PREORDER NOW! [iminime] The Deadly Vipers - The Angry Bride, The Yakuza Queen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree these pics are totally an unfair representation on the product. Honestly I don't even get why somebod would pay a grand for a pair of figures, and take quick cell phone unflattering 2 second pics right after opening the box and proceed to bash them...

DX13 Terminator, and every other damn figure in existence looks like junk right out of the box unposed and unfutzed with no lights and a cell camera..
People post saying they want immediate pics. bruhkis provides them, with very little in the way of criticism, and he gets run down for it. Jeez, give a guy a break. Not everyone is going to spend 2 hours futzing and photographing their figures.

People post saying they want immediate pics. bruhkis provides them, with very little in the way of criticism, and he gets run down for it. Jeez, give a guy a break. Not everyone is going to spend 2 hours futzing and photographing their figures.

Wasn't gonna comment but.... I used my iPad....I enjoy wake's pics but these were fresh out of the box....I was off today and lucky to have them..just sharing what I had....I am not naive that there won't be more high glossy ones to come ....peace and love....peace and love!

Ya i'm not sure what the story was on the sword and the cost allotment to the price but the stock sword should have at least chrome plastic instead of flimsy plastic...just my 2 cents for paying over $400. Then again, we were fully in the know or should have asked when Wake took the promo pics.

must say I wasnt talking about bruhkis, no offense intended sorry bro! I was mainly referencing the complainers on OSW that were doing the real running down.

im sorry guys,. im an imnime fan boy also, but if playtoy can make a metal katana, with the honzo insignia, why cant iminime.........i know i know ther changed their name, and in my case i spent $1000+ i am getting a plastic sword,??????? wich is a pivotal prop to the figure. i would have thought they could have thrown in the metal for spending on the dx $1,000 like i did,.!!!!! but nope!! i had to go to ebay to get 2 playtoy......same thing with the ugly boots from the cowboy. that never should have happened.......really, a PLASTIC sword......i honestly thought right to the end they woulld correct this......we should not have to go through 10 pages of people campainging for changes to happen, when the custom co.'s have their pow wow's over the figure and its every part, somethings should be corrected on their own, not overlooked. you cannot tell me they thought a plastic sword was a brilliant idea!!! and a $40 upgrade after that money spent, seems to sit ok with some people!!!! really...wow.....

..........and before i get jumped on, if i had to add up all the upgrading i had to do from the start, body swaps for the first 5-6 figures, or more, shoe swaps, hands, its in the hundred$,,,,,and something nobody talks about, certs with no # on them, why because its a custom we were told, lol, ok sure. why even include that anymore...we know why there no edition # on them, c'mon,,,,geezz.......and i just watched that video on osr, damn if he isnt right...............but yet i keep buying saying this is the one i take out of the box , futz, and display......shame on me..

I watched Carlos' video, and I can understand where he's coming from, purely as a consumer, but, at the same time, I also think that there are a few things that are a bit unfair about his assessment. For one thing, the bodies. I suppose that, by default, I am a Masterworks fanboy, since the only other figure I own, outside of licensed Hot Toys figures, is The Cowboy, but, dammit, a high-end, realistic, and authentically rendered Blondie figure was a grail for me for a long time and nothing really measured up to the image I had in my mind until I saw those pics of Trevor's sculpt and their paintwork. Suffice it to say, I will be forever grateful for that...even if it did cost me my two 89 Batman DX releases.:lol

With that in mind, I try to follow all of their stuff, even if it doesn't particularly interest me. One of the most widespread sources of complaints throughout the various threads I've been to have been the bodies. I'm not saying that people should want inferior bodies, but I do think that it's to be expected, because of the status of the creator. Masterworks finds themselves in a difficult position. On one hand, they're too large an operation for it to be economical to be able to use $50 Truetypes on every figure, nor are they small enough create one-of-a-kind modified bodies for each figure; on the other hand, they're not big enough to be able to manufacture their own base bodies on a mass scale, so they find themselves in the difficult position of having to purchase their bodies through third-party manufacturers.

