Statue Prime 1 Studio Destro statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prime1 really needs to tweak this line. They kill in every ****ing license they hold except this one. Here, they look like they shouldn't even be putting their names on this. I have a bigger urge to buy their Guyver and Kinikkuman (sp?) statues when they preview, because they look AWESOME, and I don't even know what they are. :lol

Ya, I can see why people are saying his quads and calves are too buff. I like his upper body musculature and agree if they pulled back a bit on lower leg buffness, he would look more proportional. But if you compare with IDW comics, he is actually just fine....even not as jacked as in the drawings. I am confused now....either way, I like him

But if you compare with IDW comics, he is actually just fine....even not as jacked as in the drawings. I am confused now....

That is exactly the problem with this Joe line from them, they are "parroting" a ****** artist and sculpting the mistakes that artist makes, its not just Destro, that Storm Shadow is straight from an IDW cover and I'm assuming Snake is straight up copy as well. Its one thing for companies to make a Jim Lee batman or a Miller Batman, those are iconic and sell the character to many fans and also, Batman has a million, billion, gazillion statues already, so they can afford to cater to styles, because honestly, batman merchandise are just victory laps with something available for everyone's tastes. Theres next to no Joe high end stuff available, they really should stick to proper proportions and good sculpting details, rather than get wrapped up too tightly in one artist rendition at this point.

Prime1 really needs to tweak this line. They kill in every ****ing license they hold except this one. Here, they look like they shouldn't even be putting their names on this. I have a bigger urge to buy their Guyver and Kinikkuman (sp?) statues when they preview, because they look AWESOME, and I don't even know what they are. :lol

That is exactly the problem with this Joe line from them, they are "parroting" a ****** artist and sculpting the mistakes that artist makes, its not just Destro, that Storm Shadow is straight from an IDW cover and I'm assuming Snake is straight up copy as well. Its one thing for companies to make a Jim Lee batman or a Miller Batman, those are iconic and sell the character to many fans and also, Batman has a million, billion, gazillion statues already, so they can afford to cater to styles, because honestly, batman merchandise are just victory laps with something available for everyone's tastes. Theres next to no Joe high end stuff available, they really should stick to proper proportions and good sculpting details, rather than get wrapped up too tightly in one artist rendition at this point.

Snake Eyes and Serpentor are easily best in the line. I'm very pleased with how they look. Scarlett could and should be better. Especially since she's the first Scarlett statue I've seen released. Storm Shadow is pretty much equal to the Sideshow statue. The problem I had with Destro when I looked today is I couldn't even tell the difference between the normal and exclusive facial sculpt. They need to do more with these since this might be the last time we see 1/4 GI Joe statues.

Who is the IDW artist that Prime 1 is using for reference? I haven't read those new issues. The last series I picked up Adam Hughes did a Baroness cover. It's this 2008 series.

https://mycomicshop.com/search?TID=16521921

I see a variant for #1 is kind of similar to the poses for Snake Eyes and Scarlett.

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1506656.jpg

I'm still looking forward to Prime 1's Baroness. I thought they would have her at least previewed at the last show in Japan. By the last Prime 1 interview it almost seemed like Baroness would be the last in the line. Maybe that's a good thing for me as even though I want Duke or Falcon, that would make me get Serpentor for the GI Joe Movie scene.

It's kind of sad because they started off saying there would be two different lines. They never clarified it. And now it looks like this line isn't selling well enough. Maybe it should have been 1/5 and have a known artist do the designs.

Yep, thats the artist, Atkins. I don't follow the IDW either, I just know someone else had already posted this pic as the Storm Shadow inspiration. I don't think its licensing, they had stated on facebook during the initial backlash on the Joes that they plan on doing IDW and classic 80s style Joes. I'm ready to see the classic stuff.
atkins_stormshadow_issue13.jpg

I definitely don't want this line to die, but man if they really are copying Atkins artwork, that is a really bad bad move in my opinion. His artwork is not pleasing at all.

Like what others have already mentioned here, I would love to see the classic Joes. If they want to target sales then the original 80's art work would be more appealing especially the collectors that grew up playing with the Hasbro toys. I can clearly remember the excitement I have opening most of my 82' to 88' line up during those years.

This is only my opinion, the versions they have are overly muscled up and abs emphasise too much that they even beat guys competing on the Mr. Olympia stage. The action poses they do are more like gymnastic and ballerina poses. It looks good on display but its to much for me to think if they can really hold it like that. To much drama on their poses and way over the top. Why don't they copy the card art poses and have a backdraft with a fire burst like the original one. I bet you if they do it like that it would greatly appeal to the collectors of that generation. But thats just my opinion.

I'm really disappointed with all the P1 Joes except for Snake Eyes which I have on pre-order. I think he looks pretty damn close to the cartoon. Destro, Storm Shadow, and Serpentor are real disappointments. I would like to see the Joes more cartoon-like over the Schwarzennegger-esque sculpts.

I'm really disappointed with all the P1 Joes except for Snake Eyes which I have on pre-order. I think he looks pretty damn close to the cartoon. Destro, Storm Shadow, and Serpentor are real disappointments. I would like to see the Joes more cartoon-like over the Schwarzennegger-esque sculpts.

Personally, i think a cartoon inspired 1/6 statue line would kick butt. You could get a lot of different characters at a reasonable price point.

I don't think its licensing, they had stated on facebook during the initial backlash on the Joes that they plan on doing IDW and classic 80s style Joes. I'm ready to see the classic stuff.

What was the initial backlash on Facebook about?

I asked on the SF about the two lines a while back but Prime 1 didn't answer. I think their representative left that forum. I wanted to know so I could make a better decision on which Joes I wanted to purchase. But I couldn't miss Snake Eyes. Sideshow pulled their low stock or I think he did go to wait list once. But he's still up for order now.

I think this line is it for Prime 1. I can't see them trying to sell a 1/3 line. Nor can I see them trying to sell another Snake Eyes that's 1/5 when the current 1/4 hasn't sold out yet. They did show that Cobra Commander but I really don't see us getting that. Prime 1 didn't even mention it when they said Baroness was next.

Maybe GI Joe just isn't a hot seller. Sideshow couldn't even release a Scarlett figure to go with their Baroness. And I think Sideshow made a new female body for that Baroness. Sideshow stuff does eventually sell out but that Baroness took a while and went on discount for less than the $180 they were asking. Even the Premium Format Baroness which I didn't like sold out. That was $350 back then.

I like the idea of both modern and classic Joes if they can do it right. If not I'll take classic cartoon. I just want a line of my favorites as high end figures or statues that look better than the small figures I grew up with. It sounds easy but everyone keeps stopping after a handful of pieces.

Go watch your cartoons with the rest of the boys.
f54c4f53d00a6576bf79ba8f18920274.jpg

What was the initial backlash on Facebook about?

Just complaints when the initial statues were previewed that it was all IDW. Kelvin said there were definitely plans to do many iterations of the characters including classic stuff, but he didn't go into detail whether he meant card art or cartoon style.

I wonder how the old Sideshow Baroness would pair with this Destro? Or better to wait to see if Prime One ever does one

Back