Statue Prime 1 Studio - 1/4 Scale - 90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I just got Michaelangelo opened and set up. He's the only one I pre-ordered because he was the only one I wanted out of the four. I took some photos and here are my thoughts, for anyone on the fence.

PROS:

1) Nice shading...I posed him with my NECA turtles, and I feel that his shading is a bit more subtle and layered compared to the figures, which I think looks nice. I also like that he actually looks like a turtle that would be living in a sewer. In other words, he's a bit darker, as is his front shell. I'd argue that maybe the front shell is a bit TOO dark, but I don't think it's bad by any means.

2) Eyes. I like that, compared to the NECA's, the eyes are bigger and you can really see them. The NECA's, by contrast, have eyes that are obscured by their masks. I think that looks quite good, too--but in the movie, you could most certainly see their eyes, and I think that's represented well in this statue.

3) Nunchucks actually had a bit of heft to them, that was nice. At first I had a bit of trouble getting them in, but it wasn't too bad. I noticed that one 'chuck fit loosely in his hand, the other was quite tight. So, I put the loose one under his arm and gently swayed it back and forth until it went in. The other, I just gently pushed it his hand until it was positioned okay.

CONS:

1) Base. I think the base is too big. I would've rather the base be a little smaller and more specific to each turtle, but could still be put together (like the Sideshow turtles). Here, the bases seem 15% bigger than they need to be, and it's really only cause they all connect to one another. I obviously knew this going in, but I still feel it could've been done better to take up a bit less real estate.

2) Wow Factor. So to me, I look at him and think he surprisingly fits in well with the NECA turtles--more or less. But I also would say that he doesn't have a huge WOW factor. To me, that's probably a direct result of the NECA's existing. Despite being figures, the NECA's look good. The NECA's are severely limited in terms of pose-ability, and of course they have joints, but they are very good for the money you invest.

I think this Michaelangelo is a nice statue. I like it quite a bit, actually. But do I absolutely LOVE IT--when factoring in the price? Not quite. So, I'm still on the fence with it. I'm going to give it a few more days before I decide whether it's staying or going back.

Here are some photos for anyone interested:

35140213903_e1acde60a0_c.jpg

35817389341_b1f3b90043_c.jpg

35817440881_4e3f9ea1ca_c.jpg

35817419461_59cb1d134f_c.jpg

35817329821_70c3a6366c_c.jpg

35908410006_eb5c657a27_c.jpg

35140129613_db03dc5854_c.jpg

Great review PACMAN3000, very informative.

Just going by this pic here it does look like Mike stands out from the NECA bunch and looks the most realistic out of the other Turtles, but you think the price doesn't justify the quality?

the

Just going by this pic here it does look like Mike stands out from the NECA bunch and looks the most realistic out of the other Turtles, but you think the price doesn't justify the quality?

the

I actually think think I like the NECA ones better. Seems like Prime could have made these better, they're just not accurate enough IMO. The paint on those bandanas just looks poor to me. Something is not right.

I actually think think I like the NECA ones better.
Seems like Prime could have made these better, they're just not accurate enough IMO. The paint on those bandanas just looks poor to me. Something is not right.

In this case I am not talking about accuracy, I am talking about realism. Mike looks more realistic than the others in that pic as his skin looks more life-like, but as far as accuracy goes, NECA might be the better one out of the two. :dunno

The paint on those bandanas just looks poor to me. Something is not right.

Agreed, they are also not sculpted well either.

Last edited:
Can somebody please tell me the MAX. depth measurements of the bases (Centimeters?) when not posed together.
Need to know because I'm looking for the right glass cabinet in my home to pose them.

I swallowed my pride and returned my EX set of 4 to Sideshow today, spending $100+ shipping them back, plus the loss of the $200+ NRD. An expensive mistake that will definitely make me think twice on pre-ordering such a big / expensive set like this in the future. As a huge TMNT fan, I *really* wanted to love these, but honestly the quality and wow factor just doesnt line up with the price IMO. There's many things that bug me, starting with the sculpts themselves (definitely feel off) and going down to the gloss/shine, bandana sculpting and detailing, and pretty large bases that kind of make the turtles appear smaller than I would like. All in all, there were too many things that nagged at my brain when I looked at them to warrant me keeping them, so a $350 loss on a $2300 refund was worth the return for me. Really bummed out though, not gonna lie. At least I have the NECA SDCC 2017 exclusive box set coming in a few days to help me forget lol.

