Placing detolf a shelf across the top of a group of detolfs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarakawa

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So, most of my display consists of detolfs but I tend to place my heavy hitters either on the bottom or on top of them. This is my current set up:
1530530_685791278121882_1567293072_n.jpg

So, my plan is to place a wood shelf that spans the entire top of the detolfs and bridges the gap between them. What do you guys think? I think oak would probably be strong enough. I plan on still keeping the heavier pieces over the actual detolfs and maybe having my DC females over the gap. I am pretty confident the detolfs are strong enough to support it. Just wondering if anyone has tried somethign like this or even about a specific wood that would be better?

you'll be putting alot of stress on the glass walls, especially the bottom one.

I have these units myself, and I have to say (as someone who has actually built wood cabinets), you are taking a HUGE risk with the statues you have already sitting on top of these things. Very little holds those glass panels up, cheap metal frame and crappy plastic. You're already putting a lot of stress on those panels; adding a board, particularly oak, and then adding more statues on top of that... you'll come home one day to a disaster. You'd be better off building an entire cabinet system out of oak, rather than relying on these cheap Detolfs to hold that kind of weight. I only put 1/6 scale action figures in mine, because they don't weigh anything. Be very careful, my friend, I'd hate to see you lose your collection; and please, for the love of God, don't add anymore to the top.

Bottom one? All the support glass is vertical.

the top one where you intend to put it horizontal...

anyway prepare an mp3 of London Bridge Is Falling Down.

btw i'm just replying based on your title, didn't bother reading the content and seems like it's a totally different story but i don't care. *London Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down, Falling Down,London Bridge is Falling Down, my fair Statues。

Fair enough. Appreciate the feedback Stryker! I am confident the statues on top right now are fine. To me, detolfs feel very solid. The detolf itself is damn heavy IMO. I'm not worried about that. And Potato, uhh thanks...for nothing...

*london Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down, Fall ing Down,London Bridge is Falling Down, my fair St atues

ondon Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down,  Fall ing Down,London Bridge is Falling Down, my f air Potato...

I have these units myself, and I have to say (as someone who has actually built wood cabinets), you are taking a HUGE risk with the statues you have already sitting on top of these things. Very little holds those glass panels up, cheap metal frame and crappy plastic. You're already putting a lot of stress on those panels; adding a board, particularly oak, and then adding more statues on top of that... you'll come home one day to a disaster. You'd be better off building an entire cabinet system out of oak, rather than relying on these cheap Detolfs to hold that kind of weight. I only put 1/6 scale action figures in mine, because they don't weigh anything. Be very careful, my friend, I'd hate to see you lose your collection; and please, for the love of God, don't add anymore to the top.

Completely agree. Plus, tbh I think it will look like poop if you add a shelf. :lol

As others have stated, I wouldn't even have the statues you have on top of there right now - Detolfs aren't THAT sturdy, IMO, to put large statues on the tops of them like you have.

I use the ones I have for 1/6th, and don't have anything weighing any heavier than them on the top.

I would go to bed afraid of the crash, if I did something like that.

and it seems like TC has the wheels installed on them, i won't trust those cheap wheels, it'd be sturdier without them.

and it seems like TC has the wheels installed on them, i won't trust those cheap wheels, it'd be sturdier without them.

Nope don't have the wheels. I think they are pretty sturdy. The mid glass shelf not so much but the top wood board is held up by the three sheets of glass and those are pretty damn sturdy. If you actually push down a little on the top, it's solid. I'm not worried about that at all. If I saw the bottom or top panels splintering, I would be cautious. I think people are concerned because the inner frame holding up the inner glass plates feels frail but that's not what's holding up the top board. The top board is the most solid piece next to the bottom board. But yea, I've already decided to nix the make shift shelf. I might just install a wall shelf bolted securely into a wall stud.

Nope don't have the wheels. I think they are pretty sturdy. The mid glass shelf not so much but the top wood board is held up by the three sheets of glass and those are pretty damn sturdy. If you actually push down a little on the top, it's solid. I'm not worried about that at all. If I saw the bottom or top panels splintering, I would be cautious. I think people are concerned because the inner frame holding up the inner glass plates feels frail but that's not what's holding up the top board. The top board is the most solid piece next to the bottom board. But yea, I've already decided to nix the make shift shelf. I might just install a wall shelf bolted securely into a wall stud.

Not familiar with Wall Studs, but they better be able to hold the weight. All i know is they are secured with few bolts.

You spend thousands on your collection. Don't use cheap **** to display it. Google detolf disasters... There are plenty out there.

You spend thousands on your collection. Don't use cheap **** to display it. Google detolf disasters... There are plenty out there.

I googled that and didnt see any images of the top shelf breaking. One had the front door broken which I don't know how that's even possible. That person had a Doom PF on top of his detolf and it was fine. Other breakages involved the middle shelf. clearly, if you abuse something, it's going to break. Mine are in ideal conditions with little to no contact. I've had mine on top for several years and there has never been any signs of bowing, bending, or cracking. From what I've seen, people who place more items and have 4 shelves are putting more weight on the insides of their detolfs than I am. The top is solid guys, I wouldn't put stuff up there if I thought it wasn't going to hold. One reason I'm sorta glad SSC's stuff is all eggshells these days:lol

Back