Possible eBay problem (need advice)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't really dealt with any problems on eBay before and was looking for some advice.

I bought a Hot Toys Ezio body on eBay on May 3rd. The seller sent me the details saying that the item was shipped by DHL on the 10th and provided a tracking number and tracking site link. The link he provided was a site with an expired security certificate, so I contacted DHL by phone and they said that the tracking number is invalid and I should contact the seller for a correct one.

Do I need to start moving forward with a paypal claim now, or wait to see if the seller replies or the item arrives?

time is on your side . give him he alotted time . if his replies or actions are not to your satisfaction then pull the claim trigger.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can post to make a claim after 13 days? But yes it does sound like he could be taking you for a ride or you could have the same possible scenario I had myself last month, I bought an item and they said it was sent out and gave me tracking details which did not work and when I pressed them they told me my item was "lost" in transit and refunded me but it was clear they never had the item to sell.

Take pictures and keep every message you send and take a picture of the listing.

Hi,

I haven't really dealt with any problems on eBay before and was looking for some advice.

I bought a Hot Toys Ezio body on eBay on May 3rd. The seller sent me the details saying that the item was shipped by DHL on the 10th and provided a tracking number and tracking site link. The link he provided was a site with an expired security certificate, so I contacted DHL by phone and they said that the tracking number is invalid and I should contact the seller for a correct one.

Do I need to start moving forward with a paypal claim now, or wait to see if the seller replies or the item arrives?

When is doubt, open a claim. If it gets resolved it's no harm done to the Seller. If you wait too long you could end up boned.

When is doubt, open a claim. If it gets resolved it's no harm done to the Seller. If you wait too long you could end up boned.

Not completely true. Once a claim is filed the seller's funds are frozen immediately for the amount of the auction. If the seller has already withdrawn the funds he will need to make good on that amount before he can use his Paypal account again. A real pain in the butt for the seller when a buyer is quick to file a claim.

the seller really should have funds available in case there is a problem.thats why i never withdraw funds until i know i have a satisfied customer .

the seller really should have funds available in case there is a problem.thats why i never withdraw funds until i know i have a satisfied customer .

Not a rule but that is very nice of you. I was wondering how you know they are all satisfied since the majority of buyers never leave feedback.

Not a rule but that is very nice of you. I was wondering how you know they are all satisfied since the majority of buyers never leave feedback.

I'm guessing satisfied in this case means the buyer hasn't filed a claim with ebay within the 45 day period.

i try very hard to give a very accurate description of my wares . so i never have any issues wether it be here or ebay . but in this hobby you never know what the customers idea of accurate may be so i communicate with them after i see they have recieved the item to make sure everything is good . i cant remember not getting feedback on ebay.

Last edited:
Not completely true. Once a claim is filed the seller's funds are frozen immediately for the amount of the auction. If the seller has already withdrawn the funds he will need to make good on that amount before he can use his Paypal account again. A real pain in the butt for the seller when a buyer is quick to file a claim.

Not true. The seller has a chance to respond to the inquiries and or document requests from PayPal/Ebay. Only if the seller fails to respond or supply satisfactory tracking and proof of delivery does PayPal/Ebay take action to reverse charges and refund the buyer. If the seller has electronic proof of shipping and delivery the burden falls to the buyer. If an investigation ensues having to do with other issues like breakage and or the quality of an item advertised as NEW, the seller's payment is reversed back to the buyer only upon conclusion of the investigation in the buyer's favor and the closing of the case.

From PayPal regarding Item Disputes:

Did the wrong item arrive? Did your order not arrive at all, or was it significantly different than described? Open a dispute - and open up the lines of communication. You and the seller can discuss the problem and try to come to a mutually agreeable resolution.

As many disputes are caused by misunderstandings, they are often easily resolved. However, if you and the seller are unable to come to an agreement on your own, your next step is to escalate it to a claim, which means PayPal will make a decision in favor of either the buyer or the seller.

If you decide to open a dispute, be aware that you must open it within 45 days of the date you made your payment, and that you and the seller will have 20 days to work things out.

And if you choose to escalate your dispute to a claim, you must do so within 20 days of opening the dispute, or it will be closed automatically.

Last edited:
Not true. The seller has a chance to respond to the inquiries and or document requests from PayPal/Ebay. Only if the seller fails to respond or supply satisfactory tracking and proof of delivery does PayPal/Ebay take action to reverse charges and refund the buyer. If the seller has electronic proof of shipping and delivery the burden falls to the buyer. If an investigation ensues having to do with other issues like breakage and or the quality of an item advertised as NEW, the seller's payment is reversed back to the buyer only upon conclusion of the investigation in the buyer's favor and the closing of the case.
[/I]

I didn't say they would refund the buyer. I said they would freeze the amount in the sellers Paypal account until the dispute was settled.

I just went through this a couple of months ago so I know it as fact. I had withdrawn the funds and when the buyer filed a claim of item not received, Paypal immediately froze the funds and left my Paypal account in a negative balance. I responded to all inquires and submitted tracking as requested (funds still frozen). The buyer ended up receiving the item about a week after the claim was filed and the funds were then unfrozen.

Last edited:
ask him for a receipt of the shipping. if he did ship it he should have a receipt that states the tracking, the place it was going to and how much was it (including the date)

I didn't say they would refund the buyer. I said they would freeze the amount in the sellers Paypal account until the dispute was settled.

I just went through this a couple of months ago so I know it as fact. I had withdrawn the funds and when the buyer filed a claim of item not received, Paypal immediately froze the funds and left my Paypal account in a negative balance. I responded to all inquires and submitted tracking as requested (funds still frozen). The buyer ended up receiving the item about a week after the claim was filed and the funds were then unfrozen.

Yep your totally right and it is a pain. I had the same done to me a few months back. They automatically negative your account. Im sure if you sell items in the process, the money chips away at the negative balance.
Its a real pain. If your dispute runs for a long period of time, I think they lift the negative balance until the dispute is sorted out.
Mine ran for 3 months but didnt stay negative all that time.

ive had a not as described case opened against me a month AFTER the buyer having it.claiming not to have opened the package untill the day of the claim!!saying the item broke when her son played with it.and wants me to refund the full amount..NO CHANCE!!.

ive had a not as described case opened against me a month AFTER the buyer having it.claiming not to have opened the package untill the day of the claim!!saying the item broke when her son played with it.and wants me to refund the full amount..NO CHANCE!!.

That is the problem with ebay now. Some see it as an advantage to get more money off an item by partial refund as ebay tends to side with the buyer.
The seller has very little protection and tends to get screwed!

Update: I received the item on Tuesday, I feel quite relieved, heh.

Thanks for the advice everyone (hopefully I won't be in a situation to use it in the future though :))

the buyer waited a month then states the figure broke when her son played with,saying item was defect (no it wasnt) and blaming me for not describing it correctly.she has no prior knowledge of these type of figures (medicom RAH ETD) and i think her son broke it by being heavy handed...its not action man my dear!!

ebay really sucks now as a seller- i sold some stuff- buyer never paid and i cant even leave negative feedback about them!!!

Back