My point is that there's a dearth of quality, mass produced bodies out their for sale to companies on a mass scale, or in an economical capacity. If there were better options out there that Denny could afford to adopt instead, I'm sure he would in a heartbeat, but, unfortunately, there isn't. As they grow, I think new opportunities will present themselves to Masterworks, and, in turn, there's going to be improvements in quality, but, for right now, I think people need to either take the "just deal with it" approach, or shell out for a new body. It's a little unfair to say "well, I just paid [x] amount for this figure and the body's not the best it can be" without first understanding all of the aspects of what that company has to go through to get that product to you.

I'm not sure what the status of the "other name" is, so, I'll just keep saying Masterworks, but, as a whole, I still think Denny has dreams of becoming a widespread, mass produced company like Hot Toys or Enterbay (though I do think that he's got a good thing going with these figures, and he's helping to fill a void of classic characters from iconic "non-'genre' fare" in this hobby). End of the day, though, economics are an integral part of that growth. If Denny could afford to buy Truetypes by the caseload for every release, I think he would, but you aren't going to get much growth if you're breaking the bank to buy bodies. With that in mind, people complaining about the $635 price tag need to learn to differentiate between "licensed products" and "custom works." Hot Toys can afford to give you a Batman for $200 because they have anywhere from 5-10,000 (possibly more) being produced in mass quantities for the public. The more you sell, the more you can make, and, in turn, the more economical mass production becomes. Masterworks doesn't have that luxury; they're really unlike any other custom works out there because they aren't strictly a one-to-two man operation, but the thing to remember is that they're still "custom artists," and should not be judged against what is, essentially, a widespread collectible company. A small team of artists is not the same as 400 workers on an assembly line (I could be grossly under/overestimating those numbers, but I think I've made my point).

With all that being said, while I do think that, for the large DX set like you ordered, mightyq, it would've been a nice feature to offer the metal swords, it still comes down to that one core component: economics. Denny couldn't afford to make the swords for every figure out of metal for the price he was charging, or I believe he would have. He, at least gave people an option (for a price that would make production economical). End of the day, though, I'm sure companies like Hot Toys have more advanced equipment at their disposal than a small team of custom artists that make manufacturing metalworks easier and cheaper. Point is, though, that Denny and his team don't necessarily have that luxury. I don't blame anyone for having an opinion, but I also think that people should also remember that they should try to keep an open mind and look at things from a perspective other than a consumers. That's not just directed towards you, mightyq, but, also, at Carlos, though I'm unaware if he reads these boards are not. No disrespect to anyone, I'm just saying that we should try to think outside of the box about things.

With that out of the way, I am going to disagree you on the "Cowboy" boots, mightyq. I didn't much care for them in pics, either, but, in hand, I'm actually pretty fond of them.:lol

Last edited:
3yhu7uju.jpg
u8u4u5a3.jpg
aqy8enyg.jpg
5u4avy6a.jpg
uvasarem.jpg
egatysyn.jpg

Overall 85% satisfied and happy. The paint on the two hands, as warned is coming off. The tailoring, costume, headsculpt and paint work is great. Uma Thurman likeness is very good. The body type is fair and poseability is ok. May need a dynamic stand for those who want to go crazy on posing her. The only negative is a noticeable gap between headsculpt and neck. I find the plastic sword also to be decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be lens distortion but, the zipper looks huge in those pics. Taking the hanging tag off would help too

BATFAN08-With that out of the way, I am going to disagree you on the "Cowboy" boots, mightyq. I didn't much care for them in pics, either, but, in hand, I'm actually pretty fond of them.:lol

and your entitled to your opinon, but like you , i would disagree,,somebody called them 'clog's", when thry first were revealed. I dont think you get for no reason. but still they werent a big enough deal anyhow. they were useable, thats all that mattered. the sword is a bigger deal, it just doesnt fit the release. i know you can buy it for a $40 upgrade. for me i just couldnt.!

