Prometheus Body: Keep or Start Over?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a huge difference in cost making molds that will last 500,000+ presses vs one that will only need to last 10,000.

Also, I don't really feel comfortable saying they definately stole an idea. They could have independantly happened to look similar or subconsciously borrowed the design. I would not assume they totally scammed the design.

It is sad we scared away a lot of people, but man its really sad too that we still truly do have OCCASSIONAL things so bad that we get worked up over it.

Some of the issues we have problems with really do deserve the "WTF happened"? And not just little nitpicks.

I never said they stole anything. They might have asked/paid Volks USA to use the design. But there is nothing sub-conscious about it. Look at the legs. All those pieces are from the same molds. Everything else is also the same, except with a new surface.

Pix, yeah I'm sure I scared away all the reps. First of all, if they refuse to post here just because someone speaks their opinion, then that is pretty sad. Secondly, I haven't seen any Sideshow artists post here since late 2005, with exception of the portrait sculptors Andy, Trevor, and on a rare occassion, Oluf and Tim. Maybe if some designers from Sideshow visited and posted once in a while, there could be some thoughtful discussion and not just endless lists of what people would like to see improved...with posts that might come across a bit strong because it feels talking into a blind alley with no response but an echo.

Last edited:
I just can't tell for myself whether they independently did the work or not. I will say that if they didn't develope it themselves that some of the price increases that we've been subject to would seem even less warranted.

I say scrap it. The Hot Toys True Type and Saturday Toys body are the best out there. I actually like the Sautrday Toys body better, it has all the articulation of the TT, but will better shoulders.

Sideshow should go to the Saturday Toys body and be done with it.

If you read my post Dave, you would realize he falls that way. The torso and hips can barely support the weight of his head. I want him to stand up straight! I love how people try to insinuate that I am trying to make the Pro look worse than it is. Why would I waste all this time writing this post if I was just making these problems up? Perhaps, these are legitimate problems that are part of the reason why people have dropped out of Sideshow's 1/6 lines and now they have figures on giftcard and second chance.

Not that I disagree with some of your points but I agree with Dave.

It is funny that you are using the first figure released with the Pro body since everyone seems to have had issues with the tightness of that body. Sideshow even addressed the issue (which it seems like they never do much of publicly) and said the tightness issues were being addressed and the bodies would improve and they have. The Dead priest, Belloq and Snake Eyes I have received have all had super tight bodies.

The least you could do is use a Pro that is of a later production run to be fair to the new body since some of your issues have been addressed. Those pictures do make it look like you are trying to make it look bad on purpose. However, I do agree with you on a couple of your points like the torso length, height of the body and not liking the huge gaps on the back of the legs combined with the flat butt.

Here are a few pictures of a full erect Pro body. :lol

p1020900o.jpg
p1020893v.jpg
p1020895g.jpg
p1020897f.jpg

Limp pro :(

Yeah, using Indy pro as a example is unfair, later pros have been much better as far as joints go.

Hey Natrix, I wasn't trying to be unfair. I only own Indy, so I can't critique other figures with the Prometheus. But I don't think that should make my observations any less valid. I was simply describing my own experience. That's why I asked you guys to share your opinions on the Pro in my original post.

When I was standing the figures on my desk for the photos, it was difficult to get the Pro to stand freely long enough for a shot. I wasn't trying to get him to slump. He kept tilting forward and inevitably falling over. I would tilt him back and feel like his center of gravity was most happy with the hips out. I wasn't spending infinite amounts of time working on their stance. I was simply trying to get them to stand up. With the TrueType and SoldierStory, I usually can just plant the feet down flat with my fingers and they will stand. Unfortunately, this did not work for the Pro and it might also have something to do with the loose ankles. So instead, I had to keep adjusting the torso and legs until he was balanced.

The first batch of TT years ago were also limp and not the bodies we all know and love today. Further, I don't know much about the saturday toys body, but I am sure it wasn't so great when it was brand new.

Comparing the first batch of PRO's against bodies which have been in release for years is not fair and thats why this thread is FAIL.