Now wondering if I should still get the set from SS or just wait for some disgruntle collector to put theirs up for sale for a little bit cheaper..

Good question. I guess I would probably lean no--but that's because of the price. If it was priced around $400--maybe.

To me, the Michaelangelo looks very much like Mikey from the movie, and although I like the NECA's, I think their Michaelangelo is going to be their "worst" because of his expression and the reused body, making him appear a bit elongated.

Overall, I think I'm leaning towards keeping this piece. I think he looks accurate, which is what I care about most first, and although I like the NECA's, I think it's nice to have a representation of at least one turtle that can be put into an action pose without it looking awkward/wonky.

But from what I've seen in photos and video, as a set totaling $2300, they look disappointing.

Good question. I guess I would probably lean no--but that's because of the price. If it was priced around $400--maybe.

To me, the Michaelangelo looks very much like Mikey from the movie, and although I like the NECA's, I think their Michaelangelo is going to be their "worst" because of his expression and the reused body, making him appear a bit elongated.

Overall, I think I'm leaning towards keeping this piece. I think he looks accurate, which is what I care about most first, and although I like the NECA's, I think it's nice to have a representation of at least one turtle that can be put into an action pose without it looking awkward/wonky.

But from what I've seen in photos and video, as a set totaling $2300, they look disappointing.
Photos are really deceiving with this set just due to the tinted translucent resin. They just need a lot of good lighting. Love mine, a personal grail to me.

Finally Leo has arrived! love the presence of this set, will take a proper pics later.
be391f145e20fd11f695ea18f5967508.jpg

664f1471642132bb63955cab0b8dd0a3.jpg

b34c3a80d379a7e4a7cbc724e8958a2e.jpg

so happy I want to open this up & order pizza using the coupon

080d53b72922b910521f9e2adb8da852.jpg

I actually think think I like the NECA ones better. Seems like Prime could have made these better, they're just not accurate enough IMO. The paint on those bandanas just looks poor to me. Something is not right.

Mikey doesn't look realistic at all. He looks so shiny and fake. Not even trolling I just don't see the realistic aspects on him at all. Like compared to prime 1 other outings this looks very cheaply made. There marvel and dc offerings are amazing .

The paint is just plain lazy on these. There's a few spots on my Donnie bandana where they didn't paint over the base green coat and simply left it. It's more visible when you shine a light through the turtles (as someone did earlier in the thread) . It allows you to see how half-assed the factory painted these, especially the eyes.

Back when Prime 1 started announcing their boatload of licenses, someone here or at the other place noted that we would start to see a drop in quality simply because the factory or factories wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

Was it tough to get the sword into Leo's right hand? Having problems with mine. He's the first I opened

I see, if these drop in Price then maybe I will get them but because so many people are unhappy with these, I think I will passing on them for now.

Agreed.

I think most people do, otherwise there is really no point in owning these, that doesn't mean they have to be 100% accurate though. However, for the price they should look a lot better than NECAs and it seems though this is not the case.

I think owning one of them is enough to know if they are worth that price or not.

Photos are really deceiving with this set just due to the tinted translucent resin. They just need a lot of good lighting. Love mine, a personal grail to me.

That's what I thought, but it seems a lot of people that have these are still unhappy with how they turned out. So obviously many owners are not happy with the paint job on these, even if you are. However, they look amazing in Raph's video, much more life-like than NECAs, so I find myself in some what of a predicament.

Finally Leo has arrived! love the presence of this set, will take a proper pics later.
be391f145e20fd11f695ea18f5967508.jpg

664f1471642132bb63955cab0b8dd0a3.jpg

b34c3a80d379a7e4a7cbc724e8958a2e.jpg

so happy I want to open this up & order pizza using the coupon

080d53b72922b910521f9e2adb8da852.jpg

This is the exact reason I wanted to get them, brings back so many memories. Really wanted these but the combination of the high price and the fact that many owners are not happy with how they turn out is what is preventing me from pulling the trigger.

