power supply issue?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Electricity

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey,
I was hoping maybe someone could help me out with a question I have. I woke up this morning and my computer, which I had left on, was off and would not turn on. I've cleaned out the inside with one of those compressed air things and tried plugging the power chord into different working outlets (we had alot of electrical issues from the hurricane in NYC) but had no luck. I was hoping it was something silly like that but I got to thinking that it may have to do with upgrading my video card some time ago.

My power supply is a Sunbeam IC-PSU-US-2545-DW 450W white box Power Supply
and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI / TVO PCI-Express Graphics Card which recommends 500W

My friend gave me it, since he upgraded and didnt need it and said I should be fine running it on that power supply...but my thought is that it probably just killed it after about 6 months or so.

While the power supply doesn't smell burnt or look damaged recently it's been getting to be a bit louder...and I know it's definitely the power supply fan. I've also had an issue of the power button not working if the computer has been off for a while, so I basically would have to flip the power supply from on to off and then back to on for it to work.

and possibly related...my cd drive has stopped reading discs. Is this because the power supply is diverting power to the graphics card or something?

Anyways, if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them as I am not to computer savvy these days. here's hoping it's just the power supply!

Thank you very much for reading!

I imagined you typing all that on this:

Computer.jpg

:lol

It is a nice card but those older ones are very power hungry. The 500W power supply is the bare minimum so I would upgrade it to 600W.

I had a computer that did the same once. Regardless of the cord a surge fried it.

If you weren't on a surge protector...it's likely dead.

Back