Painting Model Kits (Frankenstein, Weird-Ohs, etc) - What Do I Need?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grosby

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've never built a model kit before and I'm looking for advice of any tips people have here on beginning, particularly with painting. The kits I would want build are things like Frankenstein, Dracula, Weird-Ohs, etc, I'm not talking about building cars, jet, army figures, etc.

Below is a picture of a painted kit that has an approach I like a lot, that sort of flat/simple colouring is what I want to be doing. That kit was painted largely with an airbrush but I am going to be beginning with just paintbrushes.

With paints, I'm looking at getting enamel paints. But what would I need beyond that, that's what I'm having trouble working out. Do I need some sort of spray or coat that I put over everything in the end? Do I need to spray something before painting?

I've tried searching for the answer to this (here and elsewhere) and it's been a little tough. I think I've found all I need to know about actually building the kit, but simple painting information that's not for painting a vehicle has been tough to find.

AY_deadly.jpg

hi grosby

i would suggest acrylic paint for your desired project-it dryes quicker, it can be diluted with water instead of solvents like white spirit etc.

you need to wash the assembled figure before painting-mild soapy water and let it dry by itself.
there are special primers for plastic modelling and also varnishes if you want your figure to be matted or glossy at the end.

enamel paint is NOT suitable for vinyl-figures! they take acrylic colors very well after some prepping with acrylic primer.

you need to practice with the consistency of the color (enamel or acrylic or fine art oil colors) and brush technique in order to achieve such uniform areas like in your example. i used an airbrush along with some masking tape for bigger areas and the bristle brush for details (teeth etc.)

tamiya acrylics are very nice to work with (for my taste)
there`s a ton of how-to`s on the web (altough for other themes like military figures etc.)

modellers tend to use primers for two reasons: more grip for the colors on the model and (very important) a check up method to see gaps, molding lines and imperfections easier before painting cause everything will show through the color...

Back