Mikey doesn't look realistic at all. He looks so shiny and fake. Not even trolling I just don't see the realistic aspects on him at all. Like compared to prime 1 other outings this looks very cheaply made. There marvel and dc offerings are amazing .

Well that's your opinion, but to me it stands out from the rubbery looking NECA figures, despite how well those are painted.

The paint is just plain lazy on these. There's a few spots on my Donnie bandana where they didn't paint over the base green coat and simply left it. It's more visible when you shine a light through the turtles (as someone did earlier in the thread) . It allows you to see how half-assed the factory painted these, especially the eyes.

I gather by that you mean lack of detail in that area?

Back when Prime 1 started announcing their boatload of licenses, someone here or at the other place noted that we would start to see a drop in quality simply because the factory or factories wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

Well so far all of their recent statues have had QC issues, Superman's suit, and Batfleck's has numerous problems.

Last edited:
Well so far all of their recent statues have had QC issues, Superman's suit, and Batfleck's has numerous problems.

Don't forget numerous problems with Megatron, Starscream pegs that doesn't fit, magnets that are not strong enough...

I don't mind what people are thinking about these Turtles. I'm still waiting to receive them.

Every statue has it's own problem. About 10 years ago when there was a statue announced of "I don't know what"... everybody was happy with "oooh, aahh, wow!" Now these days everybody expects too much (though it's a higher pricetag), while 10 years ago statues were also expensive... but when raising the bar with prices and quality everybody went with it.

And about Neca Turtles, they are cool also, but isn't it the material that's better to mold that made them more detailed?
Also taking a look at the lifespan of the statues and accccoires... Leo's sword and Raphael' Sais are made of metal on the P1.
Bending (when it get's warm doesn't seem a problem with those... )
Too bad the Necas are difficult to get overseas... otherwise I also bought them...

Don't forget numerous problems with Megatron, Starscream pegs that doesn't fit, magnets that are not strong enough...

I was unaware of those problems, since I don't really follow Transformer products. Were those common problems?

I don't mind what people are thinking about these Turtles. I'm still waiting to receive them.

Well that's your prerogative, I usually don't let peoples opinions persuade me too much, but the fact that so many owners are not happy and are actually returning them is a red flag IMO.

Every statue has it's own problem. About 10 years ago when there was a statue announced of "I don't know what"... everybody was happy with "oooh, aahh, wow!" Now these days everybody expects too much (though it's a higher pricetag), while 10 years ago statues were also expensive... but when raising the bar with prices and quality everybody went with it.

You might be right, but a statue should not have noticeable major flaws, like the ones I have read about Superman and Batfleck, granted they are not that common. Prime is known as a high quality statue company but I think they produce things that look nice, but their products are either poor quality or they have poor quality conrtol. Statues that cost thousands of dollars, should not have a common issue like Nunchucks not fitting in the Turtles hands.

And about Neca Turtles, they are cool also, but isn't it the material that's better to mold that made them more detailed?

I don't know, but it sounds right. Nevertheless, these still look more life-like than the NECA Turtles IMO.

Also taking a look at the lifespan of the statues and accccoires... Leo's sword and Raphael' Sais are made of metal on the P1.
Bending (when it get's warm doesn't seem a problem with those... )

U raise some good points, but I care more about how the Turtles look themselves rather than their accessories.

Too bad the Necas are difficult to get overseas... otherwise I also bought them...

So you can't just buy them online?

Last edited:
Well that's your prerogative, I usually don't let peoples opinions persuade me too much, but the fact that so many owners are not happy and are actually returning them is a red flag IMO.

don't think this is true, the majority of the actual owners are happy with them (I personally know 5), granted some have QC issues but no one is returning them except for one case here. Having both sets (still missing NECA's Leo & Mikey) I can tell you that both are totally different animals. NECA has better likeness on at least Leo & Raph while Prime 1 have better details, shadings & overall presence. Still think it's not fair to compare the two. I think the bandanas could have been better on Prime 1 ones, or even better using actual fabric. Overall, not perfect but still looks great & have hell of a presence,, definitely not bad enough to return IMHO.

btw did Prime 1 state if there were any plans for a Splinter or Shredder for this line, or just the turtles and done?

Back