Please check your Ironman 1:1 bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received the Darkness LSB from an Ebay seller. Bust was brand new. :horror Paint cracking off is a total disaster. :horror. :banghead As you can see from his face, he seems really happy that his skin is falling off.:confused:

darkness2.jpg

darkness1.jpg

darkness3.jpg

Guess what guys, a person on statueforum.com now has reported flaking on their Sabretooth LSB bust. This seems to be happening with a lot of busts, I am very scared now to take on future SideShow product.

If I were ss QC, I'd determineif these came from the same Chinese plant and what others ones did. Strange how same problems sideshow is having with quality control is the same problem I am having with Asian vendors at my work.

Way to outsource quality/jobs America.

If these were made in america...you would be paying triple the price

I agree. The cost would probably be too high. Many collectors aren't even willing to pay current retail prices.

As for the Darkness bust, anyone know how many confirmed cases of this problem exist? Is it possible the ebay seller stored it in extreme heat or other bad climate conditions?

Last edited:
Guess what guys, a person on statueforum.com now has reported flaking on their Sabretooth LSB bust. This seems to be happening with a lot of busts, I am very scared now to take on future SideShow product.

No friggin way. How long after an item has been sold will SS honor a return for defective product.

I agree. The cost would probably be too high. Many collectors aren't even willing to pay current retail prices.

A simple and most likely inexpensive quality check of the operations and facility could prevent this. I'm not asking that Much except that for $300, the life expectancy of the product is longer than a couple of years.

You may be okay with this, but this has me seriously concerned about the life of my Collectibles.

As for the Darkness bust, anyone know how many confirmed cases of this problem exist? Is it possible the ebay seller stored it in extreme heat or other bad climate conditions?

It must be a known defect because I just read freaks speculating whether or not the new Black version Darkness bust would have paint flaking issues. Several members in that thread claimed that they had to return their red Darkness LSB because of this issue.
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67594&page=3

The Ebay seller? It is definitely possible that the bust was kept in extreme heat or cold. For all I know he could have stored this thing in a shed in his backyard. However, I doubt dealers in high end collectibles would be so foolish.

If the replacement bust has even the tiniest hint of paint flaking, I will have no choice but to return it and ask for a refund. :(

Same thing happen to my Darknes lsb and after checking each of my SS products the same thing happen to the base of PredAlien maquette base.

This is a very purplexing....how can a company that prides themselves on high end collectibles have paint application issues with so many different lines?...its not like their new to the game and are just learing how to paint.
I have wood chairs in my back yard that I spray painted white with a can of paint I bought at a Canadian tire for $7.....5 years later those chairs are still white with absolutely no cracking or pealing of any kind. Despite being left outdoors through winter and summer. Surely that would be the greatest test of paint application....being weatherd down for 5 year and they still dont have the paint issues a $700 IM bust has or a $300 Darkness LSB has. How do you explain this SS.....their really is no excuse for it.
I can understand if this is an isolated incident, where 1 or 2 out of 1000 may have this issue. But when you have claims in the double digits that are expanding into different lines.. what trust is this going to inspire in your customers or products? I've already passed on a few pieces released due to possible paint issues (1/2 Iron man) and seeing some of the pictures members of this forum have posted have made me nervous of collecting other lines you carry.
Basically SS, you need to get their Sh** together and fast. Your QC needs a serious overhaul.....theirs nothing "collectible" about a collectible that falls apart right after your open it.

Chris

EPIC FAIL AT SIDESHOW !!!!!

And China must be destroyed.

I just caught up with the last few pages, and "wow" is the only word that comes to mind. I'm sorry to hear about all of the QC issues coming out of the "wood work." I still go back and forth about purchasing a 1:1 Iron Man bust, but honestly, I just can't do it. I don't want to risk paying hundreds of dollars on a "mint" bust, only to see it literally fall apart in front of me months later (and with no recourse in terms of a return/replacement goes.) I have no doubt that the 1:1 looks great in person (when it's mint,) but how long it remains mint is the million dollar question, IMO. :(

I just caught up with the last few pages, and "wow" is the only word that comes to mind. I'm sorry to hear about all of the QC issues coming out of the "wood work." I still go back and forth about purchasing a 1:1 Iron Man bust, but honestly, I just can't do it. I don't want to risk paying hundreds of dollars on a "mint" bust, only to see it literally fall apart in front of me months later (and with no recourse in terms of a return/replacement goes.) I have no doubt that the 1:1 looks great in person (when it's mint,) but how long it remains mint is the million dollar question, IMO. :(

:lecture:lecture:lecture

It no doubt has to do with the state of the world economy and attempts to save on costs at all levels, we know that some of the factories that SS used to use in China have shut down; and I would think from a PR perspective SS is more concerned about this than any of us.

I would pay extra for these pieces if SS put out some kind of bulletin or video showing the steps they take to ensure quality or of the manufacturing process. I own $3000+ large scale model cars...and for that money the companies that make them actually give you a break down of how their made as well as describing the materials used to show you why anyone would pay $3000 for a model car. Why would a $2000 1/2 Iron man or Bust be any different?

Below is an example of what im talking about. This is the break down of a 1/12 scale Mercedes-Benz SLR by a company called CMC that makes very high end model cars with extream attention to detail. I own one of these cars and believe me everything stated on their website about the quality of their product is exactly what you get!
I believe SS should start employing somthing similar to at least give their customers piece of mind.

https://www.cmc-modelcars.de/modelle/en/1_12/MB_McLaren_details.htm

Chris

Back