Post your Jedi Luke repaints here

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here's mine in rough form. I don't have any experience in painting, so everything is trial and error. I try a little bit of everything I can imagine. Most things don't work, but some do...bit by bit. If I could learn how to properly blend colors together in a subtle manner, I think it could do wonders. One shade more or less can make all the difference. It's also amazing how you can have something just right, and then you're painting around it....and BAM, the brush hairs decide to flex one millimeter and you have to do it over again! AHHH! lol Painting can certainly be a very frustrating experience, but it is rewarding when you can get the figure just a little bit closer to the way you envision.

img1132600bk7.jpg

Hey,I think your repaint looks great,especially for just starting out.
I can see how it must be frustrating especially in this scale and to be a perfectionist which I am pretty sure you are along with Darren.It's hardly ever good enough to yourself and alot of times an artist has to settle because it seems perfection is elusive. I have been sculpting my first 1/6 scale headsculpt for a Year!! Yes a Year!! So, I know the frustration of being a perfectionist.It has been a learning process,so I know the next time out it will not take as long since I have been gaining knowledge of the process.I will tell you that sculpting has tested my patience more than anything I have ever done.I know that it will suck though,when I finally finish the piece,post pics here and have it picked apart.:D There are sculpts that I see that I don't much care for,or are off, but I don't openly nitpick much about them because I know firsthand how freakin hard it is to do.If there were alot of people here that actually tried to sculpt a head, I think they would have a greater appreciation of the work and be a little more forgiving of "not so great sculpts" or paint jobs. This is tedious stuff, I mean you gotta hold your mouth just right and not breath to hard or everything goes to s!@t!!:rotfl Sorry,to ramble Justin,but you have real potential, "an artist's eye"

Sorry,but I also wanted to add that I personally think the secret weapon a great painter has is to take a sculpt that isn't that great and literally paint the likeness on the sculpt.I think Les is great at this.I really like Josh and Darren's style too...........

Wow, thanks for sharing some insights Darren and Miles! And Miles, you weren't rambling at all! lol Please feel free to write more. I tell you, it's nice to hear other people's paint and sculpting experiences because it can get frustrating going through these problems alone and not knowing if you are the only one experiencing them. Darren, the eyes you've done are some of the best I've ever seen. Your perseverance has definitely paid off. I still struggle to get the irises, let alone the pupils, symmetrical and round. One of the main challenges is to get the paint consistency just right, so that the paint is thin enough to lie flat, but not watery where it pools. And then when you do touch-ups, you can't apply too many layers before it has a built-up look. I find myself dipping my brush so often, just to get a minuscule amount of paint on the tip and then it not leaving the brush where its intended!

With Luke, I wanted to get rid of the 'surprised' look. At first, I painted his eyes looking up. But because of his eyelids, it just made him look lazy eyed. That's not to say he didn't look like that through most of the film. ;) So I lowered the eyes back down with a gaze slightly to the left and I lowered his eyebrows, based on comparisons to movie stills. I also added the scars above his lip, although they aren't visible in the photos. That's another challenge I have: how subtle or noticeable does a facial feature needs to be in order to compliment the likeness.

Putting Luke's head on Maul's body(a shorter body) I think will just make his head look even more huge.

I did the same thing, but swithced it with Oz's body. It looks fine. Saved the original body in case I decide to put it back.

No offense to those that tried, but Les is the only person who's Luke repaint was better than sideshows.

I totally agree... Mine was rubbish... :lol

I really want to try him again eventually, for now... he keeps his hood up. My repaint made him look far too sleepy. It was done at the beginning, before I had really much experience (epsecially at eyes). Justin, that looks really good so far. Keep it up bro, the eye placement is perfect.

I know what you mean about the brush tip moving just a smidgeon... ruining all the work you just put into the eyes. I get really nervous when I do eyes and I have to have all cylinders pumping or else I am not happy. It's a hard thing to jump in and do.

I did the same thing, but swithced it with Oz's body. It looks fine. Saved the original body in case I decide to put it back.

Do you have some pictures? One next to Anakin or another Sideshow figure? Thanks.

I actually don't like the eyes on that Luke, though the rest is nice. The eyes are almost too vivid in color, they almost look like some form of Sith eyes and remind me of the contacts Ferrigno wore in the old Incredible Hulk TV show. There have been some nice repaints of this figure, but I've always felt, and still do, that Jedi Luke is one of the few that are fine without ever taking a brush to it, and I really mean do nothing to it. Even Obi-Wan, which I love, could be better with different hair shades, so putting Luke on a list of ones I don't think need any work really says something of my opinion of it. Sideshow gave me my beloved incarnation of Luke, and they nailed it.

Josh, I kind of agree with you. Those eyes are very striking and vivid, but they are a tad unnerving in their brightness, not quite realistic. Although the talent behind them is unquestionable. Hong is a master.

What the hell, I re-post my stuff again...

Lukeunpaint.jpg

PA140043.jpg

P9200035.jpg

Its a work in progress at the moment but hurricane said I could go ahead and post his work. This is the luke that I've comissioned hm to repaint for me.

DSCF0103.jpg

What'cha think?

Its a work in progress at the moment but hurricane said I could go ahead and post his work. This is the luke that I've comissioned hm to repaint for me.

DSCF0103.jpg

What'cha think?

Looks like a cross between Regan from the Exorcist and David Soul from Salem's Lot.

I like it. I had a similar idea at one time, but changed my mind. Keep us posted. Very interesting indeed.

will do. Like i said, It's a WiP. I just got the UV suit the other day and I'll be shipping that out to hurricane soon. I'm sure he will post it when he's done :)

Back