I will not speculate and say denny did his best with the bodies, i do not know their cost basis to keep the release at a certain $ in the black that they want to. To say they did their best i think is incorrect. I think they did their best for what they wanted to spend. that i would agree on.

he did give an option for a metal sword, $40 for the upgrade. for me buying ther whole package with o'ren, it would have been nice to have those included, something like rainman does, he rewards a dx buyer. do not get we wrong, denny is in no way forced to do this. what i am saying it would have been nice. how the other guys feel who just bought the reguar release with o'ren, you would have to ask them.

also BATFAN08, i do not expect you to understand one iota of where i am coming from, you bought one releasae like you say, and were over the moon about it. of course you have nothing but accolades for master wroks. it was an aweosme release, top notch, but you have not supported denny from day one to make the same obsevation as me. like i said if you would go back and see. I along with many others, ask popculture, had to do body swaps for the first bunch of figures, some were so bad they would flop over if held in your hand,. to denny's credit he did find a better body, and has changed, there were also shoes, and hands. more than your aware of. I am not entitled to the upgrade swords, but what i am saying it would have been a nice surprise! theres just something about going back into paypal and forking over another $80+ shipping maybe, after shelling out $1,500+ its not the $80, for me it becomes the principal of it. i have bought 90% of what they have released, and everytime the best they offer, dx versions. if i am not a valued customer i dont know what is? i am a v.i.p. member, now do not take this the worng way, anybody, as i have not complained to denny at all, but i asked for my 3 free heads 6 months ago.i am sure there is a reason why its 6 months, but why should it be 6 months! do you understand how i would feel that maybe my support really doesnt and isnt on their minds. what i would hate to think is that they thought of adding the sword for the dx version and decided not too. or they just didnt think of it. either way to ME, there both a bad choice. in the end it makes no difference, the figure is here and i am sure many will be thrilled, as they should. looks great.

its not a distortion, the zipper is huge!!! easy fix though, just snip off the hanging member...will make it better, although the smaller zippers are best, maybe they werent available....

I understand Masterworks' history, in regards to bodies, and I don't claim to know how their first releases were, but, in a way, I think you kind of proved my point. Compare the Cowboy's body to that of one of their earlier releases that you purchased, and there's no doubt a difference, in terms of quality, is there not? You also need to keep in mind the subject matter. As difficult as it is to find well produced base bodies in mass, distributive quantities for male body types, there's even more of a dearth when it comes to female body types, and, if I'm not mistaken, this is Masterworks' first female release, is it not? If so, then they're still relatively new to it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be somewhat disappointed, you're definitely entitled to that after all you've done to support them, but I'm just saying to be patient with them, as this is the first time they've really tackled a female character.

As for the heads, I'm really sorry to hear that. Denny seems somewhat swamped a lot of the time, though. Have you tried talking to Wake about it? He might be able to try and help you out, in regards to communicating your issue.

Last edited:
As for speculating on the cost of bodies, I think, in some way, you're missing my point. Cost is one thing, yes, but I'm referring to availability, more than anything. The bodies for these releases are available wholesale in bulk. That's much more difficult to find than simply buying one body at a time, and trying to get that amount of stock from, say, Hot Toys just isn't economically viable for what I'd classify as, essentially, a small start-up operation.

Though, really, even Hot Toys hasn't nailed the female body type, and I think that's another thing to keep in mind. When the widely renowned kings of 1/6th can't get it right, how can you really expect those not at that level to? Hell, even the Play Toys body has its faults, as Carlos pointed out that it's got a "phat booty," I believe.:lol

Last edited:
theres just something about going back into paypal and forking over another $80+ shipping maybe, after shelling out $1,500+ its not the $80, for me it becomes the principal of it.

Honest question here. If your principles are that important, why do you keep buying the figures, if you're constantly disappointed by the final product??

Still waiting, but you guys are worrying me a lot !!

I also missed on the sword upgrade. So we get an useless sword....

