short bursts. I'd feel ridiculous carrying around the little DS in public. The line up for certain consoles says it all:

DS games: Nintendogs, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, Hanna Montana, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing, Kirby, etc....

PSP games: God of War, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Crisis Core, Grand Theft Autos, Tekken, Battlefront, Syphon Filter, WipEout, etc...

Nintendos approach for the DS is the same as the wii, aim at very young children( (especially girls, kids who like cute anime characters etc.) or very old people who enjoy brain age or other non-game, games.

DS games: Nintendogs, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, Hanna Montana, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing, Kirby, etc....

PSP games: God of War, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Crisis Core, Grand Theft Autos, Tekken, Battlefront, Syphon Filter, WipEout, etc...

You're forgetting the great games like Castlevania, Mega Man, Advance Wars, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, all for the DS.

I still stand by my statement, if someone is thinking DS vs PSP is a matter of kiddie vs. hardcore, then they either don't understand gaming as a whole or they need to take the fanboy goggles off.

You're forgetting the great games like Castlevania, Mega Man, Advance Wars, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, all for the DS.

I still stand by my statement, if someone is thinking DS vs PSP is a matter of kiddie vs. hardcore, then they either don't understand gaming as a whole or they need to take the fanboy goggles off.

The games catered towards hardcore gamers are few and far between on the DS, I think Nintendo needs to take the goggles off and start making games for gamers and not little girls.

The games catered towards hardcore gamers are few and far between on the DS, I think Nintendo needs to take the goggles off and start making games for gamers and not little girls.

That Nintendo makes games for kids is a huge misconception! They are one of the greatest game developers there are! That their games might look more colourful then those of other developers does not mean that the concepts behind them are catered towards children.

i always thought DS and PSP are for little kidz :D, cant wait to get madden in PSP, if i was you i'll get both, play while you listen to music :rock

Back