It probably isn't the soundest scientific experiment about the Pro as an ongoing product, but its a fair shot at the Indy product itself.

Used to think TT was the best body on the market, but have since changed my mind, Saturday Toys is slighty better imo.

Comparing the first batch of PRO's against bodies which have been in release for years is not fair and thats why this thread is FAIL.
This thread isn't fail. There will be other people about that haven't purchased because of the negativity surrounding the initial Pro. Some will read this thread and have their faith restored.

Well what do you know...I just removed the Saturday Toys suit and look what I found underneath. Once again, strong resemblance to the Volks.:google This came out before the Prometheus. Small world...flat butt and all. ;)

HOWEVER, I immediately notice that this Saturday Toys nude has tight smooth joints in all parts of the body and no ratchet feeling at the knees. Also, the ankles use tight ball socket joints instead of the Sideshow ball hinge. The Saturday toys shows less similarity to the Volks in the lower portion of the body (notice difference in hip/legs).

2mmz860.jpg

2a7saki.jpg

316x1tk.jpg

Yawwwwn

Yet another "sideshow needs to do this" thread by Justin.

I say you should just make your own body and get back to us.

If you read my post Dave, you would realize he falls that way. The torso and hips can barely support the weight of his head. I want him to stand up straight! I love how people try to insinuate that I am trying to make the Pro look worse than it is. Why would I waste all this time writing this post if I was just making these problems up? Perhaps, these are legitimate problems that are part of the reason why people have dropped out of Sideshow's 1/6 lines and now they have figures on giftcard and second chance.

Cause all you're good at around here is complaining like some high school girl who didn't get her way.

Its threads like these where it really is no wonder why (and who) have chased away all the SS VIPs who used to post here.

Yup, Justin along with several others like him. I wouldn't want to post here and work with us on actual constructive things if I had to read some of this crap. I don't want to have to break it to Justin but they've posted here since 2005 and he's just missed those posts. Probably too busy nagging about something honestly.

Pix, yeah I'm sure I scared away all the reps. First of all, if they refuse to post here just because someone speaks their opinion, then that is pretty sad. Secondly, I haven't seen any Sideshow artists post here since late 2005, with exception of the portrait sculptors Andy, Trevor, and on a rare occassion, Oluf and Tim. Maybe if some designers from Sideshow visited and posted once in a while, there could be some thoughtful discussion and not just endless lists of what people would like to see improved...with posts that might come across a bit strong because it feels talking into a blind alley with no response but an echo.

Well, like I said you and some of the other folks who just think all SS does is crap, that everyone can do it better than them, etc. Thats the stuff that has ran them off. I think most of you have missed the name of this group is Sideshow Freaks. That doesn't mean they get a pass when they mess up but this forum is for folks who enjoy their work more than dislike their work. They've got pretty thick skin and can take plenty but the overall feel here anymore is quite anti-SS. I may be called a super fan, that I wear rose colored glasses but good god some of you need to get off their ass for a few second. Also, If you really think none of the Sideshow folk have posted here since 2005 then you need to open your eyes and quit moaning for a second to read a bit more.

Well, like I said you and some of the other folks who just think all SS does is crap, that everyone can do it better than them, etc. Thats the stuff that has ran them off. I think most of you have missed the name of this group is Sideshow Freaks. That doesn't mean they get a pass when they mess up but this forum is for folks who enjoy their work more than dislike their work. They've got pretty thick skin and can take plenty but the overall feel here anymore is quite anti-SS. I may be called a super fan, that I wear rose colored glasses but good god some of you need to get off their ass for a few second. Also, If you really think none of the Sideshow folk have posted here since 2005 then you need to open your eyes and quit moaning for a second to read a bit more.

I might have said that I like the Soldier Story body for Indy, but that's only if your posing him with an open shirt.
But I have to agree with you Josh, I came here because I love Sideshow products. I feel some of the attacks the company are getting are unwarranted. They are still producing some awesome collectables like the Indy PF the Anakin PF and Thor. There Dead line is still as popular as ever and I for one look forward to owning the German disguise Indy.

Back