The zipper seems like a rookie mistake to me also, even it's an easy "fix". I mean, my last figure was the cowboy and it was almost 100% perfect. Also paint comes off from the hands?! Judging with those pics, clothing don't really look better than play toy set, apart from the shoes. If I recall right it was impossible to order the headsculpt only, I found it a bit tricky..

Of course I'm still excited to get this, but I already know, that first thing I do when I get it, is cutting that zipper and buying a play toy sword if I can find one...

Headsculpt and paint look perfect though.

BATFAN08-With that out of the way, I am going to disagree you on the "Cowboy" boots, mightyq. I didn't much care for them in pics, either, but, in hand, I'm actually pretty fond of them.:lol

and your entitled to your opinon, but like you , i would disagree,,somebody called them 'clog's", when thry first were revealed. I dont think you get for no reason. but still they werent a big enough deal anyhow. they were useable, thats all that mattered. the sword is a bigger deal, it just doesnt fit the release. i know you can buy it for a $40 upgrade. for me i just couldnt.!

I will not speculate and say denny did his best with the bodies, i do not know their cost basis to keep the release at a certain $ in the black that they want to. To say they did their best i think is incorrect. I think they did their best for what they wanted to spend. that i would agree on.

he did give an option for a metal sword, $40 for the upgrade. for me buying ther whole package with o'ren, it would have been nice to have those included, something like rainman does, he rewards a dx buyer. do not get we wrong, denny is in no way forced to do this. what i am saying it would have been nice. how the other guys feel who just bought the reguar release with o'ren, you would have to ask them.

also BATFAN08, i do not expect you to understand one iota of where i am coming from, you bought one releasae like you say, and were over the moon about it. of course you have nothing but accolades for master wroks. it was an aweosme release, top notch, but you have not supported denny from day one to make the same obsevation as me. like i said if you would go back and see. I along with many others, ask popculture, had to do body swaps for the first bunch of figures, some were so bad they would flop over if held in your hand,. to denny's credit he did find a better body, and has changed, there were also shoes, and hands. more than your aware of. I am not entitled to the upgrade swords, but what i am saying it would have been a nice surprise! theres just something about going back into paypal and forking over another $80+ shipping maybe, after shelling out $1,500+ its not the $80, for me it becomes the principal of it. i have bought 90% of what they have released, and everytime the best they offer, dx versions. if i am not a valued customer i dont know what is? i am a v.i.p. member, now do not take this the worng way, anybody, as i have not complained to denny at all, but i asked for my 3 free heads 6 months ago.i am sure there is a reason why its 6 months, but why should it be 6 months! do you understand how i would feel that maybe my support really doesnt and isnt on their minds. what i would hate to think is that they thought of adding the sword for the dx version and decided not too. or they just didnt think of it. either way to ME, there both a bad choice. in the end it makes no difference, the figure is here and i am sure many will be thrilled, as they should. looks great.
Just a few things
Masterworks is a business. Therefore the main goal is profitability. Are there secondary goals? Good product? Yes. Niche market! Yes. Building customer base and loyalty? Absolutely. However decisions of materials and supplies and in this case bodies are made with three important factors as it relates to the viability of each release. Quality. Availability. And cost. Some bodies might score a 10 or 9 in quality but if cost and availability are 3 and 5 masterworks opts for the body option that scores 7.5 in quality but offers a 8 in availability and a 8 in price. Because in t he end (the cumulative score) is higher. Denny tries his best to achieve all the goals.

Regarding the sword...small runs of metal swords are very expensive. Playboy can get away with I because they are producing 5000 pieces not 70. In fact Denny isn't making any money on the sword upgrade he's merely offering it to those collectors who want to pony up the difference because the alternative of rolling it I to the cost of the fullset and making everyone buy it didn't sit well with him. It's the reason GPS or back up cameras aren't standard in the car market. Is it essential? Some would argue yes. Those are the customers who spend the money in it. $40 is about 10% of the figure cost. If Denny gave a 10% discount across the board how profitable a business does it become?

Back