Popeye Doyle Here

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ortizwerx

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looking for some constructive criticism from my fellow board members. I commissioned this sculpt of one of my favorite actors/characters of all time. Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle from The French Connection. Here are some pictures:

popeye0.jpg

popeye1.jpg

popeye2.jpg

popeye3.jpg

popeye4.jpg

popeye5.jpg

french-connection-sept-18.jpg

I'm looking to offer these once they are ready to cast. A version with and one without the hat. Since the majority here are avid collector's and I am in the hopes to sell some of these off to help commission other heads, tell me what you think?

Thanks, Gents and Ladies.

Great! One of my all time favorite characters.
The eyes should be more squinty . But close enough. I'd take one

More "set" to the mouth (as in the Bluray cover) or jaw (as in your reference) might also make him more pugnacious and in-your-face. I do see young Hackman there. Thanks for undertaking a great character. The porkpie hat is a must!

If it's still a work in progress I'd redo the mouth and jaw line, as they are the main issues I have with the sculpt. The jaw should be stronger (it's too small) and the mouth a little "meaner". Also the top portion of the hat, not the brim, seems a little large. Eyes a bit squintier and brows a little meaner might also add to the feel of the character.

Maybe the face slightly longer.

With these fixes I'd be interested in getting one.

Sean

love popeye....but GH has a very distinct mout, the corners turn down...this mouth is just too off in ,my op,. if that got fixed it would be a killer...the eyes wouldnt kill the sculpt...the mouth would...

Gentleman,

Thanks so much for the feedback. All comments were appreciated. I will discuss with the sculptor on the topic of making Gene look a little meaner and narrower. I will get back to everyone with another update shortly.

In the meantime what does everyone think would be a fair price to charge for a copy of this head? I will be offering a version with a hat and one without. I liked him as Buck Barrow in Bonnie and Clyde so I had a version done without his hat.

Gentleman,

Thanks so much for the feedback. All comments were appreciated. I will discuss with the sculptor on the topic of making Gene look a little meaner and narrower. I will get back to everyone with another update shortly.

In the meantime what does everyone think would be a fair price to charge for a copy of this head? I will be offering a version with a hat and one without. I liked him as Buck Barrow in Bonnie and Clyde so I had a version done without his hat.

Usually the heads go for about $50 (maybe $10 more for the hat)

Gentleman,

That is what I would use one for :yess::yess::yess::yess:

Back